MINUTES OF REGULAR MEETING OF SCHOOL BOARD
OF BLOOMFIELD SCHOOL DISTRICT
February 25, 2010
The Board of School Trustees of the Bloomfield School District, of Greene County, Indiana, met in regular session on February 25, 2010, in the jr/sr high school conference room in Bloomfield Junior/Senior High School, 501 West Spring Street, Bloomfield, Indiana. The following school board members were present: John Combs, Steve Dowden, Doug Frye, Keith Hanauer, Marvin Helms,
Dwayne Hostetter, and Sandy May. President Helms called the meeting to order at approximately 7:00 p.m. The following order of business was transacted with the President presiding:
1. Recognitions. Superintendent Sichting presented elementary principal Mary Jane Vandeventer’s recognitions in her absence. Ms. Vandeventer’s acknowledgments included her announcement of the AdvancedEd visitation at the elementary school had resulted in BES meeting and exceeding academic excellence, fifth and sixth grade boys and girls basketball teams had completed their winter season and had shown teamwork and sportsmanship that represented the Elementary Bloomfield Cardinals well and also announced the sixth grade math bowl would be competing on March 1st in regional competition and wished them good luck. Lastly, Ms. Vandeventer reminded parents and board members that ISTEP+ for grades 3-6 would begin next week. She wished the students well as they demonstrate their academic knowledge. Mr. Dean shared that the AdvancedEd team was in the jr/sr high building earlier in the week and received full accreditation. He also shared that the Bloomfield NJROTC group received high accommodations at their recent inspection, announced the Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School Speech Team did well in several competitions recently, and said inductions are scheduled for February 26th for the JH National Honor Society. Mr. Sichting complimented the band for their performance at the girl’s sectional and praised FFA for the recent staff breakfast. He also announced that today was the math part of the Accuplacer test day at Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School in which 31 Bloomfield students qualified to take college algebra next year.
2. Approval of Minutes. The Board had been provided with minutes of the regular school board meeting and special session both held on January 28, 2010, which had been prepared by corporation recording secretary Kelli Usrey. Dwayne Hostetter moved to approve the minutes beginning with the sentence: “The Board of School Trustees of the Bloomfield School District met in special session on January 28, 2010…” and ending with the sentence: “The meeting was then adjourned by a 5-0 vote”. Doug Frye seconded the motion. The motion passed by a 5-0-2 vote. John Combs and Steve Dowden abstained from voting because they were not in attendance at the January 28th meetings.
3. Treasurer’s Report. The Board had been provided with the Treasurer’s Report, prepared by corporation treasurer Sue Pritts. Keith Hanauer made a motion to approve the January 31, 2010 appropriations report beginning with: Fund 0100 through Fund 7954 and also the February 2010 claims report beginning with voucher number 84 to Bloomfield State Bank and ending with voucher number 172 to 1st Security Insurance Agency. Steve Dowden seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
4. DOESA 545 Report for February 2010. Superintendent Sichting said the District had received the February Tuition Support Payment from the state of Indiana. (See Attached) He said Bloomfield School District was expecting a $32,000 cut in 2010 tuition support due to declining Special Education student enrollment, but actually received $33,790 cut in Special Education funding. Mr. Sichting also shared that the District had received notification from the Indiana Department of Education of a problem with Special Education funding. He explained that funding for Special Education students was applied to the corporation of service instead of the corporation of legal settlement and that as a result, an adjustment for the error would occur beginning with the March tuition support payment.
5. Board Opens Sealed Quotes for Demolition of Property and Takes Them Under Advisement. Superintendent Sichting provided the following information concerning the process for quotes for the Demolition of Property. An advertisement was published in the “Greene County Daily World” concerning the solicitation of quotes to tear down houses owned by Bloomfield School District. A pre-bid meeting was held on Friday, February 5, 2010 in the Bloomfield Junior High Conference Room. Thirteen bid packets were picked up at the Bloomfield Superintendent’s office. Seven parties submitted quotes for the project. At this point, Mr. Marvin Helms opened the bid packets and read aloud the quotes and individual or business submitting the quote. Interest individuals or businesses must have submitted the following to be awarded the project:
- Proof of Performance Bond-$5,000 per property (4 total)
- Proof of Liability Insurance-$1,000,000 per occurrence, $2,000,000 aggregate minimum coverage
- Proof of Workmen’s Compensation Insurance or Waiver of Exclusion
Interested contractors were asked to submit a quote for demolition of three houses
and a trailer. The quotes were due in the Bloomfield School District Superintendent’s Office by 3:00 P.M. on Friday, February 12, 2010. Mr. Sichting also explained that demolition is a service so there is no statutory requirements for accepting quotes for demolition, which means the Board can accept a quote, reject all quotes or negotiate with one bidder. Mr. Sichting said anything is possible and can be done with regard to quotes for demolition. Steve Dowden voiced he would be in favor of a local person being awarded the quote, while also looking after local tax dollars. Doug Frye stated he felt the Board should open the quotes and take them under advisement. Superintendent Sichting explained that bidders were asked to submit one quote for the demolition of three houses and a trailer and a separate quote for another house that the District did not have possession of at the time the quotes were taken. At this time, the quotes were open and read aloud by President Helms. The quotes were as follows: Blackhorse, LLC from Martinsville, $34,430.00 with no alternate bid; Joshua Campbell, $26,100.00 with an alternate bid of $5,275.00; Carr-Thomas Construction, Inc. from Linton, $18,000.00 with an alternate bid of $4,700.00; Deckard & Musgrave from Bloomington, $31,000.00 with an alternate bid of $8,600.00; Kramers Land Clearing, LLC, $16,850.00 with an alternate bid of $3,9000.00; Lowder Excavating from Bloomfield, $39,594.00 with no alternate bid; and Riley Terrell Law Care from Bloomfield, $17,528.00 with an alternate bid of $4,780.00. Doug Frye made a motion to take the quotes under advisement. Sandy May seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
6. Board Hears Update on Wind Park. Tony Kuykendall of Performance Services Business Development gave board members more options of investing in the wind park in northern Indiana. (See Attached)
7. Reduction in Force Notifications Authorized. It was recommended the Board authorize Superintendent Sichting to provide notification of a “Reduction in Force” to staff members whose salaries are paid through grant funds and any other employees who would be affected by the “Reduction in Force”. Sandy May made a motion to approve the recommendation. Steve Dowden seconded the motion. Mr. Sichting explained that salaries of three Bloomfield School District staff members are supplied through Title I Grant funding and the deadline for notification of a possible “Reduction in Force” is April 15th set by the Bloomfield School District Master Teaching Contract. Mr. Sichting also noted that those employees possibly affected by the Rif who were hired last summer were informed at that time of the possibility of notification of the “Reduction in Force”.
8. Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School Teacher Requests Maternity Leave. Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School teacher Mrs. Jennifer Heaton requested a maternity leave from on or about April 19, 2010 until on or about June 3, 2010. (See Attached) Superintendent Sichting said Mrs. Heaton currently teaches math and social studies and recommended approval. Sandy May made a motion to approve the leave. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
9. 2009-2010 ECA Recommendations Approved. Board members were provided with ECA recommendations for the 2009-2010 school year from Mr. McBride. (See Attached) Superintendent Sichting included his support of the recommendations. The recommendations were as follows:
- Eric Lyons-Boy’s Assistant Baseball Coach
- Casey Rice-Boy’s Junior Varsity Baseball Coach
- Regina Hildebrand-Girl’s Assistant Track Coach
Keith Hanauer made a motion to approve the recommendations. Sandy May seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
10. Board Hires NJROTC Senior Naval Science Instructor. It was recommended the board hire Frank Staff, Lieutenant Commander U.S. Navy Retired as Senior Naval Science Instructor NJROTC at Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School effective July 1, 2010. (See Attached) Dwayne Hostetter moved to hire Lieutenant Commander Starr per the recommendation. Steve Dowden seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
11. Board Approves Overnight Speech Team Field Trips. It was recommended the Board approve overnight field trips for the Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School Speech Team for competitions. The Team would travel to Evansville on March 5th, Lawrence Central High School in Indianapolis on March 12th, Fishers High School in Fishers on March 19th; (See Attached) Dwayne Hostetter made a motion to approve the field trips as requested. Doug Frye seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
12. Board Policy Revision Second Reading and Adoption. Second reading was held on one (1) school board policy. #5111 Eligibility of Resident/Nonresident Students was presented to the Board for second reading. (See Attached) Steve Dowden moved to adopt the policy. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
13. Director Gives Report on Greene Academy Junior High Alternative School and Out-of-School Suspension Program. Mike Hennie, Director of Greene Academy provided board members information on Greene Academy in the jr. high alternative education program and an out-of-school suspension program.
14. Board Hears Update on BSD Website Redesign. Superintendent Sichting gave an update on the redesign of the Bloomfield School District website. He said he hopes to have the website complete on or shortly after Spring Break.
15. Inclement Weather Makeup Days and Graduation Day Set. Mr. Sichting announced that the missed instructional days will be made up on Tuesday, June 1, 2010, Wednesday, June 2, 2010, and Thursday, June 3, 2010. He continued that school would also be in session for make-up of lost instructional days on Friday, May 7, 2010, and Friday, May 28, 2010. Mr. Sichting also told the Board that graduation ceremonies had been rescheduled for Saturday, June 5, 2010.
16. Adjournment. There being no further business Doug Frye moved to adjourn. Sandy May seconded the motion.
The meeting was then adjourned by a 5-0 vote.