MINUTES REGULAR MEETING OF SCHOOL BOARD
OF BLOOMFIELD SCHOOL DISTRICT
November 21, 2013
The Board of School Trustees of the Bloomfield School District, of Greene County, Indiana, met in regular session on November 21, 2013, in the jr/sr high school conference room in Bloomfield Junior/Senior High School, 501 West Spring Street, Bloomfield, Indiana. The following school board members were present: Bill Bond, Steve Dowden, Dwayne Hostetter, Sandy May, Matt Miller, and Eric Moody. John Combs was absent. President Dowden called the meeting to order at approximately 7:00 p.m. The following order of business was transacted with President Dowden presiding:
1. Recognitions. Mr. Dean recognized Mrs. Vandeventer for sponsoring the Veteran's Day program recently. He said the chili supper to kick off the basketball season went well, and shared several NJROTC Unit recent participations. Mr. Dean also told of several sports successes lately, announced it was picture day, and shared some news about the 1to1 computer committee. Superintendent Sichting also praised Mrs. Vandeventer for organizing a great Veteran's Day program. Mr. Sichting also recognized the 1 to 1 computer initiative committee and said he hoped to have a presentation for the board in early spring.
2. Approval of Minutes. The Board had been provided with minutes of a regular board meeting held on October 31, 2013, which had been prepared by corporation recording secretary Kelli Usrey. President Dowden asked for a motion to approve the proposed minutes of the regular board meeting held on October 31, 2013. Dwayne Hostetter moved to approve the minutes of the meeting beginning with the sentence: "The Board of School Trustees of the Bloomfield School District, of Greene County, Indiana, met in regular session on October 31, 2013... " and ending with the sentence: "The meeting was then adjourned by a 6-0 vote." Matt Miller seconded the motion, which passed by a 5-0-1 vote. Sandy May was not present at the meeting and therefore had to abstain from the vote.
3. Treasurer's Report. The Board had been provided with the Treasurer's Report, prepared by corporation treasurer Stacey Robinette. Bill Bond made a motion to approve the November 5, 2013 claims listing beginning with voucher number 872 to Bloomfield State Bank and ending with voucher number 956 to Valley Electric Supply and also the October 31, 2013 appropriation report beginning with Fund 0100 through Fund 6842. Matt Miller seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote. Dwayne Hostetter said that at a recent audit meeting with state board of account personnel he was informed that board members should be reviewing the claims listing, as they are responsible for what school dollars are being spent. Steve Dowden stated that Superintendent Sichting always provides the Board with a detailed explanation of each claim. Mr. Sichting also shared that the state board of accounts wants the Board to also begin getting a copy of each month's bank reconciliation to approve.
4. October Indiana Department of Education State Aid 544 Report. Bloomfield School District received the November SA 544 Tuition Support payment from the Indiana Department of Education on Friday, November 15, 2013. For Fiscal Year 2014, funding is determined by a count of Average Daily Membership in September and February. Additionally, the Fiscal Year Tuition Support payment will be impacted by the Special Education Average Daily Membership to be taken on approximately December 1, 2013. The November 15, 2013 SA Tuition Support payment decreased from four hundred sixty two thousand eight hundred ninety one dollars and forty-nine cents ($462,891.49) to four hundred thirty nine thousand five hundred seventeen dollars and fifty-four cents ($439,517.54). School districts had to provide an estimate of Average Daily Membership in June for funding purposes during the months of July through October. Bloomfield School District's estimate of nine hundred (900) students fell below the actual Average Daily Membership of eight hundred seventy seven and ninety-two hundreds (877.92) students. As of Friday, November 15, 2013, Bloomfield School District's Average Daily Membership was eight hundred seventy nine and ninety-five hundreds (879.95) students.
In 2010, Bloomfield School District was receiving six hundred seventeen thousand eight hundred eighty four dollars ($617,884) more in calendar year funding. The anticipated loss of five hundred forty two thousand four hundred two dollars ($542,402) brings the total loss of state funding to over one million thirty eight thousand seven hundred thirty eight dollars ($1,038,738) since 2010. Bloomfield School District has lost 14% of funding. The loss of funding is due to a drop in student enrollment along with the loss of the Small Schools Grant and Rural Schools Grant. In comparison, Bloomfield School District has lost 16% of the student enrollment.
5. Reduction in 2013 State Tuition Support Grant Payment. Bloomfield School District received notification from the Indiana Department of Education on November 4, 2013 in which notification was provided the Bloomfield School District monthly tuition support grant payment would decrease effective November 15, 2013. The decrease is a result of the Bloomfield School District Average Daily Membership being less than anticipated. In June, Superintendent Dan Sichting estimated the Average Daily Membership for 2013-2014 to be 900 students. The Bloomfield School District ADM in September, 2013 was 877.92 students. The reduction is due to two factors
1. Reduction in Average Daily Membership below the projection
2. Reduction in Technical and Vocational Grant from the 2012-2013 level
Mr. Sichting reminded the Board the funding level will be fluid due to some changes made in 2013 legislation. The current funding is based on Special Education funding levels from December, 2012. A new Special Education count will be taken on December 1, 2013. The funding level would be adjusted as a result of this count. It also should be noted the current Bloomfield School District Average Daily Membership as of Wednesday, November 13, 2013 was 879.95 students. Again, the Average Daily Membership is a fluid number as students enroll and withdraw from Bloomfield School District.
6. Resolution for Transfer of Appropriations. It was recommended the Bloomfield School District Board of School Trustees authorize appropriate district personnel to make transfers within minor categories and to transfer among major categories, appropriations necessary to allow for expenditures in the 2013 budget, when necessary. (See Attached) Mr. Sichting said this resolution would cover all funds, if necessary. He said it was necessary at the conclusion of a budget cycle for transfers among appropriations to be made to close out the books for a fiscal year. This resolution allows district personnel to make necessary transfers to close out appropriations within the 2013 budget. Dwayne Hostetter moved to approve the recommendation. Sandy May seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
7. Indiana Department of Homeland Security School Safety Grant. Bloomfield School District received notification from the Indiana Department of Homeland Security on Friday, November 1, 2013 of a grant award for the 2013 Secured School Safety Grant. The grant was written to purchase equipment in the form of additional cameras, server, software licenses, hardware, and shipping. The cameras will allow police officers to have video access to activities inside the building from outside the building. The cameras will also allow additional footage of illegal activities of students within the buildings resulting in a more safe and secure school building. (See Attached)
8. Title II Part A Grant Application. The Title II, Part A Grant for Bloomfield School District for Federal Fiscal Year 2013 was submitted on October 31, 2013. (See Attached) The preliminary planning allocation for the Title II, Part A Grant was $27,639 for Federal Fiscal Year 2013. It is unclear if the preliminary funding levels will be less due to federal spending cuts. The grant was submitted with the following eligible spending categories:
• Category 1-Recruitment, Retention, Incentives and Differentiated Pay Activities-$10,000
• Category 3-Primary School Class Size Reduction-$13,639
• Training on Teacher Evaluation Systems-$4,000
Mr. Sichting said at this point, no grant approval has been received from the Indiana Department of Education.
9. Non-Resident Student Applications Approved for the 2013-2014 School Year. It was recommended the Board approve two returning non-resident student applications at the elementary school for the 2013-2014 school year. (See Attached) Dwayne Hostetter moved to approve the recommendation. Matt Miller seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
10. Board Appoints Public Library Board Member. It was recommended the Board exercise the authority under IC 36-12-2-19 and appoint Kristie Bladen to the library board of the Bloomfield-Eastern Greene County Public Library. Mr. Sichting explained that Indiana statute provides for Bloomfield School District to be an appointing authority for the Bloomfield-Eastern Greene Public Library. Mrs. Kristie Bladen was appointed to the library board for a term beginning on December 31, 2009 and ending December 31, 2013. Mrs. Bladen is finishing her term. As a result, Miss Cassandra Thompson, Director of the Bloomfield-Eastern Greene Public Library had requested the appointment of Mrs. Bladen for another four year term with the Bloomfield-Eastern Greene Public Library. Bill Bond moved to approve the appointment of Mrs. Bladen. Sandy May seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
11. Board Approves Monetary Donation. It was recommended the Board approve the following monetary donation:
• Bloomfield Jr.-Sr. High School Athletic Department in the amount of $400 from Bloomfield Manufacturing.
Mr. Sichting said the Board had adopted policies for implementation for the school district. He said Policy #9510 requires all gifts, bequests, or donations be approved by the Bloomfield School District Board of School Trustees. Mr. Sichting said the funds would be deposited in the Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School's Athletic Department Extra-Curricular Account. (See Attached) Matt Miller moved to approve the donation. Eric Moody seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote. Mr. Sichting expressed the Board's gratitude to Bloomfield Manufacturing for their support of the Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School Athletic Department. (See Attached)
12. Board Approves Agreement as to Easement, Limited Waiver as to Surface Rights and Non-Conflict with Storage Rights. It was recommended the Bloomfield School District Board of School Trustees approve an agreement as to easement, limited waiver as to surface rights and non-conflict with storage rights with Citizens By-Products Coal Company, Inc. concerning the one hundred twenty (120) acres of land purchased in May effective November 1, 2013. (See Attached) Dwayne Hostetter made a motion to approve the agreement. Sandy May seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
13. Emergency School Closing Procedures for 2013-2014 School Year Announced. Board members
and members of the media were provided with Emergency School Closing Procedures for the 2013-2014 school year as prepared by recording secretary Kelli Usrey. (See Attached.)
14. Amendment #6 Approved to the Bloomfield School District Employee Health Insurance Plan. It was recommended the Board approve Amendment #6 to the Employee Health Insurance Plan. Bloomfield School District currently has a self-insured employee health plan. The health plan has a specific plan document that details the benefits of the plan. Amendment #6 provides for coverage of hearing aids, testing for hearing aids, hearing services and supplies not rendered in connection with medical or surgical treatment for injury and illness, or ear implants for hearing loss, except in the case of illness or injury. Charges for hearing loss due to aging will not be covered. Matt Miller moved to approve the amendment. Sandy May seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
15. Warranty Deed and Sales Disclosure Form. It was recommended the Bloomfield School District Board of School Trustees approve a Warranty Deed and Sales Disclosure Form to be executed with the Bloomfield School District Building Corporation for the sale of forty (40) acres of land for the purpose of obtaining financing for the construction of Outdoor Physical Education facilities at Bloomfield School District. (See Attached) Mr. Sichting explained that Bloomfield School District purchased one hundred twenty (120) acres of land in mid-May for the purpose of constructing outdoor Physical Education facilities. A public work session was held on June 27, 2013 concerning the project. A project hearing was held on August 29, 2013 concerning the project. The Bloomfield School District Board of School Trustees voted on September 26, 2013 to issue bonds to fund the project. The sale of forty (40) acres to the Bloomfield School District Building Corporation is part of the process of securing appropriate financing for the construction of the Outdoor Physical Education facilities. Eric Moody moved to approve the recommendation. Matt Miller seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
16. Board Approves Resolution for Appointment of Members to a Common Wage Committee. It is recommended the Bloomfield School District Board of School Trustees approve a Resolution to appoint Dwayne Hostetter and Eric Harrah to a Common Wage Committee for the purpose of constructing Outdoor Physical Education facilities at Bloomfield School District. (See Attached) Superintendent Sichting explained that Indiana statute 5-16-7 requires a Common Wage Committee be established to set a minimum construction wage for all construction projects in the state of Indiana. He said Indiana statute 5-16-7 mandates the governing body of the taxing unit appoint an industry representative and a taxpayer to the Common Wage Committee. The resolution appoints Eric Harrah as the industry representative to the Common Wage Committee. The resolution appoints Dwayne Hostetter as the taxpayer representative to the Common Wage Committee. Bill Bond made a motion to approve the recommendation. Eric Moody seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
17. Board Hears Anti-Bullying Awareness and Programming Presentation. Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School Assistant Principal Stella Royal gave board members a presentation on anti-bullying awareness and programming. Mrs. Royal provided information on the actions taken at Bloomfield School District to be compliant with the new bullying legislation passed by the Indiana General Assembly in the spring legislative session. There was a question/answer time which allowed Board members the opportunity to ask questions concerning how the administration is handling bullying. The board thanked Mrs. Royal for her presentation.
18. Bloomfield School District Design-Build Technical Review Committee Report. Superintendent Sichting told board members the Criteria Development Review had met for the first time during the past week and discussed the Request For Qualifications (RFQ) that would be sent out to interested people. Mr. Sichting explained the timeline and deadline for submitting the RFQ's and said after that time the top three would be chosen to present their design for the projects. Mr. Sichting reminded board member that the committee consisted of Eric Moody, John Combs, Bill Hudson, Dan Rawlins and himself.
19. Adjournment. There being no further business Eric Moody moved to adjourn. Dwayne Hostetter seconded the motion. The meeting was then adjourned by a 6-0 vote.
BLOOMFIELD SCHOOL DISTRICT – BOARD OF SCHOOL TRUSTEES
Attest: Secretary Superintendent of Schools