MINUTES OF REGULAR MEETING OF SCHOOL BOARD
OF BLOOMFIELD SCHOOL DISTRICT
March 22, 2012
The Board of School Trustees of the Bloomfield School District, of Greene County, Indiana, met in regular session on March 22, 2012, in the jr/sr high school conference room in Bloomfield Junior/Senior High School, 501 West Spring Street, Bloomfield, Indiana. The following school board members were present: Bill Bond, John Combs, Steve Dowden, Dwayne Hostetter, Sandy May, Matt Miller and Eric Moody. President Hostetter called the meeting to order at approximately 7:00 p.m. The following order of business was transacted with the President presiding:
1. Recognitions. Mr. Sichting recognized members of the elementary SeaPerch team and their sponsor, Mrs. Fish for being the co-state champion for Indiana. Mrs. Fish introduced Bloomfield Elementary SeaPerch members Kelsey Moody and Taylor Rollison and said the third member of the team who could not be at the board meeting was Kent Quakenbush. Mrs. Fish brought a sample of the SeaPerch robot that was used and explained each element of the competition. She said she would be traveling with the students to Virginia for the National competition in April. Mr. Dean recognized staff and students for successfully completing the first round of ISTEP+ testing, SWIAC winter banquet, students who made All Conference, and students participating in the BPA State competition. He continued by mentioning some honors bestowed upon the NJROTC teams and said they were presently in route to Hawaii for a field trip. Mr. Sichting announced that the jr/sr high school along with the elementary school had been working very hard to improve student academic achievement at Bloomfield Schools by preparing for ISTEP+ testing. He praised Ms. Vandeventer and Mr. Dean for their leadership in working with staff and students to make those improvements. Mr. Sichting also shared that in 2010 Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School had the most students that were College Ready than any school in Greene County. He said Bloomfield also had the most graduates pursuing post secondary education.
2. Approval of Minutes. The Board had been provided with minutes of a regular school board meeting held on February 23, 2012, which had been prepared by corporation recording secretary Kelli Usrey. President Hostetter asked for a motion to approve the proposed board meeting. Bill Bond moved to approve the minutes of the proposed board meeting beginning with the sentence: “The Board of School Trustees of the Bloomfield School District, of Greene County, Indiana met in regular session on February 23, 2012…” and ending with the sentence: “The (February 23rd Regular) meeting was then adjourned by a 5-0 vote”. Matt Miller seconded the motion, which passed by a 5-0-2 vote. Sandy May and Steve Dowden abstained because they were not in attendance at the February 23, 2012 meeting of the Board.
3. Treasurer’s Report. The Board had been provided with the Treasurer’s Report, prepared by corporation treasurer Sue Pritts. Eric Moody made a motion to approve the February 21, 2012 claims listing beginning with voucher number 126 to Bloomfield State Bank and ending with voucher number 209 to 1st Security Insurance and also the February 29, 2012 appropriations report beginning with: Fund 0100 through Fund 7965. Matt Miller seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
4. DOE SA 542 Report for March 2012. Bloomfield School District received the March tuition support payment on Thursday, March 17, 2012. (See Attached) The March DOE SA 542 Basic Grant payment was in the amount of $493,481.10. The March DOE SA 542 Basic Grant payment was $0.01 greater than the February DOE SA 542 Basic Grant payment. The difference resulted in the averaging of the Prime Time Grant in the DOE SA 542 Basic Grant payment. Again, Bloomfield School District is receiving approximately $287,000 less in funding in 2012 from 2011. The changes in funding were due to a decline in Average Daily Membership and from changes made in the funding formula adopted during the 2011 legislative session.
5. 2012 Summer School Courses Approved. It was recommended the Board approve the following list of classes (See Attached) to be offered during the 2012 Summer School Session at Bloomfield Elementary and Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School:
- Reading (Grades 1-3)
- English 9
- English 10
- World History or Civilization
- Algebra I
- Advanced Concert Band
- Supervised Agriculture Experience
- Language Arts (Grades 1-8)
- Mathematics (Grades 1-8)
- Jr. Reserve Officer Corps
- Driver’s Education
Eric Moody moved to approve the recommendation. John Combs seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
6. Title II Part A Grant Approval. The Indiana Department of Education recently notified Bloomfield School District the fiscal year 2011 Title II Part A Grant application was recently approved. (See Attached) The FY Title II Part A
Grant breakdown as approved by the Indiana Department of Education was:
- Category 1-/Recruitment, Retention Incentives, and Differentiated Pay-$11,452
- Category 2-Professional Development-$800
- Category 3-Class Size Reduction-$20,000
Mr. Sichting explained the Title II Part A Grant Funds would be used for categorical expenses during the 2012-2013
7. Board Hears Results of Guaranteed Energy Savings Report-January 1, 2011 to December 31, 2011. Superintendent Sichting explained that by law anytime a school uses the energy savings statute to do any type of project there is a reporting requirement by the state of Indiana. He said Performance Services recently released the 2011 Guaranteed Energy Savings Report for Bloomfield School District. (See Attached) All government entities utilizing the guaranteed energy savings statute to finance projects are required to report energy savings to the state of Indiana. The reporting period of January 1, 2011 through December 31, 2011 resulted in the following energy savings:
The 2008 Guaranteed Energy Savings contract guaranteed $1,575 of utility savings per year. It is estimated the 2008 renovations resulted in utility savings of $6,105. The difference in total savings and real savings from the 2008 Guaranteed Energy Savings contract was due to additional savings from other energy savings from staff and replacement of other equipment.
8. Maternity Leave Approved. It was recommended the Board approve a maternity leave for Mrs. Laura Helms from on or about August 20, 2012 and continuing through December 21, 2012. Steve Dowden made a motion to approve the recommendation. Sandy May seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
9. 2011-2012 Extra-Curricular Recommendations. It was recommended the Board approve the following extra-curricular appointments for the 2011-2012 school year:
- Todd Deaton-Junior Varsity Softball
- Scott Yoho-Boy’s Golf (Grades 9-12)
Steve Dowden made a motion to approve the recommendation. Eric Moody seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
10. Bloomfield Elementary SeaPerch Field Trip (Overnight and Out-of-State) Approved. It was recommended the Board approve an overnight and out-of-state field trip for the Bloomfield Elementary SeaPerch team to Manassas, Virginia from April 11, 2012 through April 14, 2012. (See Attached) Sandy May moved to approve the recommendation. John Combs seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
11. Board Approves Overnight Field Trip for Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School FFA to West Lafayette, Indiana. It was recommended the Board approve an overnight field trip for Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School FFA Chapter to Lafayette, Indiana to participate in the 2012 Indiana State FFA Convention from June 18, 2012 through June 20, 2012. (See Attached) Bill Bond made a motion to approve the field trip as requested. Matt Miller seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
12. Overnight Field Trip for Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School FFA to Trafalgar, Indiana Receives Board Approval. It was recommended the Board approve an overnight field trip for Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School FFA Chapter to Trafalgar, Indiana to attend a leadership camp from July 9, 2012 through July 12, 2012. (See Attached) Matt Miller made a motion to approve the field trip as requested. Eric Moody seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
13. Board Approves Monetary Donation. Superintendent Sichting told board members a monetary donation had been made to Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School FFA in the amount of $200.00 from White River Valley Co-op. (See Attached) Mr. Sichting recommended acceptance of the donation in compliance with Board Policy #9510. Eric Moody made a motion to accept the donation. Bill Bond seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote. Mr. Sichting thanked White River Valley Co-op for their generous donation.
14. Board Approves Monetary Donation to Athletic Department. Superintendent Sichting recommended acceptance of two donations from Utilities District of Western Indiana REMC made to Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School Extra-Curricular Funds (See Attached):
- $6,571 toward the purchase of the baseball scoreboard
- $500 toward the purchase of tickets for the 2012 Girl’s Basketball Sectional
Mr. Sichting reminded board members that all donations have to be approved by the Board in compliance with Board Policy #9510. Sandy May made a motion to accept the donation. Steve Dowden seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote. As with other contributions made by REMC, the Board expressed their gratitude for these donations.
15. Monetary Donation Made to Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School Speech Team Approved. Superintendent Sichting told board members a monetary donation had been made to Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School Speech Team in the amount of $200.00 from Blue Sky Engineering owned by Mrs. Angie Martin. (See Attached) Mr. Sichting recommended acceptance of the donation in compliance with Board Policy #9510. Matt Miller made a motion to accept the donation. Sandy May seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote. Mr. Sichting thanked Mrs. Martin for her generous donation, which helped fund the Speech Teams participation and travel to the speech sectional and state competitions.
16. Board Approves Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School Post Prom Activity. It was recommended the Bloomfield School District Board of School Trustees approve the 2011-2012 Bloomfield School District Post Prom activity as a Bloomfield School District activity. Mr. Sichting said the Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School Post Prom would be held on Saturday, April 14, 2012 at the Graber Post Buildings Community Center. (See Attached) Steve Dowden moved to approve the recommendation. Sandy May seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
17. Administrative Guideline Presented to Board. The following Administrative Guideline was presented to Bloomfield School District Board of School Trustees and will go into effect after its review (See Attached):
- 2210-Test Security for ISTEP+, IMAST, and LAS LINKS
Superintendent Sichting asked for any needed changes board members noticed with the proposed Guideline. No comments were made in regards to the proposed guideline. Steve Dowden made a motion to approve the guideline as presented. Bill Bond seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
18. Local Special Education Determinations for FFY 2009 (09-10). Bloomfield School District received notification from the Indiana Department of Education on February 29, 2012 on Bloomfield School District’s determination on Bloomfield School District’s implementation of the requirements and provisions of IDEA 2004 outlined in 34 CFRS. Bloomfield School District was found to meet all requirements. (See Attached)
19. Board Hears Update on the Impact of House Enrolled Act 1376 on Full Day Kindergarten Funding. Superintendent Sichting explained that House Enrolled Act 1376, Fiscal Matters, was passed during the 2012 legislative session and that one of the components of the bill was funding for Full Day Kindergarten. Hs said this provides funding for each student at $2,400 for the 2012-2013 school year only. Mr. Sichting said that the average number of Kindergarten students at Bloomfield Elementary is seventy-four. Seventy-four students enrolled in Full Day Kindergarten would generate enough money to hire the personnel needed to offer Full Day Kindergarten. He said legislators have stated that they intend to continue funding Full Day Kindergarten in the future, as well, but that is not a guarantee. Mr. Sichting said he would be recommending approval of offering Full Day Kindergarten for the 2012-2013 school year, contingent on enrollment.
20. BSD 2010 Indiana College Readiness Report. The Indiana Department of Education recently released the results of the 2010 Indiana College Readiness Report. (See Attached) One of the metrics of the new A-F grading system for schools is college and career readiness. The report traced the enrollment of the class of 2010 in public college or universities in Indiana. A measure of college readiness is whether students need to enroll in college remediation classes upon enrollment. Superintendent Sichting updated the Board concerning the 2010 Indiana College Readiness Report. He explained that the score for College Readiness would be determined by the number of students from a school corporation that attends a University in Indiana that does not need remediation. Mr. Sichting provided board members with Indiana College Readiness Reports for all Greene County schools for their comparisons. He said he was happy to report that Bloomfield had more 2010 graduates going to college than any other County school. Mr. Sichting said that there were fifty-five graduates going to college and thirty-six did not need remediation.
21. Bloomfield Schools Acuity Predictive Testing Results. Superintendent Sichting explained that three times each year Acuity tests are administered to Bloomfield students. He said test results provide teachers with a roadmap to determine students who are not making adequate progress toward successfully mastering grade level academic standards in English/Language Arts and math. Ms. Vandeventer and Mr. Dean updated the board on Acuity Predictive testing results. Mr. Sichting stated that he would like to see in the future the number of students that were tested last year compared to the number tested this year.
22. Adjournment. There being no further business Eric Moody moved to adjourn. Steve Dowden seconded the motion. The meeting was then adjourned by a 7-0 vote.
BLOOMFIELD SCHOOL DISTRICT – BOARD OF SCHOOL TRUSTEES
Attest: Secretary Superintendent of Schools