MINUTES OF REGULAR MEETING OF SCHOOL BOARD
OF BLOOMFIELD SCHOOL DISTRICT
September 18, 2003
The Board of School Trustees of the Bloomfield School District, of Greene County, Indiana, met in regular session on September 18, 2003, at 7:00 p.m. in the junior high school conference room in Bloomfield School District, 501 West Spring Street, Bloomfield, Indiana. The following school board members were present: Peggi Blakley, Randall Burcham, Nancy Canty, Steve Dowden, Keith Hanauer, Marvin Helms, and Richard Richeson. President Hanauer called the meeting to order at approximately 7:00 p.m. The following order of business was transacted with the President presiding:
1. Recognitions. NJROTC instructor Clayton Ostergren told the Board that Shanna Hayes had been selected to attend the training conference in Washington, D. C. at the end of October. He said this was quite an honor and she would be receiving excellent military training at that conference. Mr. Ostergren said he would have a complete packet including more information on Miss Hayes’s trip for the Board at its next meeting. Randall Burcham announced that the boy’s tennis team were SWIAC winners recently. Marvin Helms said the cross-country teams had also been doing very well. He said that Abby Gilliland had broken a school record and then broke her own school record.
2. Approval of Minutes. The Board had been provided with minutes of the executive session and regular school board meetings both held on July 24, 2003, executive session and special meeting both held on August 14, 2003, and the special meeting held on September 4, 2003, which had been prepared by corporation recording secretary Kelli Vandeventer. Randall Burcham made a motion to approve the minutes as presented. Marvin Helms seconded the motion. The minutes were approved by a 7-0 vote.
3. Treasurer’s Report. The Board had been provided with the Treasurer’s Report, prepared by corporation treasurer Sue Pritts, consisting of the Appropriation Report and Claims Listing Report. Upon motion duly made by Steve Dowden and seconded by Richard Richeson, the Board by a 7-0 vote approved the Treasurer’s Report.
4. 2004 Budget Adopted. The Board had been provided with the 2004 Budget for General Fund, Debt Service Fund, Capital Projects Fund, Transportation Fund, Bus Replacement Fund, Special Education Pre-school Fund, Capital Projects Plan, and School Bus Replacement Plan. The Budget had been published in accordance with the law and a public hearing on the Budget was held on September 4, 2003 with no public comments being made. Richard Richeson made a motion to adopt the 2004 Budget for General Fund, Debt Service Fund, Capital Projects Fund, Transportation Fund, Bus Replacement Fund, Special Education Pre-school Fund, Capital Projects Plan, and School Bus Replacement Plan as provided. Peggi Blakley seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
5. Resolution to File Excessive Levy Appeal Adopted. The superintendent recommended that the Board adopt a resolution to file an Excessive Levy Appeal to recover the lost funding from the KPT bankruptcy. (See attached) He explained that IC 6-1.1-19-5.4 authorizes the governing body of a school corporation to adopt a resolution to file an Excessive Levy Appeal for a Property Tax Levy Shortfall. The Corporation may appeal to the Department of Local Government Finance for approval of this appeal before September 20, 2003. Mr. Hasler said that the appeal is for General Fund and Transportation Fund shortfalls for 2001, 2002, and 2003 and has a total shortfall amount of $116,751. Nancy Canty made a motion to adopt a resolution to file an Excessive Levy Appeal per Mr. Hasler’s recommendation. Steve Dowden seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
6. Energy Management Performance Report Heard. The Board received a performance report from Johnson Controls, Inc. for the period of May 2003 through June 2003. (See attached) Mr. Hasler told them that so far the Bloomfield School District had exceeded the original savings goal by 30.7%.
7. Instrumental Music Teacher/Band Director Hired. Superintendent Hasler recommended that the Board employ Mr. Jeffrey Rocky as an instrumental music teacher/band director for the Bloomfield School District. He explained that this would be a 0.5 teaching position and an ECA position (Music: Band Director) and would have an effective date of August 12, 2003. Richard Richeson made a motion to hire Mr. Rocky per Mr. Hasler’s recommendation. Peggi Blakley seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
8. Teacher Resignation Announced. Superintendent Hasler informed the Board that Mrs. Nancy Bradley had resigned her position as Social Worker effective September 26, 2003. He said that this position is a C.A.P.E. funded position and will be posted. Superintendent Hasler said that Mrs. Bradley had done a fine job for the district and had taken a job closer to her Monroe County home.
9. NJROTC Field Trip Approved. It was recommended that the Board approve Naval Science Instructor Ostergren’s request for an overnight trip to Key West Naval Air Station this November 18th through 25th. (See attached) Mr. Hasler told the Board that NJROTC has arranged for transportation and partial costs. The students will be responsible for $150 of the costs and Crane will be supplying the transportation to and from the airport. Randall Burcham made a motion to approve the NJROTC field trip as requested. Nancy Canty seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
10. Use of Facilities for Apple Festival Approved. The superintendent asked the Board to approve a request from the Apple Festival Committee to use the parking lots for amusement rides and parking during the Apple Festival and parade, October 2, 3, 4, and 5, 2003. He said that the amusement rides and vendors will begin setting up at 3:30 on October 2nd. During the festival the lower gravel lot (along the highway) will be used for handicapped parking. The two student parking lots (between the tennis courts and the baseball diamond) will be used for amusement rides. The remaining parking lots will be used for vendor parking and visitors to the festival. Bloomfield ECA groups will be in charge of parking and will utilize this opportunity for fundraising. Marvin Helms made a motion to approve the request. Richard Richeson seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
11. Regular Board Meeting Date Changed. Superintendent Hasler told the Board that the next regular board meeting was scheduled for October 23, 2003, which is during fall break. He asked if anyone objected to changing the date to hold the meeting to October 16, 2003. There being no opposition October 16, 2003 will be the next regular school board meeting.
12. Collective Bargaining Update. Superintendent Hasler read a prepared statement concerning collective bargaining. (See attached)
13. Adjournment. There being no further business, Nancy Canty made a motion to adjourn. Peggi Blakley seconded the motion. The meeting was then adjourned by a 7-0 vote.