MINUTES OF REGULAR MEETING OF SCHOOL BOARD
OF BLOOMFIELD SCHOOL DISTRICT
March 30, 2010
The Board of School Trustees of the Bloomfield School District, of Greene County, Indiana, met in regular session on March 30, 2010, in the jr/sr high school conference room in Bloomfield Junior/Senior High School, 501 West Spring Street, Bloomfield, Indiana. The following school board members were present: John Combs, Steve Dowden, Doug Frye, Keith Hanauer, Marvin Helms, Dwayne Hostetter, and Sandy May. President Helms called the meeting to order at approximately 7:15 p.m. The following order of business was transacted with the President presiding:
1. Recognitions. Mary Jane Vandeventer recognized several 6th grade students for receiving invitations from REMC to attend a week long state camp in northern Indiana to learn about electricity. Ms. Vandeventer also praised the 6th grade Math Bowl team who recently placed 2nd in their class at a competition held in Bedford. Ms. Vandeventer also announced that Kindergarten roundup would be held on Friday, April 2nd. Mr. Dean shared that ninth grader Jared Bond had advanced to the state finals in the Geography Bee competition, the jr/sr high school academic team under direction of Mrs. Stephanie Arthur did well at a recent competition held in Terre Haute, and said the jr/sr high school speech team had ended their competition year very successfully. Mr. Dean patted the boy’s basketball team on the back for a good run in sectional play and announced that several jr/sr high school students participated in Ag Day recently at the Greene County 4-H fairgrounds.
2. Approval of Minutes. The Board had been provided with minutes of the executive session school board meeting and regular school board meeting both held on February 25, 2010, and also a special session school board meeting held on March 10, 2010, which had been prepared by corporation recording secretary Kelli Usrey. Board member Doug Frye stated he wanted to make a clarification on what his intent was when he made the motion to take the bids under advisement, referring to the bids being considered for the demolition of several properties purchased by the district located on Davis and W. South Street, during the February 25, 2010 regular board meeting. Mr. Frye said what he was implying was to reject all bids and to take them under advisement. At that time, Mr. Frye made a motion to approve the minutes of the February 25, 2010 board meeting after his motion concerning the bids on the demolition project be changed to read that he moved to reject all bids and take them under advisement. Sandy May seconded the motion. During discussion Steve Dowden stated that not at any time during the previous meeting had anyone mentioned rejecting the bids. Dwayne Hostetter said he couldn’t see that it would make any difference changing the motion at this point. Superintendent Sichting informed the board that he and Kelli Usrey had gone back and listened to the discussion tape from that board meeting and the motion made on February 25th by Mr. Frye and said the written wording in the minutes provided was correct. Steve Dowden wanted to make clear that at the February 25th meeting he was voting on a motion to take the bids under advisement not to reject all bids. The motion to change the wording of the motion Mr. Frye made during the February 25, 2010 minutes to read to reject the bids and take them under advisement failed by a 6-1 vote. Mr. Frye cast the only vote in favor of the change. At this time, Keith Hanauer moved to approve the minutes of the executive session board meeting and regular school board meeting both held on February 25, 2010 and a special school board meeting held on March 10, 2010 beginning with the sentence: “The Board of School Trustees of the Bloomfield School District met in executive session on February 25, 2010…” and ending with the sentence: “The meeting was then adjourned by a 7-0 vote”. Sandy May seconded the motion. The motion passed by a 6-1 vote. Doug Frye cast the nay vote.
3. Treasurer’s Report. The Board had been provided with the Treasurer’s Report, prepared by corporation treasurer Sue Pritts. Keith Hanauer made a motion to approve the February 28, 2010 appropriations report beginning with: Fund 0100 through Fund 7954 and also the March 2010 claims report beginning with voucher number 173 to Bloomfield State Bank and ending with voucher number 271 to Witham Toxicology. Steve Dowden seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
4. DOESA 545 Report for March 2010. Superintendent Sichting reminded board members that he had told them the February DOESA 545 was conditional due to the December 1 special education funding not being finalized. He said the District did receive an increase in funding. Unfortunately, the funding is still down approximately $25,000 from the previous year.
5. Board Signs Contract with Comcast. It was recommended the Board approve a contract with Comcast to provide additional bandwidth for Bloomfield School District for twelve months at $114.90 per month. (See Attached) Dwayne Hostetter made a motion to approve the recommendation. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion. Superintendent Sichting explained that the jr/sr high school has approximately 72 kids that are taking two-way audio and visual classes from Vincennes University. He said this additional bandwidth would keep the audio and visual from freezing up while students are working. Mr. Sichting said this approach is the most economical solution for the district to correct the problem. The contract was approve by a 7-0 vote.
6. Indiana State Board of Accounts Audit Report. Superintendent Sichting provided board members with a copy of the recent Indiana State Board of Accounts Audit Report which covered the period of July 1, 2007 through June 30, 2009. He said the result of the audit was a clean audit. Mr. Sichting praised the work of the district treasurer, Sue Pritts, and also of the ECA treasures, Stacey Helms and Janice Barker, for having no exceptions in the audit.
7. Non-Permanent Teachers’ Contracts Not Renewed. It was recommended the Board non-renew the teaching contracts, effective at the end of the current school year, of nonpermanent teachers Sheila Corn and Joanna Fish. (See Attached) Keith Hanauer moved to approve the recommendation. Doug Frye seconded the motion. Superintendent Sichting said he hoped to be sending these teachers a letter at the end of May saying they are hired back. He said presenting them with this nonrenewal notice by April 15th is required in the bargaining agreement in case the funding does not come through to keep them teaching at Bloomfield.
8. Teacher Hired for Maternity Leave. It was recommended the Board hire Mrs. Brandy Frady as a temporary teacher at Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School beginning on or about April 19, 2010 and ending at the conclusion of the 2009-2010 school year. (See Attached) Dwayne Hostetter made a motion to approve the recommendation. Steve Dowden seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
9. 2009-2010 ECA Recommendations Approved. Board members were provided with ECA recommendations for the 2009-2010 school year from Mr. McBride and Mr. Dean. (See Attached) Superintendent Sichting included his support of the recommendations. The recommendations were as follows:
- Brittany Myers-Volunteer Girl’s Softball Coach
- Billy Spelts-Volunteer Girl’s Softball Coach
- Karen Wells-Boy’s Assistant Track Coach (Grades 7-12)
Steve Dowden made a motion to approve the recommendations. Sandy May seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
10. Board Approves Overnight NJROTC Field Trip. It was recommended the Board approve an overnight field trip for the Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School NJROTC unit to Anderson on April 23, 2010 through April 24, 2010. (See Attached) Dwayne Hostetter made a motion to approve the field trip as requested. Sandy May seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
11. Board Tables 2010-2011 School Calendar. It was recommended the Board adopt a proposed school calendar for the 2010-2011 school year. (See Attached) Keith Hanauer moved to adopt the calendar as presented. Sandy May seconded the motion. After much discussion no vote was taken on the motion. John Combs questioned the time frame for open house, which was from 4:00 p.m. until 5:30 p.m. on Monday, August 16, 2010. He felt that most parents could not make it to school during that time period. Steve Dowden liked the change from just an open house to a “Meet Your Teacher” time, but agreed that it was a bad choice of time to get parents to attend. Sandy May voiced that she was not in favor of using Saturdays as make-up days. After more discussion, John Combs made a motion to table the recommendation. Dwayne Hostetter seconded the motion. This item was tabled by a 7-0 vote.
12. Administrative Guideline, 1st Draft. Superintendent Sichting provided board members with a first draft of Administrative Guideline #6320C1 – Bidding. Steve Dowden said he thought it should be changed from “bidding” to “purchasing” and should reflect the Indiana Code Citations concerning purchasing. Discussion was held and this guideline will be brought back to the board in its revised state to include suggestions from the Board.
13. Health Insurance Specific Plan Document Changes Approved. It was recommended the Board approve language changes in the Bloomfield School District Employee Health Insurance Specific Plan Document. (See Attached) Dwayne Hostetter made a motion to approve the changes. Steve Dowden seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
14. Board Hears Results from Bloomfield Elementary North Central Association Evaluation Team Visit. Elementary principal Mary Jane Vandeventer presented a power point to show board members results of the Bloomfield Elementary school evaluation visit from North Central Association.
15. Adjournment. There being no further business Doug Frye moved to adjourn. Sandy May seconded the motion. The meeting was then adjourned by a 7-0 vote.