MINUTES OF REGULAR MEETING OF SCHOOL BOARD
OF BLOOMFIELD SCHOOL DISTRICT
September 24, 2009
The Board of School Trustees of the Bloomfield School District, of Greene County, Indiana, met in regular session on September 24, 2009, in the jr/sr high school conference room in Bloomfield Junior/Senior High School, 501 West Spring Street, Bloomfield, Indiana. The following school board members were present: John Combs, Steve Dowden, Doug Frye, Keith Hanauer, Marvin Helms, Dwayne Hostetter, and Sandy May. President Helms called the meeting to order at approximately 7:00 p.m. The following order of business was transacted with the President presiding:
1. Recognitions. Mary Jane Vandeventer commended staff and students for recent ISTEP results. She said she would be bringing more information to the board at the regular October board meeting. Ms. Vandeventer also announced that a recent Bloomfield graduate, Sawyer Sparks, would be featured on ABC’s Shark Tank on Tuesday, September 29th. David Dean recognized the Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School leadership team who have been working diligently to prepare for the accreditation visit coming soon. Mr. Dean also recognized several Bloomfield sports teams for their successes. Mr. Sichting echoed Ms. Vandeventer’s comments praising the Bloomfield elementary staff and students for the recent Spring ISTEP scores. Mr. Sichting also recognized Bloomfield’s 5th grade for ranking in the top 20% in the state of Indiana in ISTEP scores this Spring.
2. Approval of Minutes. The Board had been provided with minutes of the regular school board meeting held on August 27, 2009. Keith Hanauer moved to approve the minutes of the regular board meeting held on August 27, 2009 beginning with the sentence: “The Board of School Trustees of the Bloomfield School District, of Greene County, Indiana, met in regular session on August 27, 2009, in the jr/sr high school conference room in Bloomfield Junior/Senior High School, 501 West Spring Street, Bloomfield, Indiana” and ending with the sentence: “The meeting was then adjourned by a 6-0 vote”.. Doug Frye seconded the motion. The motion passed by a 6-0-1 vote. Sandy May abstained because she was not in attendance at the July meetings.
3. Treasurer’s Report. The Board had been provided with the Treasurer’s Report, prepared by corporation treasurer Sue Pritts. Dwayne Hostetter made a motion to approve the August 31, 2009 appropriations report beginning with: Fund 0100 through Fund 7950 and also the September 2009 claims report beginning with voucher number 745 to Bloomfield State Bank and ending with voucher number 844 to 1st Security Insurance Agency. Steve Dowden seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
4. Public Hearing on the 2010 Budget, Capital Projects Plan, and School Bus Replacement Plan. It was recommended the Board conduct a public hearing on the 2010 Budget. Superintendent Sichting stated that on August 7, 2009 and August 14, 2009 the Budget was published in the Greene County Daily World. He then asked if there were any public comments on the Budget as it was published. There were no public comments made concerning the 2010 Budget.
5. Board Adopts Expenditure Goals for 2010 Budget. Superintendent Sichting explained that the General Assembly passed legislation establishing that school corporations establish expenditure goals unique to their school corporation as mandated by I.C. 21-10-3-4. Mr. Sichting recommended approval. (See Attached) Keith Hanauer moved to approve the recommendation. John Combs seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
6. Board Approves Resolution to Shift a Portion of Contracted Bus Services to the Bus Replacement Plan. It was recommended the Board approve the resolution to shift a portion of the cost of contracted bus services to the Bus Replacement Plan for the 2010 budget. (See Attached) Doug Frye made a motion to approve the recommendation. Steve Dowden seconded the motion. Mr. Sichting explained that school districts in Indiana were given the flexibility to begin raising a portion of contracted transportation costs from the Bus Replacement Fund with the 2007 budget. He said the ability to pay transportation costs directly from the Bus Replacement fund has eliminated a drain on the Bloomfield School District Transportation Fund. The resolution was passed by a 7-0 vote.
7. DOESA 545 Report for September 2009. Superintendent Sichting said that as was announced at the Indiana Department of Education’s 2010 Budget Workshop at Warren Central High School on August 12, 2009, the September SA 545 Report would be split into partial payments with $457,265.59 coming in the form of state tuition to be deposited in the General Fund and $78,658.36 being paid in the form of Federal Stimulus funds and deposited in the Fiscal Stabilization Fund. (See Attached)
8. Board Approves Asbestos Inspections of Corporation Owned Properties. It was recommended the Board approve a contract for $150.00 per structure for an Asbestos inspection to be carried out prior to the demolition of structures on Bloomfield School District properties. (See Attached) Dwayne Hostetter moved to approve the recommendation. Steve Dowden seconded the motion. Superintendent Sichting explained the District had purchased five structures near Bloomfield Elementary School, which will be demolished. He said the Indiana Department of Environmental Management requires the containment of Asbestos with proper precautions taken to limit its air borne spread. He said failure to comply with the regulations could result in a significant fine for Bloomfield School District. Mr. Sichting explained that if Asbestos is discovered, the district will be notified and would receive an estimate for the removal of it. If none is found, Astesco, Inc. will issue a manifest to Bloomfield School District, which limits future liability and also would be provided to contractors bidding on the demolition of the structures. The motion was approved by a 7-0 vote.
9. Membership is Indiana Small and Rural Schools Association Approved. It was recommended the Board authorize Superintendent Dan Sichting to enroll in a School District/Educational Membership for the Bloomfield School District in the Indiana Small and Rural Schools Association from July 1, 2009 through June 30, 2010. (See Attached) Sandy May moved to approve the recommendation. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
10. Maternity Leave Approved for Bloomfield Elementary School Teacher. Mrs. Joanna Fish, 6th grade teacher at Bloomfield Elementary School, submitted a letter requesting a maternity leave from on or about November 23, 2009 through on or about March 19, 2010. (See Attached) The superintendent recommended approval. Steve Dowden made a motion to approve the maternity leave as requested. Sandy May seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
11. Board Approves Hiring of Long Term Substitute Teacher. Elementary principal Ms. Mary Jane Vandeventer requested the Board employ Mrs. Jamie Norman as a long term substitute teacher at Bloomfield Elementary School to fill the maternity leave of Mrs. Joanna Fish from on or about November 23, 2009 through on or about March 19, 2010. (See Attached) Superintendent Sichting recommended approval. Sandy May moved to employ Mrs. Norman per the recommendation. Dwayne Hostetter seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
12. Resignation of ParaProfessional Accepted. It was recommended the Board accept the resignation of Mrs. Tena Edwards as an instructional assistant at Bloomfield Elementary School effective September 30, 2009. (See Attached) Keith Hanauer made a motion to accept the resignation of Mrs. Tena Edwards. Sandy May seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote. Both Mr. Sichting and Ms. Vandeventer said Mrs. Edwards had done a great job and wished her well.
13. 2009-2010 ECA Recommendations Approved. Board members were provided with ECA recommendations for the 2009-2010 school year from Mr. Dean, Mr. McBride, and Ms. Vandeventer. (See Attached) Superintendent Sichting included his support of the recommendations. The recommendations were as follows:
- Tami Allen-Girl’s 7th Grade Basketball
- Jarrod Arthur-Girl’s 5th Grade Basketball
- Stephanie Arthur-Girl’s Assistant Cross Country (7-12) Retroactive to August 18, 2009
- Todd Baker-Boy’s Junior Varsity Basketball
- Mark Bartlow-Christian Service Club (Co-Sponsor)
- Lori Burch-Christian Service Club (Co-Sponsor)
- Angela Brown-Junior High Student Council
- Melissa Cochrane-Volunteer Assistant Junior High Volleyball
- Julie Evans-National Honor Society
- Joanna Fish-Other School Sponsored Clubs Approved by the Administration (SeaPerch)
- Ruth Ann Flynn-Volunteer Girl’s 7th Grade Basketball
- Cameron Gilmore-Boy’s 5th Grade Basketball
- Lori Graves-Volunteer 7th/8th Grade Cheerleading Coach
- Lisa Hasler-Girl’s 8th Grade Basketball Coach
- Nathan Helms-Boy’s Assistant Basketball Coach (9-12)
- Deb Johnson-Junior Class Sponsor
- Candi Lang-High School Science Club
- Candi Lang-Junior Class Sponsor
- Bill McIntosh-Girl’s 6th Grade Basketball Coach
- Laura McIntosh-Volunteer Girl’s 6th Grade Basketball Coach
- Jennifer Uland-7th/8th Grade Cheerleading Coach
- Kristi Vandeventer- Other School Sponsored Clubs Approved by the Administration (Science Bowl)
- Rebecca Yingling-S.A.D.D. (Students Against Destructive Decisions)
Keith Hanauer made a motion to approve the recommendations. John Combs seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0-1 vote. Marvin Helms abstained from voting because his nephew was being hired as a coach.
14. School Improvement Committee Appointment Heard. It was announced that Mrs. Kayla Hale had been appointed to fill the vacancy on the School Improvement Committee at Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School by BTA President Ben Helms. (See Attached)
15. Second Grade Field Trip to Indianapolis Zoo Approved. Ms. Mary Jane Vandeventer requested the Board’s approval an overnight field trip for Bloomfield Elementary second graders to the Indianapolis Zoo on Wednesday, May 12, 2010, and Thursday, May 13, 2010. Steve Dowden made a motion to approve the field trip. Sandy May seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
16. Overnight and Out-of-State NJRTOC Field Trip Approved. It was recommended the Board approve an overnight and out-of-state field trip for the NJROTC unit to Wright Patterson Air Force Base in Dayton, Ohio from October 21, 2009 through October 25, 2009. (See Attached) Sandy May moved to approve the field trip. Dwayne Hostetter seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
17. Class Enrollment Numbers Not Meeting Policy #2705 Approved. Superintendent Sichting brought a request for approval of class size lists of class offerings for the 2009-2010 school year. (See Attached) Mr. Sichting explained that the school has a policy that establishes class sizes for grades K-6 and for Math, Science, Social Studies, and English at the secondary level. He continued that in March of 2002 the Board added a requirement that classes in the above areas outside the class size range required board approval. Keith Hanauer moved to approve the class offerings lists as presented. Sandy May seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
18. Use of School Facilities for Apple Festival Approved. It was recommended the Board approve the use of district facilities for the Apple Festival Committee for the Bloomfield Apple Festival on October 1, 2009, October 2, 2009, October 3, 2009, and October 4, 2009. Sandy May moved to approve the recommendation. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
19. Board Approves Contract for Marketing Services with Slam Dunk Sports Marketing. The superintendent explained that Slam Dunk Sports Marketing is a marketing company providing equipment for schools and universities free of charge or at reduced cost. He recommended the Board approve the contract for marketing services with Slam Dunk Sports Marketing for a period of ten years from September 25, 2009 through September 25, 2019. (See Attached) Keith Hanauer moved to approve the recommendation. Sandy May seconded the motion. Mr. Sichting said Bloomfield School District would be provided 16’ of 18 oz. protective wall padding and 16’ of stage padding, two 8’ scoring tables, and one 2’ x 8’ LED Message Center. He continued that also included in the contract Slam Dunk Sports Marketing would secure sponsors for two to four sponsor signs on the scoring tables, below the scoreboards, or on the east end wall of the gym that would be approved by the Bloomfield School District Athletic Director or other approved agent of Bloomfield School District. He said Slam Dunk would split all net revenue received at a rate of 50% on any sponsorship fees over $20,000.00. Mr. Sichting said the
contract would make Slam Dunk Sports Marketing the exclusive marketing company for performing sponsorship projects in the gym. After some discussion, the board approved the contract by a 5-2 vote. Doug Frye and Dwayne Hostetter cast the nay votes.
20. Notification of Noncompliance FFY 2008 (School Year 2008-2009). Superintendent Sichting informed the Board that he had received notification of noncompliance for school year 2008-2009 from the Indiana Department of Education concerning Special Education issues. (See Attached) He explained that the Greene Sullivan Special Education Cooperative is responsible for responding to the department of education concerning these noncompliance issues.
21. Fire Marshall Visits Bloomfield School District. Superintendent Sichting told board members the results of an inspection carried out by the Indiana Fire and Building Safety Division of Homeland Security on September 1, 2009. (See Attached) He explained that Mr. Toon is in the process of addressing the issues of noncompliance and hopes to be ready for the follow-up visit on October 1, 2009.
22. School Lunch Nutritional Analysis and Corrective Action. The superintendent provided the Board with copies of a letter of noncompliance received from the Indiana Department of Education concerning a recent nutrient analysis completed in August at the Bloomfield School District. (See Attached) Mr. Sichting also included a letter to the Indiana Department of Education from Food Service Director Jana McIntosh responding to the noncompliance issues. Lastly, the Board was given a copy of the letter from the department of education showing compliance in all areas.
23. Decision Received on Qualified School Construction Bond Application. Mr. Sichting told the Board that he had received notification that the District would not be receiving an allocation award letter in 2009 for the Qualified School Construction Bond application he had submitted to the Indiana Department of Education. (See Attached) He said there was only one district in Greene County receiving the bond. Mr. Sichting said he would be able to submit an application for 2010.
24. 2009-2010 ADM Actual Number. Superintendent Sichting announced Average Daily Membership
(ADM) for the Bloomfield School District to be 1035 ½ students.
25. Adjournment. There being no further business Doug Frye moved to adjourn. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion. The meeting was then adjourned by a 7-0 vote.