MINUTES OF REGULAR MEETING OF SCHOOL BOARD
OF BLOOMFIELD SCHOOL DISTRICT
October 29, 2009
The Board of School Trustees of the Bloomfield School District, of Greene County, Indiana, met in regular session on October 29, 2009, in the jr/sr high school conference room in Bloomfield Junior/Senior High School, 501 West Spring Street, Bloomfield, Indiana. The following school board members were present: John Combs, Steve Dowden, Doug Frye, Keith Hanauer, Marvin Helms, Dwayne Hostetter, and Sandy May. President Helms called the meeting to order at approximately 7:00 p.m. The following order of business was transacted with the President presiding:
1. Recognitions. Mary Jane Vandeventer commended Miss Hill and Student Council members for a successful Red Ribbon Week. She announced that students had participated in a balloon launch at the baseball diamonds. Ms. Vandeventer also announced the Veterans Day program would be November 11th. She recognized Mandy McIntosh and Stephanie Hill for being presenters at the recent Title I State Meeting and also Kathy Neill and Stephanie Arthur for attending the state math convention recently. Mary Jane shared that almost 300 conferences were held on parent teacher night recently. Ms. Vandeventer also announced that attendance at the elementary had stabilized after students returned from Fall Break. David Dean announced that Evan Rush had received his Eagle Scout Award, recognized the girl’s cross country and volleyball teams for their successful seasons, and commended athletic director Ron McBride for hosting the Volleyball Section at Bloomfield. He applauded Mr. von Almen and Mrs. Hudson, sponsors for the Senior Action Team, for a recent community service action of cleaning local roadways and Rebecca Yingling for leading a successful Red Ribbon week for students against drugs. Mr. Dean said parent teacher conferences went well in the jr/sr high school and recognized the jr/sr high school Math Department for their participation in the ICTM State Conference. Athletic Director Ron McBride thanked those who helped with hosting of the Volleyball Sectional and said he hopes to host most sports sectionals in the future. Mr. Sichting said he had attended the balloon launch sponsored by the elementary student council and noted the kid’s excitement at that event. He commended Ms. Vandeventer and sponsor Miss Hill for organizing the program and the many elementary parents who blew up balloons. Mr. Sichting also commended the Bloomfield Teachers Association for their participation in recent negotiations and stated that sessions went well and an agreement was reached quickly.
2. Approval of Minutes. The Board had been provided with minutes of the executive session and regular school board meetings both held on September 24, 2009 and the executive session held on October 8, 2009. Sandy May moved to approve the minutes beginning with the sentence: “The Board of School Trustees of the Bloomfield School District, of Greene County, Indiana, met in executive session on September 24, 2009, from 6:00 p.m. until 7:00 p.m. in the Junior/Senior High School conference room in Bloomfield Junior/Senior High School, 501 West Spring Street, Bloomfield, Indiana” and ending with the sentence: “The meeting was then adjourned by a 5-0 vote”. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion. The motion passed by a 5-0-2 vote. John Combs and Steve Dowden abstained because they were not in attendance at the October meeting.
3. Treasurer’s Report. The Board had been provided with the Treasurer’s Report, prepared by corporation treasurer Sue Pritts. Doug Frye made a motion to approve the September 30, 2009 appropriations report beginning with: Fund 0100 through Fund 7951 and also the October 2009 claims report beginning with voucher number 845 to Bloomfield State Bank and ending with voucher number 959 to Witham Toxicology Lab. Dwayne Hostetter seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
4. DOESA 545 Report for October 2009. Superintendent Sichting said the October Tuition Support Payment from the state of Indiana was in the amount of $535,923.94 as was expected. He also said a recent comment by Governor Daniels suggests schools in Indiana might be facing a cut in state tuition support during 2010 due to shortages in state revenue collections. (See Attached)
5. Information on Reconciliation of ISTA Insurance Trust Funding. Superintendent Sichting shared information concerning problems the school is encountering with trying to reconciling with ISTA Insurance Trust Fund. Bloomfield School District contracted with ISTA Insurance Trust for administration of a self-funded health insurance plan from May 1, 2008 through June 1, 2009. On May 18, 2009, ISTA Insurance Trust demanded payment for claims in the amount of $33,899.44. After receiving a renewal quote from ISTA Financial Services in March, Bloomfield School District continued to question receipt of approximately $15,237.13 of reinsurance reimbursement for a large claim in the amount of $65,000. The Bloomfield School District Employee Health Insurance had a reinsurance that went into effect at $50,000. In other words, Bloomfield School District had reinsurance for large claims over $50,000. Reimbursements in the amount of $15,000 were owed to Bloomfield School District for one large claim from May 1, 2008, through June 1, 2009. Correspondence was sent to ISTA Financial Services requesting information concerning this reimbursement approximately three times between March 1, 2009 and June 1, 2009. No information was ever provided by ISTA Financial Services concerning this reimbursement. On July 30, 2009, ISTA Financial Services changed the funding request to $30,807.64 and didn’t provide adequate documentation in terms of reports to Bloomfield School District. Additionally, in May, 2008, Bloomfield School District was asked to provide an initial funding deposit of $75,961.68 to ISTA Financial Services. (See Attached)
6. Bloomfield School District Website to be Redesigned. It was recommended the Board approve the proposal from Five Star Technology Solutions LLC for $2,000 for redesigning the Bloomfield School District website. (See Attached) Keith Hanauer moved to approve the recommendation. Steve Dowden seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
7. Collectively Bargained Agreement Between Board and Teacher’s Ratified for 2009-2010. It was recommended the Board ratify the Collectively Bargained agreement between the Board of School Trustees of the Bloomfield School District and the Bloomfield Teacher’s Association for 2009-2010. (See Attached) Dwayne Hostetter moved to ratify the proposed contract. Sandy May seconded the motion. Mr. Sichting stated he had shared with the bargaining teams that while he hoped it didn’t come to pass, if the state cuts funding to the school some things might have to be cut, which could include teachers. President Hems commended the BTA for negotiating in a good and timely fashion. The contract was ratified by a 7-0 vote.
8. Support Staff Wage Schedule Approved. It was recommended that the Board approve the Support Staff Wage Schedule, effective July 1, 2009. (See Attached) Superintendent Sichting told the Board that the Support Staff Wage Schedule reflects a 2% wage increase in all categories. Keith Hanauer moved to approve the recommendation. Steve Dowden seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
9. Administrative Contract Extensions Approved. It was recommended the Board approve one year contract extensions for Stella Turner Royal and Mary Jane Vandeventer. Mr. Sichting said the contracts would run from August 1, 2010 through July 31, 2011 and would be for 200 days per year. Sandy May made a motion to approve the recommendation. John Combs seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
10. 2009-2010 ECA Recommendations Approved. Board members were provided with ECA recommendations for the 2009-2010 school year from Mr. McBride. (See Attached) Superintendent Sichting included his support of the recommendations. The recommendations were as follows:
- Melissa Cochrane-Assistant Girl’s Basketball Coach (9-12)
- Karen Wells-Girl’s Junior Varsity Basketball Coach (9-12)
- Ken Greves-Volunteer Boy’s Youth Program
- Jarrod Holtsclaw-Volunteer Boy’s Basketball Assistant
- Dan Luse-Volunteer Boy’s Youth Program
- Joe Medina-Volunteer Boy’s Youth Program
Dwayne Hostetter made a motion to approve the recommendations. John Combs seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
11. Approve Choral Groups Field Trip (Overnight and Out-of-State). It was recommended the Board approve an out-of-state and overnight field trip for Joyful Noise, Cardinal Song, and Center Stage from Thursday, March 18, 2010 through Thursday, March 24, 2010 to Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida for the Magic Music Days Festival. (See Attached) Dwayne Hostetter moved to approve the recommendation. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
12. Overnight and Out-of-State NJRTOC Field Trip Approved. It was recommended the Board approve an overnight and out-of-state field trip for the NJROTC unit to East Aurora, Illinois to participate in a physical fitness meet from November 13, 2009 through November 14, 2009. (See Attached) Dwayne Hostetter moved to approve the field trip. Sandy May seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
13. Board Approves TSLA Overnight Field Trip. It was recommended the Board approve an overnight field trip for members of the Junior High Teen Student Leadership Academy (TSLA) from October 27, 2009 through October 28, 2009 in Bloomington, Indiana. Keith Hanauer made a motion to approve the field trip. Sandy May seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
14. Board Votes to Make Pepsi-Cola Products the Exclusive Soft Drink at BSD. It was recommended the Board approve an exclusive school beverage agreement with Pepsi-Cola General Bottlers of Indiana, Inc. for a period of October 26, 2009 through October 25, 2016. (See Attached) Keith Hanauer moved to approve the recommendation. Sandy May seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-1 vote. Doug Frye cast the nay vote.
15. Board Hears Update on Circuit Breaker Credits for Indiana County Taxing Districts. Superintendent Sichting provided board members with estimated loss of revenue for Greene County taxing districts due to the Property Tax Circuit Breaker legislation. (See Attached)
16. Elementary Spring 2009 ISTEP+ Test Results. Elementary Principal Mary Jane Vandeventer shared ISTEP+ test scores in the elementary and what measures are being done to improve those scores.
17. Green Energy Opportunities for Bloomfield School District. Mr. Tony Kuykendall of Performance Services presented information to the Board on four financial models involving the district’s participation in renewable energy resources. (See Attached)
18. Adjournment. There being no further business Dwayne Hostetter moved to adjourn. Doug Frye seconded the motion. The meeting was then adjourned by a 7-0 vote.