MINUTES OF REGULAR MEETING OF SCHOOL BOARD
OF BLOOMFIELD SCHOOL DISTRICT
February 26, 2004
The Board of School Trustees of the Bloomfield School District, of Greene County, Indiana, met in regular session on February 26, 2004, at 7:00 p.m. in the junior high school conference room in Bloomfield School District, 501 West Spring Street, Bloomfield, Indiana. The following school board members were present: Peggi Blakley, Randall Burcham, Nancy Canty, Keith Hanauer, Marvin Helms and Richard Richeson. Steve Dowden was absent. President Hanauer called the meeting to order at approximately 7:00 p.m. The following order of business was transacted with the President presiding:
1. Recognitions. Ron Hasler recognized freshman student Jessica Toon for her 1st place entry in the Black History essay contest. He also commended Jessica’s English teacher, Chris Mattox, for making sure she had the opportunity to participate in this project. Mr. Hasler shared some ISTEP+ information with the Board. He said Bloomfield met annual yearly progress and that scores are improving. Jr/sr high school principal Stella Royal stated that the NJROTC inspection went very well and commended the students as well as instructors Tippery and Ostergren. Mr. Hasler also announced that there would be a program to honor the 152nd infantry on Friday at 2:15 p.m. in the Glover Gym.
2. Approval of Minutes. The Board had been provided with minutes of the special school board meeting, executive session and regular school board meeting all held on January 22, 2004, and the executive session held on January 29, 2004, which had been prepared by corporation recording secretary Kelli Vandeventer. Nancy Canty moved to approve the minutes as presented. Peggi Blakley seconded the motion. The minutes were approved by a 5-0-1 vote. Mr. Richeson abstained from voting because he was not in attendance at those meetings.
3. Treasurer’s Report. The Board had been provided with the Treasurer’s Report, prepared by corporation treasurer Sue Pritts, consisting of the Appropriation Report and Claims Listing Report. Upon motion duly made by Richard Richeson and seconded by Randall Burcham, the Board by a 6-0 vote approved the Treasurer’s Report.
4. Board Grants Authority to Extend a Deferral for a Temporary Operating Loan. It was recommended that the Board authorize the extension of a deferral until March 30, 2004 on a temporary operating loan with First Farmers State Bank of Sullivan. (See attached) Superintendent Hasler explained that due to delays in tuition support payments to the General Fund from the state, delays in the county tax reassessment, and further delays in other monies coming from the state, the school district would not be able to repay this temporary operating loan in a timely manner. The original rate of interest (1.94%) will remain the same during this deferral period. Nancy Canty moved to authorize the extension of a deferral until March 30, 2004 on the temporary operating loan with First Farmers State Bank of Sullivan. Randall Burcham seconded the motion. Superintendent Hasler explained that he had dated the original deferral March 1, 2004, when the actual date was supposed to be March 30, 2004. He said this Board action would correct the date on the deferral. The Board passed the motion by a 6-0 vote.
5. Energy Management Performance Report Heard. The Board received a performance report from Johnson Controls, Inc. for the period of May 2003 through December 2003. (See attached) Mr. Hasler said that the report covers the first eight months of year nine (9) of our original ten (10) year energy management contract. He said that during the period above a net cost avoidance of $18,257 was realized by the school district. He told them that so far the Bloomfield School District had exceeded the original savings goal by 32.9%.
6. Cafeteria Worker Resigns. Tabatha Hill, Cafeteria Worker II, submitted her letter of resignation effective February 20, 2004. Marvin Helms moved to accept Ms. Hill’s resignation. Peggi Blakley seconded the motion, which was approved by a 6-0 vote. Randall Burcham moved to allow the administration to fill the Cafeteria II vacancy created by Ms. Hill’s resignation. Marvin Helms seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
7. NJROTC Field Trips Approved. Board members received a list of five NJROTC requested overnight fieldtrips from March 12 through June 26. (See attached) Superintendent’s Hasler told the Board that the NJROTC program would arrange for transportation and costs. Mr. Hasler recommended approval of these fieldtrips. Nancy Canty moved to approve the trips as requested. Marvin Helms seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
8. Business Professionals of America (BPA) Overnight Trip to State Conference Approved. Superintendent Hasler told the Board that Business Professionals of America (BPA) sponsor Nancy Hudson had requested approval for an overnight trip from February 29 through March 2 to attend and participate in the state conference for the BPA. He said that the BPA program would arrange for transportation and costs. Marvin Helms moved to approve the BPA trip as requested. Nancy Canty seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
9. Board Policy Second Reading and Adoption Held. Second reading was held on two (2) school board policies. Policy #3140, Termination and Resignation, and policy #4140, Resignation, were presented to the Board for second reading and adoption consideration. (See attached) Randall Burcham moved to approve policy #3140 Termination & Resignation as presented. Marvin Helms seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote. Richard Richeson moved to approve policy #4140 Resignation as presented. Peggi Blakley seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
10. Bloomfield-Eastern Greene County Public Library Board Appointment Made. Carolyn Konnert who is the director of the public library sent a letter to the Board which stated that one of the school appointed members of the library board, Sandra Clark, had resigned her position on the board. (See attached) Ms. Konnert recommended naming Patricia DeNa’e Seymour to fill the rest of Mrs. Clark’s term, which would end in January of 2007. Randall Burcham moved to appoint Patricia DeNa’e Seymour to complete Mrs. Clark’s term on the Bloomfield-Eastern Greene County Public Library Board, which would end in January 2007. Nancy Canty seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote. Mr. Burcham said he had been utilizing the public library recently and felt that Bloomfield is lucky to have such a high quality library for its use.
11. Board Enters Into Facility Use Agreement with the Greene County Health Department. Superintendent Hasler told the Board that the Greene County Health Department is looking for a facility in the eastern half of the county to serve the needs of county residents in that area in the event of an act of terrorism. He said this is a local response to the Homeland Security initiative. He recommended that the Board enter into an agreement with the Greene County Health Department to use the school facilities and authorize the administration to sign the same. (See attached) Richard Richeson moved to approve the recommendation. Marvin Helms seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
12. Contract with Channel One TV Terminated. Superintendent Hasler told the Board that the Channel One TV equipment is outdated and the programming is no longer serving our needs. He said that most teachers surveyed expressed interest in terminating the program. The contract is automatically renewed every three years for a three-year term, so if it is not terminated by March 1, 2004, it will renew for an additional three-year term. Mr. Hasler recommended terminating the Channel One TV contract. Peggi Blakley moved to accept the recommendation. Randall Burcham seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
13. Amendment to Health Insurance Plan Approved. Superintendent Hasler recommended that the Board approve Amendment 7 to the Specific Plan Description (SPD) for the district’s Support Staff/Administrators’ health insurance plan. (See attached) He said that this amendment allows the Support Staff and Administrators who are on the district’s health insurance plan to utilize mail order prescription benefits. Marvin Helms moved to approve the amendment. Richard Richeson seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
14. Update on Elementary Roofing Project Heard. Superintendent Hasler told the Board that Mr. John Dorrer of STR Building Resources LLC had completed the bid specifications for the upper elementary wing and kitchen roofing projects for this summer. A required meeting to establish a Common Construction Wage was held January 30, 2004. Mr. Dorrer and Mr. Toon conducted a “walk through” with four interested, prospective bidders on February 16, 2004 and the project bid opening is scheduled for March 3, 2004, at 1:00 p.m.
15. Approval of Three-Year Technology Plan Received. The school received notification from the Indiana Department of Education, Center of School Improvement and Performance that the three-year Technology Plan for Bloomfield School District had been approved. (See attached)
16. Collective Bargaining Update. Superintendent Hasler read a prepared Collective Bargaining Update to the Board and public. (See attached)
17. Adjournment. There being no further business, Marvin Helms moved to adjourn. Peggi Blakley seconded the motion. The meeting was then adjourned by a 6-0 vote.