MINUTES OF REGULAR MEETING OF SCHOOL BOARD
OF BLOOMFIELD SCHOOL DISTRICT
September 29, 2011
The Board of School Trustees of the Bloomfield School District, of Greene County, Indiana, met in regular session on September 29, 2011, in the jr/sr high school conference room in Bloomfield Junior/Senior High School, 501 West Spring Street, Bloomfield, Indiana. The following school board members were present: Bill Bond, John Combs, Dwayne Hostetter, Sandy May, Matt Miller, and Eric Moody. Steve Dowden was absent. President Hostetter called the meeting to order at approximately 7:00 p.m. The following order of business was transacted with the President presiding:
1. Recognitions. David Dean recognized Bloomfield Senior Joey Cooper for his recent time spent in Spain through the I. U. Honors Program in Foreign Language. He said he had received a letter sharing how successful Joey had been during this experience. Mr. Dean also recognized the boy’s and girl’s cross country teams for a SWIAC win and a second placing, respectively, boy’s tennis team for winning the first game of the sectional and the Bloomfield Band, under the direction of newly hired band instructor Jennifer Bollero, for recently marching in the Scotland parade. Mr. Dean also appreciated that NJROTC members had recently done community service by parking cars at the Elnora Antique Tractor Show and the Scotland Festival. He announced that a new group of Bloomfield students had been inducted into the National Honor Society recently and recognized the Anti-bullying committee under the direction of Mrs. Royal and also the Renaissance Committee geared toward recognizing student achievement. Lastly, Mr. Dean encouraged everyone to check out the new “College Go Wall”. Mrs. Royal thanked Michelle Mattox and Nicole Peter for their help in training the principals on using the newly purchased iPads that will be used for the new Rise evaluations coming up. Superintendent Sichting thanked Mrs. Mattox and Mrs. Goodman along with the elementary and jr/sr high school staff as the first Acuity testing window had been completed and said now data would be gathered from that testing. Mr. Sichting announced that a partnership with the M. A. Rooney Foundation had been established. He thanked the BTA for allowing the October Staff Meeting date to be changed so that representatives from the M. A. Rooney Foundation can come and kick off the data driven, decision making classroom instructional model. Mr. Sichting praised the principals for their efforts in preparing for the Rise Evaluation Pilot.
2. Approval of Minutes. The Board had been provided with minutes of a regular school board meeting held on August 25, 2011 and a special school board meeting held on September 15, 2011, which had been prepared by corporation recording secretary Kelli Usrey. President Hostetter asked for a motion to approve the proposed board meetings. Bill Bond moved to approve the minutes of the August 25, 2011 regular board meeting along with the September 15, 2011 special meeting of the Board beginning with the sentence: “The Board of School Trustees of the Bloomfield School District, of Greene County, Indiana met in regular session on August 25, 2011.…” and ending with the sentence: The (September 15th) meeting was then adjourned by a 7-0 vote”. Eric Moody seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
3. Treasurer’s Report. The Board had been provided with the Treasurer’s Report, prepared by corporation treasurer Sue Pritts. Sandy Moody made a motion to approve the August 31, 2011 appropriations report beginning with: Fund 0100 through Fund 7965 and also the August 22, 2011 claims report beginning with voucher number 670 to Bloomfield State Bank and ending with voucher number 788 to Wireless Generation. Eric Moody seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
4. DOESA 541 Report for September 2011. Bloomfield School District received the August Tuition Support payment from the Indiana Department of Education on Thursday, September 15, 2011. The September DOE SA 541 Basic Grant payment was $517,517.18. The August payment amount was $0.02 greater than the September DOE SA 541 Basic Grant payment. The increase was due to averaging of payments during the last six months of the 2011 budget year. As consistent with earlier months during the 2011 budget, the September DOE SA 541 Basic Grant payment was decreased by $27,476.64. This is part of the reduction in funding ordered by Governor Daniels in December, 2009. The total reduction of the 2011 budget is estimated to be $329,403.36.
5. School Year 2011-2012 National School Lunch Program Final Report. Superintendent Sichting summarized the 2011-2012 National School Lunch Program Final Report submitted on July 21, 2011. Bloomfield School District submitted the attached annual report on July 21, 2011 for the district’s participation in the National School Lunch Program. In 2010-2011, Bloomfield School District Food Service took in $452,174.15 in revenue. The revenue breakdown was as follows:
- School Sales to Children-$207,657.61
- School Sales to Adults-$20,019.40
- State Revenue Match -$$5,015.19
- Federal Reimbursement-$$210,233.79
- Other Income-Other Food Service-$9,064.58
The expense breakdown was as follows:
- Food Expense-$ 207,759.91
- Labor Direct Preparation-$204,372.06
- Equipment $300 or less-$0
- Equipment-More than $300-$20,030.00
Average Meal Cost-School Lunch-$3.03
Average Meal Cost-School Breakfast-$1.15
Beginning Balance-$63,165.06 (7/2010) Ending Balance-$69,594.12 (7/2011)
6. 2011-2012 Membership in Indiana Small and Rural School Association Approved. Superintendent Sichting explained that Bloomfield School District had been a member of the Indiana Small and Rural Schools Association since the inception of the organization three years ago and Mr. Sichting recommended joining for the 2011-2012 school year. (See Attached) Matt Miller moved to approve the recommendation. John Combs seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
7. 2011-2012 ECA Recommendations Approved. Board members were provided with ECA recommendations for the 2011-2012 school year from Mr. McBride, Ms. Vandeventer, and/or Mr. Dean. Superintendent Sichting included his support of these recommendations. (See Attached) Eric Moody moved to approve the entire list as follows:
Clubs or Organizations
- Julie Evans-High School Major Musical/Play Choreography
Sets and Props
Junior High Musical Assistant
- Jarrod Arthur-Girl’s 7th Grade Girl’s Basketball Coach
- Caleb Dunkerly-Boy’s 7th and 8th Grade Volunteer Basketball Coach
- Patsy Fleetwood-Girl’s Volunteer 5th Grade Basketball Coach
- Cameron Gilmore-Boy’s 7th and 8th Grade Volunteer Basketball Coach
- Kenny Greves-Boy’s 6th Grade Volunteer Basketball Coach
- William Hasler-Boy’s Volunteer Assistant Varsity Basketball Coach
- Jarrod Holtsclaw-Boy’s Volunteer Assistant Varsity Basketball Coach
- Mitch Hobson-Boy’s 5th and 6th Grade Volunteer Basketball Coach
- Jamie Norman-Elementary Cheer Sponsor
- Mike Toon-Girl’s Volunteer 5th Grade Basketball Coach
- Lindsey Trimble-Girl’s Junior Varsity Girl’s Basketball Coach
- David Dean-Boy’s Volunteer 2nd Grade Basketball Coach
- Mike Helms-Boy’s Volunteer 3rd Grade Basketball Coach
- J.R. Ross-Boy’s Volunteer 4th Grade Basketball Coach
- Brent Townsend-Boy’s Volunteer 4th Grade Basketball Coach
- Mike Sherrard-Boy’s Volunteer 1st Grade Basketball Coach
Sandy May seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
8. Jr/Sr High School Teacher Requests Maternity Leave. Mrs. Brittany Nicholson, a Special Education teacher at Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School, submitted her request for a maternity leave from on or about February 6, 2012 through on or about April 2, 2012. (See Attached) Superintendent Sichting recommended approval. Bill Bond made a motion to approve the request. Matt Miller seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
9. Maternity Leave Request Approve for Elementary Teacher. It was recommended the Board approve a maternity leave request from Mrs. Laura Kay Rose, 2nd grade teacher at Bloomfield Elementary, from on or about January 3, 2012 through on or about March 5, 2012. (See Attached) Superintendent Sichting recommended approval. Sandy May made a motion to approve the request. Eric Moody seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
10. Bloomfield Elementary Hires Long Term Substitute Teacher. It was recommended the Board approve the employment of Mr. Caleb Dunkerly as a long term substitute teacher at Bloomfield Elementary School from on or about January 3, 2012 to on or about March 5, 2012. (See Attached) He stated Mr. Dunkerly would be teaching Mrs. Laura Kay Rose’s class while she is on maternity leave. Matt Miller moved to hire Mr. Dunkerly. Bill Bond seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
11. 2011-2012 Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School Improvement Committee Appointments Confirmed. Mr. Dean provided the Board with appointments to the School Improvement Committee for the Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School, which had been approved by the teacher’s association. (See Attached) He named Chris Hitchcock; Chairman, Candi Hamilton, Jennifer Heaton, and Michelle Mattox to serve on that committee for the 2011-2012 school year.
12. Board Approves Annual Overnight Zoo Trip. It was recommended the Board approve the annual overnight field trip for Bloomfield Elementary 2nd graders to the Indianapolis Zoo on May 16, 2012 and May 18, 2012. Mr. Sichting explained that students are often accompanied by parents and/or grandparents for the event. He explained that second grade students will be divided into two groups for the field trip with one group departing on May 16th and the other group going up on May 17th. Eric Moody made a motion to approve the field trip as presented. Sandy May seconded that motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
13. Band and Choral Field Trip Approved. The Board was provided with a request from the Band and Choral Departments to approve an overnight and out-of-state trip for Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School Band, Joyful Noise, Cardinalsong, and Center Stage to travel to Pigeon Forge, Tennessee to compete in the Music at the Parks competition at Dollywood. Mr. Sichting said the trip would run from April 26 through April 29, 2012. Sandy May moved to approve the trip. Matt Miller seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
14. Board Approves Overnight and Out-of-State NJROTC Field Trip. It was recommended the Board approve an overnight and out-of-state field trip for the Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School NJROTC unit to Nashville, Tennessee for the National Rifle Team Competition on October 14 and October 15, 2011. (See Attached) Bill Bond made a motion to approve the field trip as requested. John Combs seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote. Superintendent Sichting pointed out that last year the Bloomfield team came in 3rd in this competition in their District. He said the cadets participating will also receive instruction on how to become better shooters by attending air rifle shooting clinics.
15. Board Approves Overnight NJROTC Leadership Field Trip. It was recommended the Board approve an overnight field trip for the Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School NJROTC unit to participate in the Leadership and Orienteering Fall Challenge Invitational at Camp Atterbury in Edinburgh, Indiana from September 30 through October 2, 2011. (See Attached) Matt Miller made a motion to approve the field trip as requested. Bill Bond seconded the motion. Steve Dowden seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0.
16. Board Approves Monetary Donations. Superintendent Sichting told board members monetary donations had been made to Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School NJROTC Program from the Bloomfield American Legion Post #196 in the amount of $1,500. Mr. Sichting recommended acceptance of the donation in compliance with Board Policy #9510. Eric Moody made a motion to accept the donation. Matt Miller seconded the motion. Mr. Sichting thanked the Bloomfield American Legion Post #196 for their generous donation and continued support of the NJROTC Program.
17. 2011-2012 Bloomfield School District Free and Reduced Lunch Percentage. The 2011-2012 Bloomfield Free and Reduced Lunch rate decreased slightly from 2010-2011. The Free and Reduced Lunch rate is used to determine the school district’s poverty level. School Funding in terms of a district’s complexity index is tied to the Free and Reduced Lunch rate. Grant availability is also correlated to the district’s poverty rate. The good news is the complexity index for the 2012 budget and 2013 budget cycles were based on the 2010-2011 poverty rate. Below is a comparison of the 2010-2011and 2011-2012 poverty rate:
District Elementary Jr/Sr High School
2010-2011-38.15% 2010-2012-43.47% 2010-2011-33.61%
2011-2012-37.71% 2011-2012-42.7% 2011-2012-32.23%
18. 2011-2012 Bloomfield School District Average Daily Membership. Superintendent Sichting announced Average Daily Membership (ADM) for 2011-2012 for the Bloomfield School District to be 999.5 students. Mr. Sichting reminded board members that this time last year the ADM was 1045. He said in May it was known that the ADM had dropped by about 30 kids from the beginning to the end of the 2010-2011 school year. Mr. Sichting said over the summer of 2011 another 16 ½ students had left Bloomfield School District. He provided members with a mobility chart showing where students moved. (See Attached) He said that some families moved out of state for career changes while some students moved for extracurricular opportunities. It was noted that some lost students were foreign exchange students who moved back to their home and also to students who are now being home schooled. He reminded the Board that funding is determined by the number of students enrolled.
19. Information on Indiana Department of Education Model Salary Scale. Superintendent Sichting said the Indiana Department of Education had sent out a model salary scale. He stated the salary scale currently in use by school districts utilizing years of tenure and educational attainment is going to change dramatically due to Senate Bill 575 and Senate Bill 1 that were passed last year which contain two other categories, student achievement and professionalism, to be included in determining the salary scale. Mr. Sichting said he hopes to work with the Bloomfield Teacher’s Association to build a salary schedule for our district instead of purchasing one. Mr. Sichting stated that Bloomfield would have to have a new salary schedule in place within two years.
20. Adjournment. There being no further business Eric Moody moved to adjourn. Sandy May seconded the motion. The meeting was then adjourned by a 6-0 vote.
BLOOMFIELD SCHOOL DISTRICT – BOARD OF SCHOOL TRUSTEES
Attest: Secretary Superintendent of Schools