MINUTES OF REGULAR MEETING OF SCHOOL BOARD
OF BLOOMFIELD SCHOOL DISTRICT
February 22, 2007
The Board of School Trustees of the Bloomfield School District, of Greene County, Indiana, met in regular session on February 22, 2007, in the jr/sr high school conference room in Bloomfield Junior/Senior High School, 501 West Spring Street, Bloomfield, Indiana. The following school board members were present: Steve Dowden, Doug Frye, Keith Hanauer, Marvin Helms, Robert Kirk, Sandra Parkes May and Eric Moody. President Dowden called the meeting to order at approximately 7:13 p.m. The following order of business was transacted with the President presiding:
1. Recognitions. Mr. Parsley announced the start of FFA week and invited board members to the FFA breakfast on Friday, February 23rd. He also shared that the Speech team took 10th place recently at the meet held at Bloomfield Schools. Athletic Director Andy Ross recognized the Bloomfield Girl’s Basketball team for their sectional win. Mr. Ross also invited everyone to attend the basketball game on Friday night, which would be senior night. He also recognized girl’s basketball coach Mr. Jim Rose for being named Indiana Basketball Coaches Association District 3 Coach of the Year by his peers and said what an honor that was for Mr. Rose and for the school. Mr. Ross also announced that Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School was winner of a Sportsmanship Award by the Indiana High School Athletic Association for the 2005-2006 school year. Bob Kirk recognized the outstanding job the NJROTC students did recently at the Annual Inspection.
2. Approval of Minutes. The Board had been provided with minutes of the executive session, regular school board meeting, and special meeting of the Board of Finance all held on January 25, 2007, which had been prepared by corporation recording secretary Kelli Vandeventer. Keith Hanauer moved to approve the minutes as presented. Marvin Helms seconded the motion. The minutes were approved by a 7-0 vote.
3. Treasurer’s Report. The Board had been provided with the Treasurer’s Report, prepared by corporation treasurer Sue Pritts, consisting of the Appropriation Report and Claims Listing Report. Upon motion duly made by Robert Kirk and seconded by Eric Moody, the Board by a 7-0 vote approved the Treasurer’s Report.
4. Board Hears Progress of 2007 Budget Order. Superintendent Sichting told the Board that during a recent phone conversation with the Department of Local Government Finance Field Representative he had learned that due to delays in certifying property assessment values in Greene County the 1782 Notice Notes Report for Budget pay 2007 would be delayed. He said that as a result, the certification of tax rates could be delayed by approximately four weeks, which means that school districts in Greene County could see a delay in the budget order of four-six weeks. Mr. Sichting said he would continue to monitor the delay in certification of tax rates and issuing the budget order for the 2007 budget year. H said that if the delay continues, Bloomfield School District would seek Tax Anticipation Warrants to maintain adequate cash balances.
5. Elementary Teacher Approved For Maternity Leave. It was recommended that the Board approve a maternity leave for Jenny Medina, sixth grade math teacher at Bloomfield Elementary, beginning approximately April 2, 2007 and ending at the beginning of the 2007-2008 school year. Marvin Helms moved to approve the maternity leave as recommended. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
6. Elementary Teacher Approved for Maternity Leave. Superintendent Sichting recommended that the Board approve a maternity leave for Sally Neill, who is a second grade teacher at Bloomfield Elementary, beginning approximately April 13, 2007 and ending at the beginning of the 2007-2008 school year. Marvin Helms moved to approve the leave. Robert Kirk seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
7. Elementary School Teacher Retirement Announced. It was recommended that the Board approve the retirement of Mrs. Eva Willis, sixth grade teacher at Bloomfield Elementary School. Mrs. Willis’ retirement would be effective on or about May 24, 2007. President Dowden said that Mrs. Willis had been employed in the Bloomfield School District for thirty-one (31) years and thanked her for her years of service to the district. Eric Moody moved to approve Mrs. Willis’ retirement. Doug Frye seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
8. Elementary School Teacher Retirement Announced. It was recommended that the Board approve the retirement of Mr. Michael Riddle, sixth grade teacher at Bloomfield Elementary School effective on March 16, 2007. President Dowden said that Mr. Riddle had been employed in the Bloomfield School District for a total of thirty-three (33) years. Keith Hanauer moved to approve the retirement of Mr. Michael Riddle. Marvin Helms seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
9. Administrative Regulation Reviewed. The Board was informed of one (1) Administrative
Regulation. The regulation shared with the Board was #5360 RECESS GUIDELINES FOR HARSH
WEATHER. (See attached) No Board action is required on Administrative Regulations.
10. Board Policy First Reading Held. First reading was held on one (1) school board policy. #5410, Promotion, Placement, and Retention was presented to the Board for first reading. (See attached) This policy will be brought back to a later meeting for approval.
11. Board Hears Update on Insurance Committee. Superintendent Sichting gave an update on the progress and discussions associated with the Insurance Committee. He said the committee was scheduled to meet again on Wednesday, February 28, 2007, at 3:10 p.m. Mr. Sichting said that he had received two billings from Dunn and Associates during the month of February and shared that the claims were very minimal, which hopefully will result in a “hold” or a decrease in premium renewal.
12. Board Hears Update on Facility Feasibility Steering Committee Process. Superintendent Sichting told the Board that the committee met on February 20th and some members present suggested that he put some figures together that would show the approximate cost of building a new elementary building as well as costs of making the proposed renovations. Mr. Sichting said he would be putting together some figures for the committee’s next meeting and making a report for the Board.
13. Bargaining Process Initiated By Bloomfield Teachers Association. Superintendent Sichting shared some correspondence received from Chris Mattox, President of the Bloomfield Teachers Association, requesting that the Board initiate the bargaining process for a successor agreement. Mr. Mattox also requested a list of materials that the Association bargaining team would need. Mr. Sichting told the Board that the teacher’s association spokesperson would be Rochell Bechtel who is the UniServ Director for our area. He said that the process would be slowed by the delay in receiving a budget order from the Indiana Department of Local Government Finance. Mr. Sichting said he thought bargaining would not begin until at least June.
14. Update on Voluntary Civil Rights Compliance Plan. Superintendent Sichting told the Board that the Voluntary Civil Rights Compliance Plan to address deficiencies identified in Bloomfield School District Facilities was resubmitted to the Indiana Department of Education on January 26, 2007. He said that the Indiana Department of Education had reviewed and accepted the plan and that a Quality Improvement Report is due on or before May 15, 2007. He continued that if all corrective steps cannot be addressed by May 15, 2007 a report will be filed every ninety (90) days until all the corrective action has been taken on all identified issues.
15. Adjournment. There being no further business Marvin Helms moved to adjourn. Robert Kirk seconded the motion. The meeting was then adjourned by a 7-0 vote.