MINUTES OF REGULAR MEETING OF SCHOOL BOARD
OF BLOOMFIELD SCHOOL DISTRICT
October 26, 2006
The Board of School Trustees of the Bloomfield School District, of Greene County, Indiana, met in regular session on October 26, 2006, in the jr/sr high school conference room in Bloomfield Junior/Senior High School, 501 West Spring Street, Bloomfield, Indiana. The following school board members were present: Steve Dowden, Doug Frye, Marvin Helms, Robert Kirk, Sandra Parkes May and Eric Moody. Keith Hanauer was absent. President Dowden called the meeting to order at approximately 7:00 p.m. The following order of business was transacted with the President presiding:
1. Recognitions. President Dowden extended condolences to the family of Bloomfield bus driver Bill Vest. A few moments of silence in memory of Mr. Vest was then shared by all present. Elementary principal Mary Jane Vandeventer praised both parents and teachers who attended the recent parent teacher conferences. Superintendent Sichting made recognitions for the high school in Mr. Parsley’s absence. He congratulated the girl’s volleyball players and coaches for their Sectional win and wished them good luck at the Regional. Mr. Sichting congratulated Mrs. Jerrels for conducting a great Choral Festival recently. Then Mr. Sichting invited everyone to the Veteran’s Day Program on the 17th in the Glover Gym.
2. Approval of Minutes. The Board had been provided with minutes of the executive session school board meeting held on September 27, 2006, and the regular school board meeting held on September 28, 2006, which had been prepared by corporation recording secretary Kelli Vandeventer. Robert Kirk moved to approve the minutes as presented. Doug Frye seconded the motion. The minutes were approved by a 6-0 vote.
3. Treasurer’s Report. The Board had been provided with the Treasurer’s Report, prepared by corporation treasurer Sue Pritts, consisting of the Appropriation Report and Claims Listing Report. Upon motion duly made by Marvin Helms and seconded by Eric Moody, the Board by a 6-0 vote approved the Treasurer’s Report.
4. Bid Awarded for Purchase of Sixty-Six Passenger Bus. It was recommended that the Board award the quote for purchasing a sixty-six passenger bus to Midwest Transit Equipment in the amount of $72,859.00. Mr. Sichting explained that there were three quotes received. (See Attached) Marvin Helms moved to approve the recommendation. Eric Moody seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
5. Board Authorizes Participation in Educational Service Centers Risk Funding Trust. It was recommended that the Board authorize participation in the formation of a risk management funding pool for the West Central Indiana Educational Service Center. (See Attached) The superintendent explained that recently the Indiana General Assembly enacted legislation that permits Indiana educational service centers (ESCs) to establish risk funding pools for the benefit of Indiana public school corporations. He said that interested school corporations must pay a fee of $500 to assist in the legal costs of forming the risk management funding pool. Robert Kirk moved to approve the recommendation. Marvin Helms seconded the motion. After some discussion, the motion passed by a 5-1 vote. Doug Frye cast the nay vote.
6. Board Agrees to Allow Educational Services Company to Facilitate Study of Insurance Benefits. Superintendent Sichting explained that the District had utilized Educational Services Company for education of employee benefit trust options previously and that the Bloomfield Teachers Association had requested the continuance of this committee to study health care options for the future. He said that with the increasing cost of healthcare, it is important to evaluate the current plan the District now has. Mr. Sichting recommended that the Board approve an agreement with Educational Services Company to facilitate meetings with a representative of various employee groups to study heath insurance options prior to renewal of the current employee benefit trust. (See Attached) Marvin Helms moved to approve the recommendation. Sandy May seconded the motion. President Dowden commented that he believed that this company with Mr. Cassman as their representative is a big part of the reason there is a signed contract agreement with the teachers’ association presently. After some discussion, the motion passed by a 5-1 vote. Doug Frye cast the nay vote.
7. 2006-2007 Gifted & Talented Grant Application Approved. It was recommended that the Board approve the G/T Coordinator, Mrs. Mary Jane Vandeventer’s, application for a $12,139.00 grant from the Indiana Department of Education. (See Attached) Marvin Helms moved to allow Mrs. Vandeventer to file the Gifted & Talented Grant application. Sandy May seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
8. Substitute Hired for Maternity Leave. It was recommended that the Board hire Mr. Bob Smith to fill in as a long-term substitute position in math created by a maternity leave. (See Attached) Superintendent Sichting said Mr. Smith’s employment should be made retroactive to Monday, October 9, 2006. Robert Kirk moved to approve the recommendation. Eric Moody seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
9. Kindergarten Teacher Hired. Elementary principal Mary Jane Vandeventer asked the Board to hire Mrs. Amy Gaines to fill the Kindergarten vacancy at Bloomfield Elementary, effective October 30, 2006. Superintendent Sichting recommended approval. Eric Moody moved to approve the recommendation. Robert Kirk seconded the motion, which passed by a 5-1 vote. Doug Frye cast the nay vote.
10. Board Hires Elementary Instructional Assistant. Elementary principal Mary Jane Vandeventer asked the Board to hire Erica Pemberton to fill a vacant elementary instructional assistant position at Bloomfield Elementary, effective October 30, 2006. Superintendent Sichting recommended approval. Marvin Helms moved to approve the request. Sandy May seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
11. 2006-2007 ECA Recommendations Considered. Board members were provided with a list of ECA recommendations for the 2006-2007 school year. (See attached) It was suggested that each recommendation be voted on individually. Sandy May moved to approve the hiring of Terri Duke as Elementary Cheerleader Sponsor. Eric Moody seconded the motion. The motion was approved by a 6-0 vote. Sandy May moved to approve the hiring of Lisa Hasler as 5th Grade Girls Basketball Coach. Marvin Helms seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote. Doug Frye moved to approve the hiring of Leslie Gillespie as 8th Grade Girls Basketball Coach. Sandy May seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote. Marvin Helms move to approve the hiring of Cameron Gilmore as 7th Grade Girls Basketball Coach. Robert Kirk seconded the motion. Mr. Gilmore was hired by a 6-0 vote. Eric Moody moved to approve the recommendation to hire Jessica Lauderdale as Softball Coach. Sandy May seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote. Sandy May moved to approve the recommendation to hire Mark Evans as Assistant Softball Coach. This motion died for lack of a seconded. Eric Moody moved to approve the hiring of Kevin Gott as Junior Varsity Softball Coach. Sandy May seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
12. Choral and Instrumental Music Trip to Washington, D.C. Mrs. Jerrels and Mr. Rockey requested approval of a 5-night field trip for the choral and instrumental music groups to Washington D.C. to perform at the Cherry Blossom Festival. (See Attached) Mr. Parsley and Mrs. Vandeventer included their support of the trip. Mr. Sichting recommended approval. Doug Frye moved to approve the trip as requested. Sandy May seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
13. Overnight Field Trip for Bloomfield Sr. High School Student Council Approved. It was recommended that the Board approve an overnight field trip by members of the Bloomfield Sr. High School Student Council to Nashville, IN on November 2, 2006 and November 3, 2006. (See Attached) Eric Moody moved to approve the field trip. Robert Kirk seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
14. Update on Feasibility Steering Committee. Superintendent Sichting gave those present an update on the Feasibility Steering Committee. Members of the community steering committee for the feasibility planning process for the renovation of the mechanical and electrical systems of Bloomfield Elementary School and the Jr. High wing will meet on Thursday, November 2, 2006, at 7:00 p.m. The meeting will take place in classroom D-7 of the Jr. High wing. The classroom will be accessible by entering entrance 23 in the teacher’s parking lot. The estimated cost of the project is undetermined at this time, however the project will impact facilities for the next thirty years. The feasibility steering committee meetings are open to any member the public. The Bloomfield School District Board of School Trustees encourages all interested members of the public to attend to give feedback and input on this important project.
15. Board Hears Information on Budget Hearing. Superintendent Sichting presented the Board with information from the 2007 budget hearing. The Bloomfield School District budget hearing was held on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 at 9:00 a.m. During the meeting no taxpayers attended to raise objections to the Bloomfield School District budget for 2007. No taxpayers filed objections with the Greene County Auditor over the Capital Projects Plan for the 2007 budget cycle. The school corporation is expecting cuts to be made in levies and rates in the 2007 budget. Once, again, the Bloomfield School District’s goal is to operate in an efficient cost effective manner.
16. Board Policy First Readings Held. First readings were held on four (4) school board policies. #4401, Fringe Benefits for Support Staff, #1231 Nondiscrimination and Access to Equal Educational Opportunity, #4402 Family Medical Leave Act and #8432 Use of Automated External Defibrillators were presented to the Board for first reading. (See attached) These policies will be brought back to a later meeting for consideration.
17. Information on New Graduation Rate Calculation. Superintendent Sichting gave the Board information concerning new graduation rate calculation. The state of Indiana is changing the calculation of the graduation rate. The graduation rate calculation used to be calculated using a formula looking at the number of students that start an academic year at each grade level versus the number of students that finish the academic year at each grade level. Beginning with the 2005-2006 school year, the graduation rate will be calculated utilizing a cohort group of students that progress through grades 9-12. Students entering high school as ninth graders become the cohort group of students. Using the new calculation, early indication was the graduation rate statewide would fall to around 79% of students. Last week, the Department of Education released early preliminary graduation rates for school districts around Indiana. The preliminary graduation rate for Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School for the 2005-2006 school year was 94%. If early indications are accurate, Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School will be well above state average in terms of the graduation rate.
18. Board Receives Presentation from School At-Risk Counselor. Bloomfield School At-Risk Counselor, Susan Street, gave a very informative presentation on the vast aspects of her position with the school.
19. Adjournment. There being no further business Marvin Helms moved to adjourn. Robert Kirk seconded the motion. The meeting was then adjourned by a 6-0 vote.