MINUTES OF REGULAR MEETING OF SCHOOL BOARD
OF BLOOMFIELD SCHOOL DISTRICT
June 24, 2010
The Board of School Trustees of the Bloomfield School District, of Greene County, Indiana, met in regular session on June 24, 2010, in the jr/sr high school conference room in Bloomfield Junior/Senior High School, 501 West Spring Street, Bloomfield, Indiana. The following school board members were present: John Combs, Steve Dowden, Doug Frye, Keith Hanauer, Marvin Helms, Dwayne Hostetter, and Sandy May. President Helms called the meeting to order at approximately 7:00 p.m. The following order of business was transacted with the President presiding:
1. Recognitions. Mary Jane Vandeventer presented board members with a 2010-2011 Bloomfield Elementary School calendar magnet. Ms. Vandeventer provided a projected enrollment for the elementary as of 6/24/2010. She praised 6th grade teacher Joanna Fish for using part of her summer vacation to attend a professional development conference to learn more about SeaPerch projects for the up coming school year. David Dean shared that graduation on June 5, 2010 went well with 71 seniors graduating. He mentioned that recently several students attended FFA State Camp and both NJROTC Boot Camp and Leadership Academy. Mr. Dean recognized twenty (20) Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School students who were named All Conference Athletes, Boys and Girls Basketball teams recent competitions, and students who recently attended an IHSAA Leadership conference at Pike Central High School. Superintendent Sichting presented plaques to outgoing board members, Doug Frye, Keith Hanauer, and Marvin Helms. Mr. Sichting thanked each one for their leadership roles while serving on the Board. Mr. Sichting added that each of these men had served as school board members for twelve (12) years.
2. Approval of Minutes. The Board had been provided with minutes of the regular school board meeting and executive session school board meeting both held on May 28, 2010, and a special school board meeting held on June 3, 2010 which had been prepared by corporation recording secretary Kelli Usrey. Sandy May moved to approve the minutes of the regular school board meeting and executive session school board meeting both held on May 28, 2010 beginning with the sentence: “The Board of School Trustees of the Bloomfield School District, of Greene County, Indiana met in regular session on May 28, 2010…” and ending with the sentence: “The (June 3rd) meeting was then adjourned by a 7-0 vote”. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion. The motion passed by a 5-0-2 vote. Mr. Dowden and Mr. Frye abstained from voting because they were not in attendance at the May meetings.
3. Treasurer’s Report. The Board had been provided with the Treasurer’s Report, prepared by corporation treasurer Sue Pritts. Keith Hanauer made a motion to approve the May 31, 2010 appropriations report beginning with: Fund 0100 through Fund 7954 and also the June 2010 claims report beginning with voucher number 471 to Bloomfield State Bank and ending with voucher number 549 to West Central Indiana Educational Service Center. Dwayne Hostetter seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
4. DOESA 545 Report for June 2010. Superintendent Sichting explained the June DOESA report. (See Attached) The 2010 June Basic Grant distribution was $513,008.35. The June distribution was reduced by $24,836.25 due to an Appropriation/Spending Authority Reduction ordered by Governor Daniels in January not due to ARRA Federal Stimulus funds.
5. Budget Tax Settlement Information. Superintendent Sichting explained 2010 Budget Tax Settlements for Excise Tax, Financial Institutions Tax, Commercial Vehicle Excise Tax, and Property Tax Settlement. He provided a table summarizing the activity in each fund. (See Attached)
6. Jr/Sr High School Hires Language Arts Instructor. It was recommended the Board approve the hire of Mr. Chris Hitchcock as a Language Arts instructor for grades 7-12 at Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School. Dwayne Hostetter moved to hire Mr. Hitchcock as recommended. Steve Dowden seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote. Mr. Sichting explained that Mr. Hitchcock had served as a long term substitute language arts teacher and also as girl’s basketball coach during the 2009-2010 school year and did a great job in the classroom and in his coaching duties. Mr. Dean said Mr. Hitchcock is good for kids and will be a great addition to the faculty.
7. Summer Band Instructor Hired. It was recommended the Board hire Alissa Wayman as Summer Band Instructor for 38 hours from June 21, 2010 through July 5, 2010. Keith Hanauer made a motion to approve the recommendation. Doug Frye seconded the motion and Mrs. Wayman was hired by a 7-0 vote.
8. Men Approved for Boy’s Volunteer Basketball Camp Coaches. David Dean asked the Board to approve Brad O’Neall and Derek Held as Boy’s Volunteer Basketball Camp Coaches for the summer of 2010. Mr. Sichting said the men would be assisting Coach John Bucher with boy’s basketball camp. Doug Frye moved to approve the recommendation. Sandy May seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
9. Superintendent Receives Extension to Contract. Superintendent Sichting asked the Board to extend his current administrative contract to June 30, 2013. (See Attached) Sandy May moved to approve the request. Dwayne Hostetter seconded the motion. Steve Dowden noted that this extension only addressed the length of Mr. Sichting’s contract and did not have an increase in salary, neither by a raise nor by the administrative salary schedule. The extension was granted by a 7-0 vote.
10. NJROTC Instructor Annual Certification and Contract. It was recommended the Board authorize the Superintendent to sign to JROTC INSTRUCTOR CERTIFICATION OF PAY AND DATA FORMS and contracts for Robin White and Frank Starr for the 2010-2011 school year. (See Attached) Mr. Sichting’s recommendation stated that Bloomfield’s NJROTC program had been an asset to the Bloomfield School District and brings pride to the students, school and community. He said it is well received by our students and student participation remains high. This group has been recognized at all levels for their achievement in physical training, academics, and military drill teams. Dwayne Hostetter moved to approve the recommendation. Doug Frye seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
11. Board Approves Overnight and Out-of-State NJROTC Field Trip. It was recommended the Board approve an overnight and out-of-state field trip for the Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School NJROTC unit to Marseilles, Illinois from Sunday, June 20 through Saturday, June 26, 2010. (See Attached) Sandy May made a motion to approve the field trip as requested. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
12. Board Approves Overnight and Out-of-State NJROTC Field Trip. It was recommended the Board approve an overnight and out-of-state field trip for the Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School NJROTC unit to Great Lakes, Illinois, from Saturday, June 19 through Saturday, June 26, 2010. (See Attached) Steve Dowden made a motion to approve the field trip as requested. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
13. Board Approves Overnight Field Trip for FFA Students. It was recommended the Board approve an overnight field trip for the Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School FFA Chapter to FFA Camp in Trafalgar, Indiana from July 12, 2010 through July 14, 2010. (See Attached) Dwayne Hostetter made a motion to approve the field trip as requested. Sandy May seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
14. 2010-2011 Elementary School Book Rental, Workbooks, and Consumable Materials Charges Approved. It was recommended that the Board adopt a list of course charges for the Bloomfield Elementary School for the 2010-2011 school year. (See Attached) Sandy May moved to approve book charges as presented for the elementary school. Steve Dowden seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
15. Board Approves Non-Resident Students Applications. Mr. Sichting told Board members that two non-resident students along with their parents had made application to Bloomfield School District for the 2010-2011 school year. (See Attached) He assured board members that the application was consistent with Board Policy #511 and that an interview had been held with the parents and students. Mr. Sichting said both students are in good academic and disciplinary standing in their present school corporation. The superintendent stated that Ms. Vandeventer had explained to the parents that presently they would not be charged any tuition for transferring, but that there would be a new calculation made at the start of the 2010-2011 school year and they possibly could owe transfer tuition at that time. Dwayne Hostetter moved to approve the transfers per the recommendation. Sandy May seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
16. Board Policy Revision First Reading Held. First reading was held on one (1) school board policy. #4401 Fringe Benefits for Support Staff was presented to the Board for first reading. (See Attached) Mr. Sichting shared some history and changes in this policy for the Board. This policy will be brought back to the Board for second reading and adoption.
17. Waiver Granted for School Aged Child Care Program. Superintendent Sichting informed the Board that he had received notification from the Indiana Department of Education on June 3, 2010 granting a waiver for one year for conducting a school aged child care program as outlined in IC 20-26-5-2. (See Attached)
18. Bloomfield Elementary 2009-2010 ISTEP+ Test Results. Elementary principal Mary Jane Vandeventer gave a presentation on the ISTEP+ test results for Bloomfield Elementary School.
19. Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School 2009-2010 ISTEP+ Test Results. Jr/Sr High School principal David Dean presented the results of the ISTEP+ test for Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School.
20. Board Hears Update on Progress of Collective Bargaining. Superintendent Sichting said that collective bargaining negotiations between the Board and the BTA began on June 2, 2010. He continued that the BTA declared an impasse to those negotiations on June 2, 2010. Indiana Education Employment Relations Board (IEERB) has been advised of the current contract impasse and will appoint a mediator. Mr. Sichting said Bloomfield School District Board of School Trustees is eager to work with the mediator and the teacher’s association to reach an agreement to protect the financial integrity of the Bloomfield School District. Mr. Sichting said that recent declining enrollment trends coupled with cuts to the 2010 budget for education has resulted in Bloomfield School District’s reoccurring expenses being greater than the District’s reoccurring revenue. He said the Board is optimistic the differences can be worked out and are eagerly awaiting the appointment of a mediator to help work on this situation.
21. Adjournment. There being no further business Doug Frye moved to adjourn. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion. The meeting was then adjourned by a 7-0 vote.