MINUTES OF REGULAR MEETING OF SCHOOL BOARD
OF BLOOMFIELD SCHOOL DISTRICT
March 31, 2009
The Board of School Trustees of the Bloomfield School District, of Greene County, Indiana, met in regular session on March 31, 2009, in the jr/sr high school conference room in Bloomfield Junior/Senior High School, 501 West Spring Street, Bloomfield, Indiana. The following school board members were present: John Combs, Steve Dowden, Doug Frye, Keith Hanauer, Marvin Helms, Dwayne Hostetter and Sandy May. Sandy May left the meeting after the vote was taken on agenda item #4. President Helms called the meeting to order at approximately 7:00 p.m. The following order of business was transacted with the President presiding:
- 1. Recognitions. Elementary principal Mary Jane Vandeventer announced there were over 140 parent teacher conferences held recently in the elementary, congratulated the elementary math team for a recent successful competition, and praised Mrs. Goodman for conducting a Title I, Dad’s Night Out. Ms. Vandeventer invited board members to attend Parent Night on April 8 and 9 put together by the Greene County Prosecutor’s Office and school counselors. Jr/Sr High principal David Dean congratulated the varsity basketball team for being the 2009 sectional champs and praised the pep band and cheerleaders for their enthusiasm at the games. Mr. Dean shared that Bloomfield senior Chris Babcock had conducted a 1 on 1 interview with NASCAR racer Tony Stewart’s father for his senior English class project. Miss Abernathy recognized the boy’s basketball team for a great season, and shared that the winter sports banquet went well. Mrs. Royal added that for the first time in several years a fan bus for students in grades 5-12 was taken to the tournament. Marvin Helms said the pep sessions for the tournament games were great. Mr. Sichting recognized the Bloomfield NJROTC unit for a recent competition ranking in the top 10% nationally.
2. Approval of Minutes. The Board had been provided with minutes of the regular school board meeting and a special board meeting both held on January 29, 2009, which had been prepared by corporation recording secretary Kelli Vandeventer. Keith Hanauer moved to approve the minutes of the special and regular board meetings both held on January 29, 2009 beginning with the sentence: “The Board of School Trustees of the Bloomfield School District, of Greene County, Indiana, met in special session on January 29, 2009, at 7:00 p.m. in the jr/sr high school conference room in Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School, 501 West Spring Street, Bloomfield, Indiana” and ending with the sentence: “The meeting was then adjourned by a 6-0 vote”. Doug Frye seconded the motion. The motion passed by a 6-0-1 vote. Sandy May abstained from voting because she was not present at either meeting. The Board had been provided with minutes of the executive session and regular school board meeting both held on February 26, 2009, which had been prepared by corporation recording secretary Kelli Vandeventer. Sandy May moved to approve the minutes of the executive session and regular board meetings both held on February 26, 2009 beginning with the sentence: “The Board of School Trustees of the Bloomfield School District, of Greene County, Indiana, met in executive session on February 26, 2009, at 6:00 p.m. in the jr/sr high school conference room in Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School, 501 West Spring Street, Bloomfield, Indiana” and ending with the sentence: “The meeting was then adjourned by a 4-0 vote”. Dwayne Hostetter seconded the motion. The motion passed by a 4-0-3 vote. John Combs, Doug Frye, and Steve Dowden abstained from voting because they were not present at either meeting. Sandy May left the meeting at this time.
3. Treasurer’s Report. The Board had been provided with the Treasurer’s Report, prepared by corporation treasurer Sue Pritts. Steve Dowden moved to approve the February 28, 2009 Appropriation Report, beginning with Fund 0100 Program 11050.00 and object 110.00 for Full Day Kindergarten Services through Fund 0600 Program 60100.00 and Object 910 for Special Education Preschool Fund Transfers and also the March 3, 2009 claims docket beginning with voucher number 172 to American Family Life Assurance Company and ending with voucher number 274 to Steve Wikle. Dwayne Hostetter seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
4. DOE 54 Report for March 2009. Superintendent Sichting provided the board with the DOE 54 Report for tuition support received March 13, 2009. (See Attached) He explained that the District had basically received the same amount in March that was received in February due to updated class enrollments from the December 1st ADM count for Special Education.
5. Update on 2009 Certified Budget Appropriations. Superintendent Sichting stated that he had received the certified assessed valuation for Greene County. He stated that in comparison the 2008 Assessed Valuation was $198,427,120 and the 2009 Assessed Valuation was 161,432,869. Mr. Sichting explained to those present that as the assessed valuation decreases the tax rate increases. To this he added the result of a decline in assessed valuation is taxpayers would see an increase in the tax rate.
6. Board Adopts 2009 Summer School Program. It was recommended the Board approve a 2009 Summer School Program as described in the 2009 Summer School Estimated Instructional Costs Report and List of Courses. (See Attached) Keith Hanauer moved to approve the recommendation. Steve Dowden seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
7. NJROTC Instructor Annual Certification and Contract Approved. It was recommended that the Board authorize the administration to sign the JROTC INSTRUCTOR ANNUAL CERTIFICATION OF PAY AND DATA FORM and Contract for the 2009-2010 school year. (See Attached) Mr. Sichting’s recommendation said that Bloomfield’s NJROTC program had been an asset to the Bloomfield School District and brings pride to the students, school and community. He said it is well received by our students and student participation remains high. This group has been recognized at all levels for their achievement in physical training, academics, and military drill teams. Doug Frye moved to approve the recommendation. John Combs seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
8. Long Time Guidance Counselor Retires. It was recommended the Board approve the retirement resignation of Mrs. Margaret Osmon. Dwayne Hostetter moved to accept the recommendation. Doug Frye seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote. Superintendent Sichting stated the retirement of Mrs. Osmon was a sad day for Bloomfield School District. He credited Mrs. Osmon with Bloomfield having a great graduation rate and successful students. Mrs. Royal said that Mrs. Osmon had been a great support to students, staff, administration, and parents. The Board wished Mrs. Osmon their best. Mr. Sichting said as sad as school administration and staff are to see Mrs. Osmon retire they are excited to wish she and her husband an enjoyable retirement together.
9. ISTEP+ Academy Substitute Pay Approved. On March 10, 2009 Mrs. Erica Pemberton substituted as an ISTEP+ Academy teacher. It was recommended the Board approve payment for Mrs. Pemberton at her hourly rate as a licensed teacher. Steve Dowden moved to approve the recommendation. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
10. Board Approves Contract Extension for Athletic Director. It was recommended the board extend the contract of Monica Abernathy, Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School Athletic Director through the 2009-2010 school year. Mr. Sichting stated that Miss Abernathy’s salary would be $55,620 for the 2009-2010 school year. Keith Hanauer made a motion to approve the recommendation. John Combs seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
11. 2008-2009 ECA Recommendations Approved. Board members were provided with ECA recommendations for the 2008-2009 school year from Mr. Dean and /or Miss Abernathy. (See Attached) Superintendent Sichting included his support of the recommendations. Recommended was Sharon Sparks as Girl’s Track Coach (Grades 7-8), Bill Spelts to be Volunteer Softball Coach, Kaleb Mumma to be Junior Varsity Baseball Coach, and Eric Lyons to serve as the Assistant Varsity Baseball Coach. Dwayne Hostetter made a motion to approve the recommendations. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
12. Healthy Choices for Girls Overnight Field Trip Approved. It was recommended the Board approve an overnight field trip for Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School female students to Healthy Choice for Girls Conference in Bloomington, Indiana on Thursday, April 16, 2009. (See Attached) Mr. Dean indicated Mrs. Chris Crane, Mrs. Stephanie Arthur, and Mrs. Kristi Vandeventer would be chaperoning the students. Keith Hanauer moved to approve the recommendation. John Combs seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
13. Property Declared Surplus. Superintendent Sichting told the Board that a small white storage barn located near the bus barn west of the elementary school along with another small white storage shed located outside the fence near the baseball field have been used for storage. These buildings have termite and wind damage and were too small to be useful to the school. He recommended declaring the buildings surplus property to allow for disposal. Steve Dowden made a motion to approve the recommendation. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote. Mr. Sichting said sealed bids, due April 10, 2009, would be accepted from any taxpayer interested in either building.
14. Board Approves Real Estate Purchases. It was recommended the Board approve all future real estate purchases in the L.H. Jones Addition to the town of Bloomfield if the purchase price doesn’t exceed the average of two appraisals of the real estate. The recommendation is also contingent upon available funds to purchase the property. Dwayne Hostetter moved to approve the recommendation. Steve Dowden seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
15. 2009 Post Prom will be BSD Sponsored Event. It was recommended the Board approve the 2009 Post Prom activity, to be held on April 18, 2009, as a Bloomfield School District sponsored event. (See Attached) Dwayne Hostetter moved to approve the recommendation. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
16. Board Policy Revisions Second Readings and Adoptions. Second reading was held on
fourteen (14) school board policies. #2240 Controversial Issues, #2263 Homeless Students-Enrollment Rights and Services, #2411.1 Crisis and Suicide Intervention, #2430 District Sponsored Clubs and Activities, #2431 Interscholastic Athletics, #2433 Scheduling of Extra-Curricular Activities, #2434 ECA Inclement Weather, #2460.2 Least Restrictive Environment, #2520 Selection of Instructional Materials and Equipment, #2521 Selection of Media Materials/Evaluation and Review, #2522, Internet Use, #2560 Disposal of Textbooks, #3110 Creating a Position, #3120 Employment of Professional Staff, #3120.1 Employment of Individuals with Aids/Arc, #3120.4 Substitute Teacher, #3120.5 Employment of Personnel in Summer School and Adult Education Programs, #3120.6 Selecting Student Teachers and Administrative Interns, #3120.8 Employment of Personnel for Extra-Curricular Activities, #3121 Criminal History Information, #3122 Nondiscrimination, #3122.1 Drug Free Workforce, #3123.2 Nepotism, #3130 Assignment and Transfer, #3131 Reduction in Staff, #3140 Termination and Resignation, #3161 Unrequested Leaves of Absence, #3213 Student Supervision and Welfare, #3220 Staff Evaluation, #3220.1 Discipline/Code of Conduct, #3230.1 Staff Participation in Non-School Activities, #3242.1 Staff Development,# 3250 Board/Staff Communications, #3260 Gifts and Favors to Employees, #3362 Sexual Harassment, #3422 Annuity Policy, #3430 Leaves of Absence, #4162 Alcohol and Controlled Substance Testing Policy for Commercial Drivers’ License (CDL) Employees were presented to the Board for second reading and adoption. (See Attached) Keith Hanauer moved to approve the revisions as presented. Steve Dowden seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
17. 2009-2010 School Calendar Adoption Information. Superintendent Sichting said he was expecting to approve the 2009-2010 School Calendar at this board meeting, but changes announced by Dr. Bennett prevented an adoption of a calendar at this point. Mr. Sichting said the proposed calendar would be brought back to the Board at a later date.
18. 2008-2009 Make-up Dates. Superintendent Sichting announced that a letter would be sent to all parents by the end of the week stating that a waiver had been approved for two days. He said seniors last day would be graduation day and underclassmen’s last day would be on May 26th. (See Attached)
19. SMarT School Board Training. Superintendent Sichting recognized Board members who attended the SMarT School Board Training on March 17, 2009 at Jasper. The training was on the future importance of science, math, and technology in the educational preparation of students.
20. Bloomfield Elementary Parent Involvement Dad’s Playbook. Mr. Sichting announced that on March 19, 2009, the Bloomfield Elementary staff held their annual parent involvement piece for Title I funding called Dad’s Playbook: Coaching Kids to Read. (See Attached)
21. Adjournment. There being no further business Doug Frye moved to adjourn. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion. The meeting was then adjourned by a 6-0 vote.