MINUTES OF REGULAR MEETING OF SCHOOL BOARD
OF BLOOMFIELD SCHOOL DISTRICT
November 19, 2009
The Board of School Trustees of the Bloomfield School District, of Greene County, Indiana, met in regular session on November 19, 2009, in the jr/sr high school conference room in Bloomfield Junior/Senior High School, 501 West Spring Street, Bloomfield, Indiana. The following school board members were present: John Combs, Steve Dowden, Doug Frye, Keith Hanauer, Marvin Helms, and Dwayne Hostetter. Sandy May was absent. President Helms called the meeting to order at approximately 7:00 p.m. President Helms opened the meeting and left after agenda item 5 (A). Vice President Steve Dowden arrived at the meeting and assumed the President’s seat for agenda item #6 (A). The following order of business was transacted with both the President and Vice President presiding at different times as listed above:
1. Recognitions. Mary Jane Vandeventer recognized the elementary student council for their recent participation in the local food drive and for holding a game night for Toys for Tots. She thanked the local PTO for their activities for American Education Week. Ms. Vandeventer invited board members to attend the elementary Christmas program on December 15th and also the music program featuring Joyful Noise, Cardinal Song, Center Stage and the band to be held December 13th. David Dean recognized Mary Jane Vandeventer for planning a great Veterans Day program. He also recognized the Strut and Fret group for a successful play Annie Get Your Gun and the NJROTC Drill team and music group Center Stage for their recent participation in various local Veterans Day programs. Mr. Dean shared that the Senior Action Team had participated in the local food drive and that two jr/sr high school teachers, Candi Lang and John Bucher, attended a Project Lead the Way workshop recently on new underwater robotics, and stated that Deb Johnson’s art classes were making Christmas ornaments to decorate the school with. Superintendent Sichting congratulated Ms. Vandeventer for organizing an outstanding Veterans Day program. He also recognized members of the boy’s tennis team for being named the Herald Times All Area 1st Team, and applauded Miss Young on an outstanding play, Annie Get Your Gun.
2. Approval of Minutes. The Board had been provided with minutes of the regular school board meeting held on October 29, 2009 and the executive session held on November 12, 2009. Dwayne Hostetter moved to approve the minutes beginning with the sentence: “The Board of School Trustees of the Bloomfield School District, of Greene County, Indiana, met in regular session on October 29, 2009, in the junior/senior high school conference room in Bloomfield Junior/Senior High School, 501 West Spring Street, Bloomfield, Indiana” and ending with the sentence: “The meeting was then adjourned by a 7-0 vote”. Doug Frye seconded the motion. The motion passed by a 5-0 vote.
3. Treasurer’s Report. The Board had been provided with the Treasurer’s Report, prepared by corporation treasurer Sue Pritts. Keith Hanauer made a motion to approve the October 31, 2009 appropriations report beginning with: Fund 0100 through Fund 7954 and also the November 2009 claims report beginning with voucher number 971 to Aims First Aid Supplies and ending with voucher number 1032 to 1st Security Insurance Agency. John Combs seconded the motion, which passed by a 5-0 vote.
4. Bloomfield Elementary Teachers Give Teaching and Learning Presentation Using Smart Boards. Elementary teachers Jenny Medina, Linda Mattox, Kathy Neill, and Janis Shaw along with Ms. Vandeventer demonstrated different features and advantages of using the newly installed Smart Boards.
5. Resolution for Transfer of Appropriations. It was recommended the Board authorize appropriate district personnel to make transfers within minor categories and to transfer among major categories, appropriations necessary to allow for expenditures in the 2009 budget, when necessary. (See Attached) Mr. Sichting stated this resolution would cover all funds, if necessary. Keith Hanauer moved to approve the appropriation. Doug Frye seconded the motion, which passed by a 5-0 vote.
6. Resolution for Short-Term Transfer of Funds. Superintendent Sichting recommended the Board approve a resolution authorizing a short-term transfer of funds from the Rainy Day Fund to the Debt Service and Retirement/Severance Bond Debt Service Funds. (See Attached) Dwayne Hostetter made a motion to approve the resolution as presented. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion, which passed by a 5-0 vote.
7. Board Hears Information on 2009 Summer School Reimbursement. Superintendent Sichting wrote the following explanation concerning the district’s 2009 Summer School Reimbursement. (See Attached) On November 9, 2009, the Indiana Department of Education reimbursed Bloomfield School District for 2009 Summer School classes. During the 2009 summer school session, Bloomfield Jr.-Sr. High School offered Health, Supervised Agriculture Experience, and Driver’s Education during the 2009 summer school period. Driver’s Education is not eligible for reimbursement from the state of Indiana. Also, Bloomfield Elementary and Bloomfield Jr.-Sr. High School offered programs in marching band. This program was not eligible for reimbursement from the Indiana Department of Education. The 2009 summer school offerings were reimbursed by the Indiana Department of Education at a rate of 73.8971223% of eligible expenses. The 2009 reimbursement was slightly higher than the reimbursement of 66.464170% received for 2008 summer school expenses. Bloomfield School District submitted expenses for reimbursement of $18,696.60. School districts were eligible for 105% reimbursement of eligible costs. As a result, the Indiana Department of Education reimbursed Bloomfield School District in the amount of $14,507.06 of the eligible expenses of 18,696.60.
8. DOESA 545 Report for November 2009. Superintendent Sichting said the District had received the November Tuition Support Payment from the state of Indiana. He also said a recent conference call by State Superintendent Tony Bennett suggested schools in Indiana might be facing a cut in state tuition support during 2010 due to shortages in state revenue collections. (See Attached)
9. Superintendent Sichting Gives Board Information on Special Education, Part B Federal Stimulus Payment and Special Education Preschool Federal Stimulus Payment. Superintendent Sichting told board members that Bloomfield School District received the initial installment of federal stimulus monies for Special Education, Part B and Special Education, Preschool on October 29, 2009. (See Attached) He included in their board packet the budget submitted and approved for the Special Education, Part B Federal Stimulus Payment. He explained that the Special Education, Part B Federal Stimulus Grant and the Special Education Federal Preschool Grant are only awarded for two years and the monies have to be expended by September, 2011.
10. Board Approves Purchase of Vehicle. Superintendent Sichting asked board members to approve the purchase of a 2009 Ford F-250 4 x 4 truck from Ruxer Ford-Lincoln-Mercury for up to a purchase price of $25,500. He explained that the District currently uses a 1990 Dodge truck for snow removal and it has developed some mechanical issues resulting in the need to replace it. Mr. Sichting provided the Board with quotes received from Ruxer Ford-Lincoln-Mercury, Linton Motors, and Community Chrysler. (See Attached) Keith Hanauer made a motion to approve the quote from Ruxer Ford. John Combs seconded the motion, which passed by a 5-0 vote.
11. Long Time Bloomfield Elementary Teacher Retires. It was recommended the Board approve the retirement resignation of Miss Janet Shirley effective at the end of the 2009-2010 school year on or about May 27, 2010. (See Attached) Dwayne Hostetter moved to approve the resignation. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion. Superintendent Sichting shared that Miss Shirley had a very successful teaching career and would conclude her thirty-sixth year of teaching at the end of the 2009-2010 school year. Elementary principal Mary Jane Vandeventer also praised Miss Shirley’s dedication to the students at Bloomfield Elementary and wished her the very best.
12. Bloomfield School District Speech Therapist Retires. Speech Therapist for Bloomfield School District Mrs. Joyce Barnes submitted her letter of retirement/resignation effective on or about December 18, 2009. Superintendent Sichting recommended approval. (See Attached) Dwayne Hostetter made a motion to approve the resignation. Doug Frye seconded the motion. Mr. Sichting shared that Mrs. Barnes had seen many speech issues with Bloomfield students during her 24 year tenure and wished her well. Ms. Vandeventer stated that an “extra” that Mrs. Barnes brought to Bloomfield Schools was that she possesses a wide variety of special education licenses which helped the district when certain licensing was difficult to find. Ms. Vandeventer also wished Mrs. Barnes lots of fun traveling in her retirement. Mrs. Barnes’ resignation was approved by a 5-0 vote.
13. 2009-2010 ECA Recommendations Approved. Board members were provided with ECA recommendations for the 2009-2010 school year from Mr. McBride and approved by Mr. Hitchcock. (See Attached) Superintendent Sichting voiced his appreciation of those who volunteer their time to Bloomfield students and included his support of the recommendations. The recommendations were as follows:
- Lana Pinnick-Girl’s Biddy Basketball (Volunteer)
- Trent Frady-Girl’s Biddy Basketball (Volunteer)
- Jeff Riggins-Girl’s Biddy Basketball (Volunteer)
- Matt Miller-Girl’s Biddy Basketball (Volunteer)
Dwayne Hostetter made a motion to approve the recommendations. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion, which passed by a 5-0 vote.
14. Board Policy Revisions First Readings Held. First reading was held on three (3) school board policies. #7540 Computer Technology and Networks, #7540.01 Technology Privacy, #7540.02 Staff Network and Internet Acceptable use and Safety were presented to the Board for first reading. (See Attached) These policies will be brought back to the Board for second reading and adoption.
15. Indiana State Fire Marshall Inspection Results. Superintendent Sichting provided board members with the results of a follow up visit from the Indiana State Fire Marshall completed on November 4, 2009. (See Attached) He said the follow-up inspection was successful with Bloomfield School District being in compliance in all areas.
16. Bloomfield School District Holds H1N1 Vaccination Clinic. Bloomfield School District hosted a H1N1 Vaccination Clinic for students and staff on Friday, November 6, 2009. H1N1 flu shots or H1N1 flu mist was provided to approximately 505 students and staff at Bloomfield School District. A huge thank-you goes to Ms. Vandeventer and Mrs. Robinette for assisting in the organization of the vaccination clinic. Additionally, the staff and volunteers from the Greene County Health Department should be commended for their time and efforts for conducting this clinic. A letter was sent to the Greene County Daily World on Monday, November 9, 2009 thanking the individuals who participated in making the clinic a success.
17. Jr/Sr High School Spring 2009 ISTEP+ Test and End of Course Assessments. Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School Principal David Dean shared ISTEP+ test scores and end of Course Assessments in the jr/sr high school and what measures are being done to improve those results.
18. Adjournment. There being no further business Doug Frye moved to adjourn. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion. The meeting was then adjourned by a 5-0 vote.