MINUTES OF REGULAR MEETING OF SCHOOL BOARD
OF BLOOMFIELD SCHOOL DISTRICT
November 18, 2010
The Board of School Trustees of the Bloomfield School District, of Greene County, Indiana, met in regular session on November 18, 2010, in the jr/sr high school conference room in Bloomfield Junior/Senior High School, 501 West Spring Street, Bloomfield, Indiana. The following school board members were present: Bill Bond, John Combs, Dwayne Hostetter, Matt Miller, and Eric Moody. Steve Dowden and Sandy May were absent. President Hostetter called the meeting to order at approximately 7:00 p.m. The following order of business was transacted with the President presiding:
1. Recognitions. Elementary principal Mary Jane Vandeventer recognized members of Mrs. Arthur’s 6th grade class who were present to give a presentation. Ms. Vandeventer told those present that Bloomfield Elementary held a balloon launch recently to show their commitment to say NO to drugs, and recognized the elementary student council for their participation in a recent food drive. Mr. Dean recognized Bloomfield staff and students for a great Veteran’s Day Program, the girl’s and boy’s basketball season’s getting started, the school’s participation in a Math Grant, the recent ROTC military ball, said the KD Johnson concert held recently went well and thanked Rebecca Yingling for her help as SADD counselor. Superintendent Sichting announced the upcoming annual musical production of Annie and wished Mrs. Helms and cast members great success, congratulated Mr. Dean for a very nice Veteran’s Day Program and thanked Miss Yingling and SADD members for the coordination they did in preparing for the KD Johnson concert. Mr. Sichting also recognized Mark Bartlow and Candi Lang, who are involved in Project Lead the Way medical and biology programs, for recently hosting an Advisory Council meeting of other Greene county schools and announced Mr. Bartlow’s Medical Biology program will be hosting a site visit by the state vocational people on November 23rd. Mr. Sichting congratulated grant writer Sophie Haywood on receiving a $38,000 grant for Greene County schools to implement presentations on bullying prevention. President Hostetter welcomed the 6th graders present and said board members were looking forward to their presentation.
2. Bloomfield School District Receives Riley Foundation Honors. Ben Cohan representing Riley Children’s Hospital Foundation presented Mrs. Susie Schulte and Mrs. Susan Street honors for their fundraising efforts on behalf of Bloomfield School District for the Foundation. Mr. Sichting also added words of praise for the ladies.
3. 6th Graders Make Presentation. Mrs. Stephanie Arthur and members of her sixth grade class gave a presentation complete with power point on a new project they are doing. The class explained they would be doing a math project on creating a business and all that entails. Their business called “Brain Freeze” would be a store selling ice cream products during 6th grade lunch time. Board members thanked the class and Mrs. Arthur for a great presentation.
4. Approval of Minutes. The Board had been provided with minutes of the regular school board meeting held on October 28, 2010, which had been prepared by corporation recording secretary Kelli Usrey. Matt Miller moved to approve the minutes of the proposed school board meeting beginning with the sentence: “The Board of School Trustees of the Bloomfield School District, of Greene County, Indiana met in regular session on October 28, 2010…” and ending with the sentence: “The (October 28, 2010) meeting was then adjourned by a 6-0 vote”. John Combs seconded the motion. The motion passed by a 5-0 vote.
5. Treasurer’s Report. The Board had been provided with the Treasurer’s Report, prepared by corporation treasurer Sue Pritts. Eric Moody made a motion to approve the October 31, 2010 appropriations report beginning with: Fund 0100 through Fund 7954 and also the November 2010 claims report beginning with voucher number 930 to Bloomfield State Bank and ending with voucher number 990 to Supreme School Supply. Bill Bond seconded the motion, which passed by a 5-0 vote.
6. DOESA 545 Report for November 2010. Superintendent Sichting said the November DOE SA report showed that funding was stable when compared to earlier months. (See Attached) He said there was a funding reduction of $24,836.25 for the month of November, which was consistent with the $297,836.24 funding cut made by Governor Daniels in January for all public schools in the state of Indiana. He said a reduction of $29.68 was also made due to Medicaid reimbursement received for services provided to a Special Education student, which would be transferred from the Medicaid reimbursement account to the General Fund.
7. Resolution for Transfer of Appropriations. It was recommended the Board authorize appropriate district personnel to make transfers within minor categories and to transfer among major categories, appropriations necessary to allow for expenditures in the 2010 budget, when necessary. (See Attached) Mr. Sichting stated this resolution would cover all funds, if necessary. Bill Bond moved to approve the appropriation. Matt Miller seconded the motion, which passed by a 5-0 vote.
8. Resolution for Short-Term Transfer of Funds. Superintendent Sichting recommended the Board approve a resolution authorizing a short-term transfer of funds from the Rainy Day Fund to the Debt Service and Retirement/Severance Bond Debt Service Funds. (See Attached) Matt Miller made a motion to approve the resolution as presented. Eric Moody seconded the motion, which passed by a 5-0 vote.
9. Board Hears Information on 2010 Summer School Reimbursement. Superintendent Sichting wrote the following explanation concerning the district’s 2010 Summer School Reimbursement. (See Attached) On November 19, 2010, the Indiana Department of Education reimbursed Bloomfield School District for 2010 Summer School classes. During the 2010 summer school session, Bloomfield Jr.-Sr. High School offered Health, Supervised Agriculture Experience, and Driver’s Education during the 2010 summer school period. Driver’s Education is not eligible for reimbursement from the state of Indiana. The 2010 summer school offerings were reimbursed by the Indiana Department of Education at a rate of 100% of eligible expenses. In comparison the 2009 reimbursement was 73.8971223%. Bloomfield School District submitted expenses for reimbursement of $17,850.00. School districts were eligible for 105% reimbursement of eligible costs. As a result, the Indiana Department of Education reimbursed Bloomfield School District in the amount of $18,742.50 of the eligible expenses, which was at a rate of 100%.
10. Agreement With Horizon CPA Services Approved. It was recommended the Board authorize Superintendent Dan Sichting to execute an agreement with Horizon CPA Services to conduct a compilation of the Bloomfield School District Employee Benefit Trust for 2010. Eric Moody moved to approve the recommendation. John Combs seconded the motion, which passed by a 5-0 vote.
11. Board Approves Resolution Authorizing Request for Proposals for Guaranteed Energy Savings Contract. It was recommended the Board approve a resolution authorizing Requests for Proposal for Guaranteed Energy Savings Contract. Matt Miller made a motion to approve the recommendation. Bill Bond seconded the motion. Superintendent Sichting told board members the District was awarded a QZAB Bond from the Indiana Department of Education. He said he would be publishing notice as required by law for Proposals from vendors for Energy Savings Contracts for a project to renovate the heating, cooling, electrical, and lighting of the upper section of Bloomfield Elementary and the “D” hallway of Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School. The recommendation was approved by a 5-0 vote.
12. 2010-2011 ECA Recommendations Approved. Board members were provided with ECA recommendations for the 2010-2011 school year from Mr. McBride, and/or Mr. Dean. Superintendent Sichting included his support of these recommendations. (See Attached) John Combs moved to approve the complete list as follows:
- Angela Brown – High School Student Council
Junior High School Student Council
Senior Class Sponsor
- Cindy Riggins – Senior Class Sponsor
- Bill McIntosh – Girl’s 8th Grade Basketball Coach
- Steve Workman – Junior High Girl’s Basketball Coach
Matt Miller seconded the motion, which passed by a 5-0 vote.
13. Board Approves Overnight and Out-of-State NJROTC Field Trip. It was recommended the Board approve an overnight and out-of-state field trip for the Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School NJROTC unit to Camp Perry, Ohio from December 10 through December 11, 2010. Mr. Sichting explained the unit would be participating in Regional Midwest Air Rifle National Qualifier. (See Attached) Bill Bond made a motion to approve the field trip as requested. Eric Moody seconded the motion, which passed by a 5-0 vote.
14. Bloomfield NJROTC Receives Donation. Bloomfield American Legion Post #196 donated $1,000 to the Bloomfield Jr/Sr NJROTC Unit. Mr. Sichting explained that Board Policy #9510 requires the Board to accept all gifts, grants, or bequests and recommended acceptance. Eric Moody moved to accept the donation. Bill Bond seconded the motion, which passed by a 5-0 vote.
15. Class of 2011 Receives Monetary Donation. The Bloomfield Class of 2011 Post Prom Parent Committee donated $1,000 to the 2011 Bloomfield Jr/Sr Class to go towards the payment for a color section featuring the Class of 2011 in the yearbook. Matt Miller made a motion to accept the donation. Bill Bond seconded the motion, which passed by a 5-0 vote.
16. Board Policy Revision First Reading Held. First reading was held on one (1) school board policy. #7434 Use of tobacco on school premises was presented to the Board for first reading. (See Attached) A long discussion was held on the proposed policy with opinions given and suggestions made. This policy will be brought back to the Board for second reading and adoption.
17. District Receives Qualified Zone Academy Bond. Superintendent Sichting provided a copy of a letter he received from the Indiana Department of Education stating Bloomfield School District’s application for the Qualified Zone Academic Bond had been approved. (See Attached)
18. Collective Bargaining Update. Superintendent Sichting told board members negotiations are continuing and have reached agreement on all issues except one. He said he was hopeful the last issue could be agreed upon soon.
19. Emergency School Closing Procedures for 2010-2011 Announced. Board members
and members of the media were provided with Emergency School Closing Procedures for the 2010-2011 school year. (See Attached.)
20. Adjournment. There being no further business Eric Moody moved to adjourn. Matt Miller seconded the motion. The meeting was then adjourned by a 5-0 vote.