MINUTES OF REGULAR MEETING OF SCHOOL BOARD
OF BLOOMFIELD SCHOOL DISTRICT
December 30, 2010
The Board of School Trustees of the Bloomfield School District, of Greene County, Indiana, met in regular session on December 30, 2010, in the jr/sr high school conference room in Bloomfield Junior/Senior High School, 501 West Spring Street, Bloomfield, Indiana. The following school board members were present: Bill Bond, John Combs, Steve Dowden, Dwayne Hostetter, Sandy May, Matt Miller, and Eric Moody. President Hostetter called the meeting to order at approximately 7:25 p.m., immediately following the public hearing held at 7:00 p.m. The following order of business was transacted with the President presiding:
1. Recognitions. Mr. Dean announced that Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School’s graduation rate was 97.4% and acknowledged the efforts of the staff, teachers, guidance department and school community that made that happen. Mr. Dean also recognized the music and band programs for their recent concerts. Mr. Sichting voiced his appreciation to Mrs. Susan Street for her work in collecting Christmas gifts for area families who otherwise would not have had any. Mr. Sichting praised Mr. Dean, Mrs. Crane and Mrs. Raidy for their tireless efforts in keeping on top of student’s grades and keeping them on track for graduation. The superintendent then recognized the Bloomfield Teacher’s Association by sharing that they understood the financial situation the school is in and worked well with the Board at the bargaining table. Mr. Sichting thanked them for their mutual trust and admiration and announced that a settlement had been reached. President Hostetter echoed praise and thanks on behalf of the Board to the teachers, staff, and administration that were responsible in making the graduation rate so high.
2. Approval of Minutes. The Board had been provided with minutes of the regular school board meeting held on November 18, 2010, which had been prepared by corporation recording secretary Kelli Usrey. Eric Moody moved to approve the minutes of the proposed school board meeting beginning with the sentence: “The Board of School Trustees of the Bloomfield School District, of Greene County, Indiana met in regular session on November 18, 2010…” and ending with the sentence: “The (November 18, 2010) meeting was then adjourned by a 5-0 vote”. Matt Miller seconded the motion. The motion passed by a 5-0-2 vote. Steve Dowden and Sandy May abstained from voting because they were not in attendance at the November 18, 2010, meeting.
3. Treasurer’s Report. The Board had been provided with the Treasurer’s Report, prepared by corporation treasurer Sue Pritts. Steve Dowden made a motion to approve the November 30, 2010 appropriations report beginning with: Fund 0100 through Fund 7954 and also the December 2010 claims report beginning with voucher number 991 to Bloomfield State Bank and ending with voucher number 1099 to West Central Indiana Educational Service Center. Bill Bond seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
4. Bargaining Contract Settled with Bloomfield Teacher’s Association. It was recommended the Board approve an agreement with the Bloomfield Teacher’s Association (BTA) for the 2010-2011 school year. Mr. Sichting stated that the teachers had been working under a status quo contract since the last contract had expired on August 1, 2010. He also shared the major provisions of the 2010-2011 agreement including 0% salary increase, a retirement incentive for teachers with thirty (30) or more years of experience in BSD to receive a one time $25,000 payment to the employee’s 401 (a) Annuity account with application being made by February 29, 2011, and also a 0% increase in Extra-Curricular Stipends. Sandy May made a motion to approve the agreement. John Combs seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
5. DOESA 540 Report for December 2010. Superintendent Sichting said the December DOESA report showed that the appropriation was expended and as a result the anticipated spending reduction for December was reduced by $1,887.28 from the spending reduction ordered in the months of January through November. (See Attached) He said the final 2010 spending reduction for Bloomfield School District was $295,948.98. Mr. Sichting added a reduction of $9.90 was also made due to Medicaid reimbursement received by Bloomfield School District.
6. Information on 2011 Certified Budget Order. Superintendent Sichting provided board members with 2011 budget order for Greene County from the Indiana Department of Local Government Finance, which was issued on December 7, 2010. (See Attached)
7. Board Approve Agreement with Educational Services Company to Conduct and Evaluate Request for Proposals. It was recommended the Board approve an agreement with Educational Services Company to conduct and evaluate Requests for Proposals in terms of Variable Employee Benefit Plans, 401 (a) plans, and 403 (b) plans for certified teachers. (See Attached) Matt Miller moved to approve the recommendation. Steve Dowden seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
8. Administrative Fee Schedule for Bloomfield School District Employee Welfare Benefit Trust. It was recommended the Board approve the Administrative Fee Schedule Endorsement for the Bloomfield School District Employee Welfare Benefit Trust. (See Attached) Mr. Sichting explained that the Administrative Fee Schedule was established during the annual renewal of the Bloomfield School District Employee Health Insurance renewal on June 1, 2010 and that the District had been paying the increased fees since that date. Eric Moody moved to approve the Fee Schedule as recommended. Bill Bond seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
9. Service Agreement Approved with Bledsoe, Riggert, and Guerrettaz for Survey. Superintendent Sichting told board members he was recommending they hire Bledsoe, Riggert, and Guerrettaz Land Surveying/Civil Engineering to survey the school’s property located north of highway 54 in Bloomfield for the purpose of possibly offering that property for sale. (See Attached) He said the survey would divide the property into three parcels and would show the recording identification of all deeds making up the school property, along with adjoining land owner’s by name and deed recording information as found in the Greene County Recorder’s Office. Sandy May made a motion to approve the recommendation. John Combs seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote. Mr. Sichting said the fee for this survey would be paid from the Capital Projects Fund.
10. Employee Term Life Insurance Renewed. It was recommended the Board approve the renewal of term life insurance for employees from Fort Dearborn Life Company from January 1, 2011 through January 1, 2013. (See Attached) Bill Bond moved to approve the recommendation. Steve Dowden seconded the motion. Mr. Sichting explained that Fort Dearborn Life Insurance Company began being the carrier of employee term life insurance in 2009. He said this renewal is at the same rate of $151.20 annually for $90,000 of term life insurance for employees of the district with no cost increase. The District pays this premium for employees of the District as a benefit. The motion passed by a 7-0 vote.
11. Information on 2010 December Tax Settlement. Superintendent Sichting told board members the final tax settlement for the 2010 budget cycle had been received on December 22, 2010. He provided board members with tables showing the amounts received per taxing source along with an explanation of each one. (See Attached)
12. Bloomfield School District Deputy Treasurer Resigns. Bloomfield School District Deputy Treasurer Mrs. Janene Hanauer submitted her letter of resignation effective December 31, 2010. (See Attached) Mr. Sichting explained that Mrs. Hanauer was not interested in becoming the full time treasurer in the future when current treasurer Mrs. Sue Pritts retires. Eric Moody made a motion to accept Mrs. Hanauer’s resignation. Steve Dowden seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote. Mr. Sichting thanked Mrs. Hanauer for her years of service and wished her well.
13. Board Hires Deputy Treasurer. It was recommended the Board hire Ms. Stacey Helms as the Deputy Treasurer of Bloomfield School District effective January 1, 2011. (See Attached) Mr. Sichting explained that this would be a part- time position consisting of two days every two weeks. Matt Miller moved to approve the recommendation. Sandy May seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
14. 2010-2011 ECA Recommendations Approved. Board members were provided with ECA recommendations for the 2010-2011 school year from Mr. McBride, and/or Mr. Hitchcock. Superintendent Sichting included his support of these recommendations. (See Attached) Steve Dowden moved to approve the complete list as follows:
- Lana Pinnick – Biddy Ball Volunteer
- Rachelle Schantz – Biddy Ball Volunteer
- Wendy Bastin – Biddy Ball Volunteer
- Ruth Ann Flynn – Biddy Ball Volunteer
Bill Bond seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
15. Board Approves Overnight NJROTC Field Trip. It was recommended the Board approve an overnight field trip for the Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School NJROTC unit to West Lafayette, Indiana from Friday, January 28, 2011 to Saturday, January 29, 2011. Mr. Sichting explained the unit would be participating in drill competition and touring the campus Purdue University. (See Attached) Sandy May made a motion to approve the field trip as requested. John Combs seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
16. Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School Receives Donation. Peabody Bear Run Mining donated $250 to the Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School. Mr. Sichting explained that Board Policy #9510 requires the Board to accept all gifts, grants, or bequests and recommended acceptance. Eric Moody moved to accept the donation. Matt Miller seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
17. Affiliation Agreement with Indiana State University Approved. The District received an agreement from Indiana State University outlining the responsibilities of Bloomfield School District, Indiana State University, and the student in terms of an educational placement for the purpose of a student teaching experience or practicum experience (See Attached) Mr. Sichting recommended approval. Sandy May made a motion to enter into the agreement per Mr. Sichting’s recommendation. Eric Moody seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote. Mr. Sichting said the agreement referred to a limited criminal history report obtained on the student(s) being placed. He assured the Board that before he signs the agreement he will make sure they are actually completing an expanded criminal history report.
18. Board Policy Revision Second Reading & Adoption Held. Second reading was held on one (1) school board policy. #7434 Use of Tobacco on School Premises was presented to the Board for second reading and adoption. Mr. Sichting had provided three options for board members. Eric Moody made a motion to approve the third option which was our current policy with part of the last sentence deleted. (See Attached) Steve Dowden seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
19. Board Policy Revision First Reading Held. First reading was held on one (1) school board policy. #7415 Pest Control was presented to the Board for first reading. (See Attached) Superintendent Sichting explained the revisions from the current policy. This policy will be brought back to the Board for second reading and adoption.
20. Other Items of Business that May Need Action Prior to the Next Board Meeting. President Hostetter spoke on behalf of the Board of their disappointment that the school’s new website was not up and running after over one year of discussion about it. He asked Mr. Sichting to relay their concerns to the district tech coordinator. Mr. Sichting he would have a meeting with Mrs. Mattox and continue to encourage her to move forward with the website.
21. Information on Resolution Concerning School Funding. Superintendent Sichting told board members he had received correspondence from John Glenn School Corporation to adopt a resolution regarding school funding inequities between charter schools and non-charter schools in Indiana. (See Attached) He said every charter or non-charter school in the state is funded on a base dollar amount of $4,505 per student and the size of the school’s free and reduced lunch student population provides a multiplier or complexity index. He explained that charter schools receiving an average per pupil funding dollar amount of $6,637 per student equates to the charter schools having a larger population of free and reduced lunch students in their enrollment. Superintendent Sichting said he could not recommend the proposed resolution to the Board for passage.
22. Board Receives Notice of Insurance Non-Renewal. Mr. Sichting explained that Bloomfield School District has a self-funded health insurance plan and as a part of that reinsurance is purchased for any catastrophic claim surpassing $50,000. He continued that on December 8, 2010, Bloomfield School District received notice of Federal Insurance’s intent to discontinue the stop/loss insurance for Bloomfield School District Employee Welfare Benefit Plan due to recent federal legislation concerning health insurance.
23. Public Comments. Ag teacher Ben Helms informed the Board of his desire to take extra funds in the FFA treasury and give it to the Greene County Foundation to create a scholarship for a Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School student. Mr. Helms asked if anyone had objections to him pursuing that avenue. Mr. Sichting stated he serves on the board of directors of the Foundation and offered to look into any legal ramifications in starting this process. Jr/sr high school teacher Mark Bartlow expressed his appreciation to the Board for moving forward with the planned renovations to the elementary and jr high wing.
24. Adjournment. There being no further business Eric Moody moved to adjourn. Matt Miller seconded the motion. The meeting was then adjourned by a 7-0 vote.