MINUTES OF REGULAR MEETING OF SCHOOL BOARD
OF BLOOMFIELD SCHOOL DISTRICT
January 31, 2008
The Board of School Trustees of the Bloomfield School District, of Greene County, Indiana, met in regular session on January 31, 2008, in the jr/sr high school conference room in Bloomfield Junior/Senior High School, 501 West Spring Street, Bloomfield, Indiana. The following school board members were present: Doug Frye, Steve Dowden, Keith Hanauer, Marvin Helms, Robert Kirk, Sandra Parkes May, and Eric Moody. President Moody called the meeting to order at approximately 7:10 p.m. The following order of business was transacted with the President presiding:
1. Recognitions. Mr. Parsley recognized his Special Education Department teachers Savilla Jones, Tina Shields, and Dara Pilant as January Faculty of the Month. He credited all of the jr/sr high school staff including Mrs. Margaret Osmon, as well as Turning Point Education Center for the jr/sr high school having a good graduation rate. Mr. Parsley extended an invitation for board members to attend the Annual NJROTC Inspection on March 6, 2008. Steve Dowden commented to the recent talk of consolidation of smaller schools and referred to the recent Herald Times article concerning graduation rates in which Mr. Parsley was quoted to have said that he felt being a small school had some advantages in that students and staff can have a closer relationship. Mr. Dowden also gave Mr. Parsley recognition on the handling of a recent onset of parent concerns about a particular textbook used in a Bloomfield jr/sr high school classroom. He said Mr. Parsley took quick action to take care of those concerns. Going back to the article on graduation rates Superintendent Sichting stated that he hoped the Governor takes into consideration that most of the Indiana schools leading in graduation rate are the small schools. Mr. Dowden also noted a great inspection report from the Greene County Health Department of the school cafeteria, which showed no violations.
2. Approval of Minutes. The Board had been provided with minutes of the regular school board meeting held on December 26, 2007, and the special and executive session both held on January 15, 2008, which had been prepared by corporation recording secretary Kelli Vandeventer. Doug Frye moved to approve the minutes as presented with one amendment to the January 15, 2008 executive session attendance to list Keith Hanauer as absent. Steve Dowden seconded the motion. The minutes were approved by a 7-0 vote.
3. Treasurer’s Report. The Board had been provided with the Treasurer’s Report, prepared by corporation treasurer Sue Pritts, consisting of the Appropriation Report and Claims Listing Report. Upon motion duly made by Robert Kirk and seconded by Marvin Helms, the Board by a 7-0 vote approved the Treasurer’s Report.
4. Board Approves Transfer of Appropriations in 2007 Budget. It was recommended the Board accept a report from the Bloomfield School District’s Treasurer showing transfers within and among both minor and major categories in all funds in order to allow for expenditures to close out the 2007 budget. (See Attached) Marvin Helms moved to approve the report. Doug Frye seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
5. Board Approves Resolution For Continued Disclosure Undertaking. Superintendent Sichting presented the Board with a resolution prepared by Jane Herndon, Bond Council, Ice-Miller LLP, which is required by law in bonding for the lower elementary renovation project. President Moody read the proposed resolution. Keith Hanauer made a motion to approve the resolution. At this time, school attorney Todd Corn presented the Board with an amended version of the proposed resolution that had been forwarded to him by the Bond Council in Indianapolis and asked that they approve it instead of the one presented by Mr. Sichting. (See Attached) Mr. Corn read the amended resolution and stated it added the approval of the Fifth Amendment to Lease. He explained that the Fourth Amendment to Lease listed the repayment period to start in June of 2008. He said the Fifth Amendment to Lease changes the repayment period to begin in June of 2009. Mr. Sichting added when contact was first made with the tax control board in October it was assumed that bonds might be sold in 2007, which did not happen. Bonds will be sold in 2008, which means payments would start in 2009. At this time Mr. Hanauer withdrew his motion. Robert Kirk moved to approve the amended resolution presented by Mr. Corn. Sandy May seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
6. Board Hears Update on 2008 Certified Budget Appropriations. President Moody read an update provided by Superintendent Sichting on 2008 Certified Budget Appropriations. Mr. Moody read…On Friday, January 18, 2008, information usually presented to representatives of the Department of Local Government Finance during budget hearings was forwarded to the local field representative as requested. During a phone conversation, the local field representative indicated Greene County soon would be ready for a budget hearing. At this time, no 2008 Assessed Values have been determined for Greene County. After 2008 Assessed Values are determined, it will be approximately six weeks to eight weeks for the Department of Local Government Finance to determine certified tax rates. The normal timetable in mailing tax bills after determining certified tax rates is three months after assessed property values are determined for each taxing district in the county. This item was for information only. No action by the Board was required.
7. Superintendent Gives Information on D.P.I. 54 Monthly State Tuition Support. Superintendent Sichting provides board members with information on the first Basic Grant tuition support payment of the 2008 budget year received from the state of Indiana. (See Attached) President Moody read the previously prepared information… On January 15, 2008, Bloomfield School District received the first Basic Grant tuition support payment of the 2008 budget year from the state of Indiana. The January 15th DPI 54 payment reflected a $16,084.73 increase in state tuition support. It should be noted the Department of Education’s standard procedure is to base the early payment amounts on target tax rates in each county. As tax rates are finalized in each taxing district, the Division of School Finance normally adjusts the DPI 54 payment. It should also be noted as a result of an excess collection of Excise tax receipts, Bloomfield School District should expect a cut in the monthly Basic Grant tuition support payment from the Indiana Department of Education. Mr. Sichting said that school funding has been cut each of the last six months of 2007. He explained that is due to some Indiana counties not having their 2007 or 2008 assessed values yet. He said that once those counties receive their assessed values the state would then start adjusting payments to school districts.
8. Board Approves Resolution Assigning Energy Savings Contract to Building Corporation, Exhibit A. President Moody read an Exhibit A, Resolution Assigning Contract, which would assign the energy savings contract relating to the Bloomfield Elementary School and Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School to the Building Corporation. (See Attached) Robert Kirk moved to approve the Resolution. Steve Dowden seconded the motion. Superintendent Sichting explained that basically what the Board is doing by approving this resolution is to approve the selling of school real estate to raise money to fund the upcoming renovations. He said the Board would hold a public hearing to discuss the appropriation of the funds received from the sale of real estate on March 20, 2007. The Resolution was passed by a 7-0 vote.
9. Custodian Hired. It was recommend the Board hire Ms. Cindy Hays to fill the vacant custodial III position, created by a retirement, effective February 4, 2008. (See Attached) Steve Dowden made a motion to hire Ms. Hays per the recommendation. Marvin Helms seconded the motion. Mr. Sichting stated this position would be for five hours per day and 200 days per year. Ms. Cindy Hays was hired by a 7-0 vote.
10. Senior Naval Science Instructor Decides Not to Retire at This Time. Superintendent Sichting explained that Senior Naval Science Instructor Lt. Clayton Ostergren had submitted his letter of retirement to the Board at the December 26, 2007 board meeting only then to learn that the state of Indiana had made a mistake in crediting his years of service. He said as a result of that mistake Lt. Ostergren would be short of the minimum service credit needed for retirement. Superintendent Sichting recommended the Board rescind Lt. Ostergren’s retirement request approved at the December 26, 2007 meeting. Mr. Sichting said his recommendation to rescind Lt. Ostergren’s letter of retirement is also based on his position being a shortage area in terms of finding a replacement. (See Attached) Steve Dowden moved to approve the recommendation. Doug Frye seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
11. 2007-2008 ECA Recommendations Approved. Board members were provided with ECA recommendations for the 2007-2008 school year from Mr. Parsley and Mr. Hudson. Superintendent Sichting included his support of these recommendations. Jessica Lauderdale was recommended to serve as Softball coach, Kevin Gott as Junior Varsity Softball coach, Larry Zschiedrich as Volunteer Softball Assistant coach, Jason Pegg as Baseball coach, Joe Pegg as Assistant Baseball coach, Carl Kerns as Junior Varsity Baseball coach, and Tucker Evans as Volunteer Baseball Assistant coach. (See Attached) Keith Hanauer made a motion to approve the recommendations. Sandy May seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-1 vote. Doug Frye cast the nay vote.
12. Board Approves Project Lead the Way Bio-Medical Program Agreement. It was recommended the Board approve the Bio-Medical program agreement for Project Lead the Way. (See Attached) Sandy May made a motion to approve the recommendation. Doug Frye seconded the motion. Superintendent Sichting shared that he and Mr. Parsley were very happy to be able to offer this program to Bloomfield students. The motion passed by a 7-0 vote.
13. Board Hears Results on 2007 ISTEP+ Testing. Both Mr. Parsley and Mrs. Vandeventer gave Board members detailed information on the 2007 ISTEP+ test and results. (See Attached) Mrs. Vandeventer included a power point presentation. Superintendent Sichting shared information from a professional development seminar he had attended on response to intervention. He was excited to learn about changes coming to the way special education student’s abilities are assessed. He said that new special education emphasis is on catching those students up early.
14. Board Policy First Reading Held. First reading was held on one (1) school board policy. #6144, Investment Income was presented to the Board for first reading. (See Attached) Steve Dowden made notice of a correction needed on the first paragraph, adding an “s” to the word fund. This policy will be brought back to a later meeting for approval.
15. Board Grants Authorization for Superintendent to Enter Into Memorandum of Agreement with Greene County Sheriff’s Department. It was recommended the Board authorize Superintendent Sichting to enter into a Memorandum of Agreement with the Greene County Sheriff’s Department to establish reporting protocols for school safety incidents. (See Attached) Sandy May moved to approve the recommendation. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
16. Health Insurance Committee Update. Superintendent Sichting shared information from the Health Insurance Committee. (See Attached) The Bloomfield School District Insurance Committee met on Tuesday, January 15, 2008. At the meeting, Mr. Cassman shared with the committee of the increase in the district’s loss ratio for health insurance from 94% to 98% in December. A timeline was developed for sending out a request for proposals for health insurance coverage in Bloomfield School District. Mr. Sichting told the Board to let him know if there are any insurance companies they would like to receive a copy of the RFP. He said the next meeting of the insurance committee is scheduled for Wednesday, March 12th at 3:10 P.M. A meeting has also been set-up for Tuesday, March 18th at 3:10 P.M. to interview possible health insurance vendors.
17. Collective Bargaining Update. Superintendent Sichting said members of the teacher’s bargaining team and members of the board’s bargaining team met on Tuesday, January 29th. He said the two teams are still a ways from where the teachers want them to be and where bargaining actually is. Mr. Sichting shared that some strides had been made with some issues and that talks had gone very amicably.
There will be another bargaining meeting in April.
18. Results of Greene County Health Department Inspection of Bloomfield School District Cafeteria. On January 16, 2008 representatives from the Greene County Health Department inspected the Bloomfield School District cafeteria. (See Attached) The inspection was a routine inspection with no violations observed or documented. Superintendent Sichting sent congratulations to Jana McIntosh and her cafeteria staff on an outstanding accomplishment.
19. Update on Lower Elementary School Renovation. Superintendent Sichting said that Performance Services is receiving and evaluating submittals for equipment as well as negotiating with sub contractors. He said construction meetings would begin in February. Mr. Sichting stated that he, Harold Holtsclaw and Allen Toon would start meeting next month with teachers to prepare for moving the contents of those classrooms and areas scheduled for renovation.
20. Board Establishes That Publication of Request for Proposals Were Made. President Moody stated that the request for proposals had been published in the Daily World on October 5, 2007 and October 12, 2007. (See Attached) Doug Frye moved to approve the publications. Sandy May seconded the motion.
21. Adjournment. There being no further business Robert Kirk moved to adjourn. Sandy May seconded the motion. The meeting was then adjourned by a 7-0 vote.