MINUTES OF REGULAR MEETING OF SCHOOL BOARD
OF BLOOMFIELD SCHOOL DISTRICT
September 28, 2006
The Board of School Trustees of the Bloomfield School District, of Greene County, Indiana, met in regular session on September 28, 2006, in the jr/sr high school conference room in Bloomfield Junior/Senior High School, 501 West Spring Street, Bloomfield, Indiana. The following school board members were present: Steve Dowden, Doug Frye, Keith Hanauer, Marvin Helms, Robert Kirk, Sandra Parkes May and Eric Moody. President Dowden called the meeting to order at approximately 7:00 p.m. The following order of business was transacted with the President presiding:
1. Recognitions. Jr/Sr High School principal Greg Parsley introduced student council member Alex Cochrane. Mr. Parsley said that the new High School Student Council sponsor is Mrs. Angela Brown and Mrs. Brown is requiring members to attend school board meetings. Mr. Parsley stated that last week was ISTEP testing time and thanked all teachers for their efforts during that very stressful week. Elementary principal Mary Jane Vandeventer invited everyone to attend the PTO carnival on September 29th from 6:00 p.m. until 8 p.m. Superintendent Sichting praised Bloomfield school bus driver Jonas Johnson for his good actions taken recently when his bus was hit from behind by another vehicle. He said Mr. Johnson evacuated the students from the bus and proceeded to use the fire extinguisher kept in the bus to put out a fire that started at the other vehicle due to the accident. Mr. Sichting also recognized Mrs. Royal, Mrs. Vandeventer and Mr. Ross for their efforts during the bus accident. He said they handled students once they were brought to the school and turned what could have been a very upsetting day into a regular school day for those students. The Superintendent also announced that on October 3rd Bloomfield would be the site of the annual Regional Choral Festivals and read an invitation from Mrs. Jerrels to all who could attend the evening performance.
2. Approval of Minutes. The Board had been provided with minutes of the regular school board meeting held on August 29, 2006, and the special meeting held on September 14, 2006, which had been prepared by corporation recording secretary Kelli Vandeventer. Robert Kirk moved to approve the minutes as presented. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion. The minutes were approved by a 7-0 vote.
3. Treasurer’s Report. The Board had been provided with the Treasurer’s Report, prepared by corporation treasurer Sue Pritts, consisting of the Appropriation Report and Claims Listing Report. Upon motion duly made by Eric Moody and seconded by Marvin Helms, the Board by a 7-0 vote approved the Treasurer’s Report.
4. Neutrality Resolution for Pension Debt Adopted. Superintendent Sichting told the Board that Indiana law allows school corporations to sell bonds to reduce or eliminate unfunded retirement liabilities to employees. He said that the funds to repay these bonds must be revenue neutral and that no additional tax levy can be created to repay these bonds. Mr. Sichting recommended the Board adopt a Neutrality Resolution for Pension Debt. (See Attached) He said that this resolution states that the corporation will repay these bonds by reducing the Capital Projects Fund levy by an amount equal to the cost of the bond repayment for 2007. Keith Hanauer moved to approve the recommendation. Marvin Helms seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
5. 2007-2013 Transportation Contracts Awarded. Superintendent Sichting recommended that the Board approve the attached list of bidders for the 2007-2013 transportation contracts. (See Attached) Eric Moody moved to approve the recommendation. Robert Kirk seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
6. Board Votes “Yes” to Feasibility Study. It was recommended that the Board authorize Performance Services to conduct a feasibility study for the purpose of renovating current mechanical operating systems utilized within facilities of the Bloomfield School District. (See Attached) Mr. Sichting explained that the Board has engaged in long-term planning activities and is interested in collecting information in the projected costs of addressing issues within the mechanical operating systems of the Bloomfield School District. He said that as a result, the Board interviewed three firms to engage in the process of completing a feasibility study to address these issues. Eric Moody moved to approve the recommendation. Robert Kirk seconded the motion. Mr. Moody explained that the recommendation was to allow Performance Services to conduct a feasibility study only. The motion passed by a 4-3 vote. Doug Frye, Marvin Helms, and Keith Hanauer cast the nay votes.
7. Outcomes, Goals, and Guidelines for Public Steering Committee Adopted. It was recommended that the Board adopt the following outcomes, goals, and guidelines to provide direction to the steering committee for the public participation piece in facilitating community involvement in the feasibility study. (See Attached) The steering committee would address issues with the mechanical operating systems of the Bloomfield School District. Sandy May moved to approve the recommendation. Eric Moody seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-1 vote. Doug Frye cast the nay vote.
8. Board Fills Cafeteria Positions. Cafeteria supervisor, Jana McIntosh, asked the Board to hire Ginger Urban and Marie Hasler to fill two vacant Cafeteria II positions, effective October 2, 2006. Superintendent Sichting included his approval of the recommendation. Marvin Helms moved to approve the recommendation. Sandy May seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
9. 2006-2007 ECA Recommendations Approved. Board members were provided with a list of ECA recommendations for the 2006-2007 school year. (See attached) Keith Hanauer moved to approve the entire list as provided. Marvin Helms seconded the motion. The motion was approved by a 6-0-1 vote. Eric Moody abstained from voting because he was recommended for one of the positions on the list.
10. Elementary Instructional Assistant Resigns. Mrs. Jan Yake submitted her letter of resignation as the Bloomfield Elementary School Instructional Library Assistant effective September 22, 2006. Superintendent Sichting recommended acceptance. Marvin Helms moved to accept Mrs. Yake’s resignation. Doug Frye seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote. The Board thanked Mrs. Yake for her service to the district.
11. Kindergarten Teacher Resigns. Mrs. Shannon Dean submitted her letter of resignation as a teacher at Bloomfield Elementary effective October 6, 2006. Eric Moody moved to accept Mrs. Dean’s resignation. Robert Kirk seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
12. Title I Instructional Aide Hired. It was recommended that the Board approve Laura Kay Watkins Rose for the instructional assistant position for the Title I Program at Bloomfield Elementary School, effective August 15, 2006. Sandy May moved to approve the recommendation. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
13. Resignation of Long-Term Substitute Teacher Accepted. It was recommended that the Board accept the resignation of Rex Kirchoff as the long-term substitute in math created by a maternity leave. Mr. Kirchoff was not able to fulfill the duties of this substitute position due to personal reasons. Doug Frye moved to accept Mr. Kirchoff’s resignation. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
14. Overnight Field Trip for Bloomfield Student Leadership Academy Approved. Superintendent Sichting recommended approval of Ms. Street’s request for an overnight field trip involving members of the Bloomfield High School Student Leadership Academy to attend an overnight leadership camp on November 2, 2006, and November 3, 2006 in Nashville, IN. (See Attached) Marvin Helms moved to approve the recommendation. Doug Frye seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
15. Overnight Field Trip for Bloomfield Jr. High School Student Council Approved. It was recommended that the Board approve an overnight field trip by members of the Bloomfield Jr. High School Student Council to Nashville, IN on November 1, 2006 and November 2, 2006. (See Attached) Eric Moody moved to approve the field trip. Robert Kirk seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
16. Report of 2006-2007 ADM Count. Superintendent Sichting reported on the Average Daily Membership (ADM) for the 2006-2007 school year. (See attached) He said the ADM for this year is 1,087.5 students compared to 1,081.5 last year.
17. Authority Granted to Sign Letter of Authority to Greene County FSA Office. It was recommended that the Board authorize Mr. Dan Sichting to sign Farm Service Agency documents for the Bloomfield School District. Eric Moody moved to approve the recommendation. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion. Mr. Sichting explained that after the Board gives him authority then he could sign a power of attorney allowing Ben Helms to sign those documents. The motion passed by a 7-0 vote.
18. Board Receives Information on School Improvement Strategies at Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School. Mr. Greg Parsley and Mr. Chris Mattox presented information on the strategies being used at Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School in improving student achievement. The Board thanked them for their presentation. Superintendent Sichting praised the efforts of the teachers, administration, faculty, students, and parents in working to achieve student success.
19. Adjournment. There being no further business Marvin Helms moved to adjourn. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion. The meeting was then adjourned by a 7-0 vote.