MINUTES OF REGULAR MEETING OF SCHOOL BOARD
OF BLOOMFIELD SCHOOL DISTRICT
April 29, 2010
The Board of School Trustees of the Bloomfield School District, of Greene County, Indiana, met in regular session on April 29, 2010, in the jr/sr high school conference room in Bloomfield Junior/Senior High School, 501 West Spring Street, Bloomfield, Indiana. The following school board members were present: John Combs, Steve Dowden, Doug Frye, Keith Hanauer, Marvin Helms, Dwayne Hostetter, and Sandy May. President Helms called the meeting to order at approximately 7:10 p.m. The following order of business was transacted with the President presiding:
1. Recognitions. Mary Jane Vandeventer invited board members to attend the first ever Elementary Science Fair to be held April 30th along with the elementary talent show following the Fair. Ms. Vandeventer also recognized 6th grade students who have been very active in the SeaPerch robotics project. She said the project is focused on math and students built underwater robots. Mary Jane shared that Stephanie Arthur and Kathy Neill attended the National Math Conference in San Diego and bought back good information to share with teachers at Bloomfield Elementary. Mr. Dean shared that both the Grand March and Prom were held at Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School and went well. He praised his secretary, Angela Brown, who recently attended and was honored at a Harmony conference and was asked to be a presenter on registration at that conference. Mr. Dean said that Bloomfield students from grades 9-12 traveled to White River Valley High School to attend a convocation by a former Teacher of the Year, Mr. Guy Doud. Mr. Doud was presented that honor by past President Ronald Reagan. He said the message was very well received by our students. Mr. Dean announced the choral and band program would be on Sunday presented by Center Stage, Cardinal Song, the jazz band and Mrs. Wayman. He said Spring sports were in full swing. Superintendent Sichting proudly announced that Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School had a Lilly Scholarship winner in Derek Corn. He also congratulated a Bloomfield senior, Donavon Hodge, for winning an auto mechanics scholarship at Vincennes University which included $500 and a scholarship. Mr. Sichting explained that due to DOT lay offs instead of holding Indiana State Police bus inspection during the summer it is being held in the spring on two different days. He said the first round of buses were inspected on April 28th and he thanked Harold Holtsclaw and Peggy Cox for the work they do getting the corporation buses ready for inspection. Board member Doug Frye recognized Samantha Deaton and Brandi Blakely who traveled to Washington D.C. with Hoosier Honor Flight to help with the needs of two local veterans.
2. Approval of Minutes. The Board had been provided with minutes of the executive session school board meeting and regular school board meeting both held on March 30, 2010, which had been prepared by corporation recording secretary Kelli Usrey. Dwayne Hostetter moved to approve the minutes of the executive session board meeting and regular school board meeting both held on March 30, 2010 beginning with the sentence: “The Board of School Trustees of the Bloomfield School District, of Greene County, Indiana met in executive session on March 30, 2010…” and ending with the sentence: “The meeting was then adjourned by a 7-0 vote”. Doug Frye seconded the motion. The motion passed by a 7-0 vote.
3. Treasurer’s Report. The Board had been provided with the Treasurer’s Report, prepared by corporation treasurer Sue Pritts. Steve Dowden made a motion to approve the March 31, 2010 appropriations report beginning with: Fund 0100 through Fund 7954 and also the April 2010 claims report beginning with voucher number 272 to American Family Life Assurance Company and ending with voucher number 364 to Steve Wikle. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote. Superintendent Sichting explained that April is a month that quarterly payments are made to Public Employees Retirement Fund, Special Education and Vocational Education. He said that is the reason the report shows more dollars spent this month than last.
4. DOESA 545 Report for April 2010. The April DOE SA 540 Basic Grant Report illustrates a reduction of forty dollars and thirty-four cents ($40.34) from the March amount. The forty dollar and thirty-four cent ($40.34) reduction is due to Medicaid reimbursement received by Bloomfield School District. The forty dollar and thirty-four cent ($40.34) reduction will be reimbursed in the General Fund from the Medicaid holding account. The report also illustrates the two hundred ninety seven thousand eight hundred thirty six dollar ($297,836) reduction from the State of Indiana for tuition support for 2010. Additionally, Bloomfield School District received a reduction in Special Education funding of twenty five thousand two hundred eighty six dollars ($25,286) for 2010. The total loss of tuition support for the 2010 budget was three hundred twenty three thousand one hundred twenty two dollars ($323,122).
5. Board Receives Information on Restoration Grant Recalculation. Superintendent Sichting shared that he had received a letter from the director of the Indiana Department of Education’s School Finance describing how the cut in tuition support was determined. (See Attached) He explained that the 2011 Basic Grant would use the funding amount after the cut to determine all funding in the future.
6. Board Authorizes Superintendent to Execute Release of Contract. It was recommended the Board authorize Superintendent Dan Sichting to execute a “Release of Contract” with Terrell Lawn Care owned by Riley C. Terrell. Superintendent Sichting reminded the Board they had approved a recommendation by himself on March 10, 2010 to execute a demolition contract with Terrell Lawn Care which served as the execution of a formal contract for the demolition project. He said their approval of this recommendation would allow Bloomfield School District to execute a “release of contract” with Riley C. Terrell for the demolition project. Keith Hanauer made a motion to approve the recommendation. Sandy May seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
7. Quotes for Demolition are Rejected. It was recommended the Board reject all quotes submitted for the demolition for the demolition of three houses and a trailer. Superintendent Sichting shared the reason for his recommendation to reject all quotes was due to the passage of House Enrolled Act No. 1367 titled Education Matters by the Indiana General Assembly during the 2010 short session. (See Attached) Dwayne Hostetter moved to approve the recommendation. Doug Frye seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-1 vote. Marvin Helms voting against the motion.
8. Board Hears of Voluntary Transfer in Elementary School. Superintendent Sichting told board members that Ms. Mary Jane Vandeventer has granted the transfer request of Mrs. Kristy Burger from Full Day Kindergarten to a Third Grade teaching position. (See Attached) He said the vacant Third Grade position was created by the retirement of Miss Janet Shirley. Mr. Sichting shared that Mrs. Burger is licensed for general elementary K-6 and meets the requirements to be highly qualified essential due to Bloomfield Elementary’s receipt of Title I Grant funding.
9. Bloomfield Elementary School hires Part-Time Speech Pathologist. It was recommended the Board hire Mrs. Teresa Powell as a part-time Speech Pathologist at Bloomfield Elementary for seventy-two days during the 2010-2011 school year. (See Attached) Dwayne Hostetter made a motion to approve the recommendation. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
10. Paraprofessional Resigns. Superintendent Sichting explained that Mrs. Brandy Frady, who is fully licensed in Indiana as a math teacher, was hired as a Title I paraprofessional at Bloomfield Elementary School for the 2009-2010 school year. He said since Mrs. Frady has been hired as a long-term substitute teacher at Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School to fill a maternity leave she is resigning her position in the elementary. (See Attached) He recommended approval. Keith Hanauer moved to approve the recommendation. John Combs seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
11. Board Approves Overnight and Out-of-State NJROTC Field Trip. It was recommended the Board approve an overnight and out-of-state field trip for the Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School NJROTC unit to Hamilton, Ohio from April 30, 2010 through May 1, 2010. (See Attached) Sandy May made a motion to approve the field trip as requested. Doug Frye seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
12. Boy’s Overnight Varsity Basketball Team Trip Approved. Superintendent Sichting asked the Board to approve an overnight field trip for the Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School Boy’s Varsity Basketball team to Fort Wayne, Indiana from July 5, 2010 through July 8, 2010. (See Attached) Keith Hanauer moved to approve the request. John Combs seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
13. Overnight and Out-of-State Boy’s Varsity Basketball Team Trip to Knoxville, Tennessee Approved. It was recommended the Board approve an overnight and out-of-state field trip for Bloomfield Varsity Boy’s Basketball team to Knoxville, Tennessee from June 10, 2010 through June 13, 2010. (See Attached) Dwayne Hostetter made a motion to approve the recommendation. Steve Dowden seconded the motion. The trip to Knoxville was approved by a 7-0 vote.
14. Junior High Boy’s Basketball Team Approved for Field Trip to Terre Haute. Superintendent Sichting requested permission for the junior high (grades 6 and 7) boy’s basketball teams to attend camp in Terre Haute, Indiana from June 17, 2010 through June 19, 2010. Steve Dowden moved to allow the team to attend the camp per Mr. Sichting’s request. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
15. FFA Students to Attend State Convention. It was recommended the Board approve an overnight field trip for the Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School FFA chapter to West Lafayette for the state convention from June 14, 2010 through June 16, 2010. Keith Hanauer made a motion to approve the trip. Doug Frye seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
16. Board Approves Overnight Junior High Cheer Camp. A junior high cheerleading camp is scheduled from June 15, 2010 through June 19, 2010 with campers staying overnight in the balcony of the Glover Gymnasium. (See Attached) Superintendent Sichting said Mrs. Laura Kay Rose would be the chaperone and recommended approval. Steve Dowden made a motion to approve the request. Sandy May seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
17. Jr/Sr High School Post Prom Activity Approved by Board. It was recommended the Board approve the 2010 Post Prom activity, held on April 17, 2010 at French Lick, Indiana, as a Bloomfield School District sponsored event. Keith Hanauer moved to approve the recommendation. Dwayne Hostetter seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote. Superintendent explained that Post Prom activities are normally organized and funds are raised by parents of Bloomfield Junior Class students. Mr. Sichting said it is understood this approval doesn’t mean the Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School administration will need to supervise the event. He continued that all future post proms are eligible to be considered a district activity as long as employees of Bloomfield School District are utilized to chaperone the event but none will be compensated. The employees will serve as Post Prom volunteers. The volunteers could be certified or non-certified employees. The post prom activity utilized three contracted bus drivers and buses for transportation to French Lick. Mr. Sichting also stated that as long as an activity is deemed a school sponsored activity it allows contracted bus drivers to transport students without the expense of adding special riders to their current insurance policy. The post prom activity was held at the indoor water park.
18. Board Approves Applying for Qualified School Construction Bond. It was recommended the Board approve an application to the Indiana Department of Education for a Qualified School Construction Bond. Dwayne Hostetter moved to approve the recommendation. Doug Frye seconded the motion. Superintendent Sichting explained that Qualified School Construction Bonds are funds made available to school corporations through the ARRA Stimulus for renovations to existing school facilities that are interest free. He said Bloomfield School District is anticipating doing a second phase of renovation for Bloomfield Elementary and the “D” classroom wing at Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School and in obtaining a Qualified School Construction Bond, Bloomfield School District could move ahead with planned renovations keeping the debt service levy at the present level and saving local tax payers thousands of dollars in interest.
19. Board Reviews Administrative Regulations. Administrative Regulations #6320.1 Purchasing and #8500.1 Student Lunch Charges were presented to the Board. (See Attached) Superintendent Sichting explained that administrative regulations are only required to be presented to the Board on one occasion then they will be added to the Bloomfield Board Policy Manual. Some changes were suggested and Keith Hanauer made a motion to approve the regulations with the corrections noted. Steve Dowden seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
20. 2010-2011 Bloomfield School District Calendar Approved. Superintendent Sichting presented board members with a proposed calendar for the 2010-2011 school year and recommended approval. (See Attached) He explained that the Bloomfield Teacher’s Association had been included in discussions and in the final draft of the calendar as presented. Keith Hanauer moved to approve the calendar as presented. John Combs seconded the motion. Steve Dowden voiced his appreciation to the teacher’s association in working together with the administration in making the time frame for open house more convenient for parents and guardians to be able to attend. Mr. Sichting expressed his appreciation to the BTA president Mr. Ben Helms for the association’s cooperativeness, as well.
21. Short Term Security Officers Hired. It was recommended the Board hire short-term security officers for nine days for eight hours a day at a rate of $11.97 per hour. Dwayne Hostetter made a motion to approve the recommendation. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-1 vote. Doug Frye voted against the recommendation. Board member Steve Dowden questioned whether hiring police was a necessity or had become just something to repeat each year. He asked if having the police on duty was really needed. Mr. Sichting stated that the cost of hiring police at this time was minimal and could be less than the cost of one night of vandalism. Mr. Dean stated he believed having the police on duty was definitely a deterrent for students thinking about getting into mischief.
22. Bloomfield Elementary School Math Textbook Adoption Approved. Elementary School principal Mary Jane Vandeventer presented the Board with her recommendation for the Elementary School Math Textbook Adoption for 2010-2016. (See Attached) Mr. Sichting included his approval. Dwayne Hostetter moved to approve the elementary school textbook adoption as recommended. Sandy May seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote. The superintendent thanked all involved with the adoption process.
23. Board Approves Student Handbook Changes for 2010-2011. Superintendent Sichting recommended the Board approve student handbook changes for the 2010-2011school year as proposed by Mrs. Stella Royal. (See Attached) Dwayne Hostetter moved to approve the changes as presented. Sandy May seconded the motion. After some discussion the motion passed by a 7-0 vote.
24. Elementary Teachers Complete Curriculum for Math. Ms. Mary Jane Vandeventer presented board members with the curriculum for math for Bloomfield Elementary students in grades K-6 written by a committee that included Bloomfield elementary teachers, parents, students and the MAPP lead coordinator. (See Attached) Superintendent Sichting said the elementary school will be using the curriculum with the adopted textbooks to provide students with high quality instruction and content and has been aligned to the Indiana Academic Standards for math.
25. Board Policy Revisions First Reading Held. First reading was held on two (2) school board policies. #2460.3 Use of Isolated Time Outs and Restraints and #5111 Eligibility of Resident/Non-Resident Students were presented to the Board for first reading. (See Attached) Mr. Sichting shared some history and changes in this policy for the Board. These policies will be brought back to the Board for second reading and adoption.
26. Board Approves Policy Revision. Changes in the school’s policy on Substance Abuse for Employees with Commercial Drivers License was presented to the Board. (See Attached) Superintendent Sichting said the changes would bring Bloomfield School District’s policy in compliance with the Department of Transportation. Dwayne Hostetter moved to approve the changes. Steve Dowden seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
27. Greene County Math Grant Presentation. Lauren Rapacki, Greene County Professional Development Consortium Math Coach, presented statistics on student performance during the two year cycle associated with the math grant. Greene County received a math grant from the Indiana Department of Education in 2008. The grant proceeds were used to hire a math coach and for lead teacher stipends to receive summer training for instructional strategies to assist students in preparing for high level thinking and reasoning skills associated with math. Phase I of the implementation involved working with teachers in grades K-5 at the elementary level. As part of the grant requirements, an evaluation was completed to determine the validity of the data in gauging student progress due to the grant. Recently, the Greene County Professional Development Consortium was awarded another math grant. Phase II of the math grant will provide assistant to teachers in grade 4-8. The Phase II math grant is a three year cycle.
28. Dean Presents Information on AdvancED Visitation. Jr/Sr High School principal David Dean presented information on the recent AdvancED visitation to Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School in February.
29. Comments and Information from the Public. FFA sponsor Ben Helms invited board members to the annual FFA awards banquet to be held on May 6, 2010.
30. Adjournment. There being no further business Doug Frye moved to adjourn. John Combs seconded the motion. The meeting was then adjourned by a 7-0 vote.