MINUTES OF REGULAR MEETING OF SCHOOL BOARD
OF BLOOMFIELD SCHOOL DISTRICT
November 28, 2006
The Board of School Trustees of the Bloomfield School District, of Greene County, Indiana, met in regular session on November 28, 2006, in the jr/sr high school conference room in Bloomfield Junior/Senior High School, 501 West Spring Street, Bloomfield, Indiana. The following school board members were present: Steve Dowden, Doug Frye, Keith Hanauer, Marvin Helms, Robert Kirk, Sandra Parkes May and Eric Moody. President Dowden called the meeting to order at approximately 7:00 p.m. The following order of business was transacted with the President presiding:
1. Recognitions. Superintendent Sichting shared that Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School was named a Best Buy School and an Honor Roll School by the Indiana Chamber of Commerce recently. Mr. Parsley announced that the jr/sr high school graduation rate for Bloomfield was 94%. He attributed this successful rate to Bloomfield staff members. Mr. Parsley also recognized high school art teacher Deb Johnson for being named as a semi finalist for Indiana Teacher of the Year recently. He recognized jr/sr high school business teacher Susie Slinkard as November Bloomfield Faculty Teacher of the Month. Mr. Parsley recognized students and staff who took part or worked behind the scene to make the school play successful. More news from Mr. Parsley included the recent Veterans Day program, the upcoming NJROTC Christmas Ball and the school choral/band Christmas program.
2. Approval of Minutes. The Board had been provided with minutes of the regular school board meeting held on October 26, 2006, which had been prepared by corporation recording secretary Kelli Vandeventer. Robert Kirk moved to approve the minutes of the October 26, 2006 meeting, as presented. Doug Frye seconded the motion. The minutes were approved by a 6-0-1 vote. Keith Hanauer abstained from voting because he was not in attendance at that meeting. The Board then voted on the minutes of the special meeting of the Board held on November 2, 2006. Doug Frye moved to approve the minutes, which had been prepared by corporation recording secretary Kelli Vandeventer, as present. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion, which passed by a 4-0-3 vote. Steve Dowden, Sandy May, and Eric Moody abstained from voting on these minutes because they did not attend the meeting.
3. Treasurer’s Report. The Board had been provided with the Treasurer’s Report, prepared by corporation treasurer Sue Pritts, consisting of the Appropriation Report and Claims Listing Report. Upon motion duly made by Keith Hanauer and seconded by Robert Kirk, the Board by a 7-0 vote approved the Treasurer’s Report.
4. Board Hears Information on Summer School Reimbursement. Superintendent Sichting shared information he had recently received from the Indiana Department of Education announcing that school districts within the state of Indiana would receive reimbursement for eligible summer school expenses by November 16, 2006. (See Attached)
5. Advance Property Tax Draw Requested. Superintendent Sichting told the Board that he had submitted a request to the Treasurer of Greene County for an advance property tax draw as allowed by state law. He explained that this draw would allow the district to receive reimbursement and pay obligations adverting short-term loans and interest payments passed on to local taxpayers. (See Attached)
6. Transfer of Appropriations Resolution Approved. It was recommended that the Board of School Trustees approve a resolution concerning the transfer of appropriations for the 2006 budget. (See Attached) The superintendent said that approval of this resolution would allow the school district Treasurer to close out the 2006 budget. Since the Board approved the original budget allocations and appropriations, its approval is also required to make additional changes. Marvin Helms moved to approve the resolution as recommended. Robert Kirk seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
7. 2003-2007 Transportation Contract Awarded. Superintendent Sichting recommended that the Board approve the only bid received of $152.95 from Patty Vest for the remainder of the 2003-2007 transportation contracts for route #7. He said that this contract would begin on November 29, 2006 and expire on June 30, 2007. Mr. Sichting explained that the transportation contract was originally awarded on September 12, 2002 to Bill Vest. He said that transportation contracts are personal service contracts as defined by Indiana statue. With Mr. Vest’s recent untimely death his bus contract became “null and void”. The Superintendent informed the Board that the contract was properly advertised on November 8, 2006 and that a pre-bid meeting had been held on November 15, 2006 with bids being accepted on November 22, 2006. Eric Moody moved to accept the recommendation. Marvin Helms seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
8. 2007-2013 Transportation Contract Rejected. Superintendent Sichting recommended that the Board reject the only bid received for route #1 of the 2007-2013 transportation contract. He explained that the route would remain open at this time and he would be authorized to negotiate with the interested bidder for this route. Mr. Sichting explained that bus contracts are personal service contracts and that this contract became “null and void” with the untimely death of Bill Vest, a contracted bus driver for the Bloomfield School District. The Superintendent informed the Board that the contract was properly advertised on November 8, 2006 and that a pre-bid meeting had been held on November 15, 2006 with bids being accepted on November 22, 2006. Keith Hanauer moved to reject the proposed bid per Mr. Sichting’s recommendation. Eric Moody seconded the motion, which passed by a 5-0-2 vote. Marvin Helms and Sandy May abstained from voting.
9. Cafeteria II Worker’s Resignation Accepted. Cafeteria worker Mrs. Ginger Urban submitted her resignation as a cafeteria II employee effective October 31, 2006. Superintendent Sichting recommended that the Board accept this resignation. Robert Kirk moved to approve the recommendation. Doug Frye seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
10. Cafeteria II Worker Hired. Cafeteria Supervisor Jana McIntosh asked the Board to hire Beth Plummer, effective December 4, 2006, as a Cafeteria II worker to fill the position created by Mrs. Urban’s resignation. Marvin Helms moved to hire Mrs. Plummer. Eric Moody seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
11. Homebound Instructor Hired. It was recommended that the Board employ Miss Janet Shirley as a homebound instructor for a student who cannot attend regular school classes, effective November 13, 2006 and continuing until a subsequent school plan is adopted. Mr. Sichting stated that Miss Shirley would assume these additional duties up to 5 hours per week and that she would be compensated for the equivalent of what her regular teaching pay would be. Mr. Parsley made the recommendation and Mr. Sichting sanctioned the recommendation. Keith Hanauer moved to approve the recommendation. Marvin Helms seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
12. High School Teacher Retirement. It was recommended that the Board accept the retirement of Mr. Robert “Bob” Groves who teaches special education at Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School. Mr. Groves’ retirement will be effective on or about May 24, 2007. Mr. Parsley told the Board that Mr. Groves had been involved in education for thirty-five (35) years in the Bloomfield School District. Keith Hanauer moved to accept Mr. Groves’ retirement. Marvin Helms seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote. The Board thanked Mr. Groves for his service to the school and the Bloomfield students.
13. 2006-2007 ECA Recommendations Considered. Board members were provided with a list of ECA recommendations for the 2006-2007 school year. (See attached) Robert Kirk made a motion to vote on each ECA recommendation individually. Doug Frye seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote. Keith Hanauer moved to approve the hiring of Joe Medina as Boys’ 9th grade basketball coach. Marvin Helms seconded the motion. The motion was approved by a 5-2 vote. Doug Frye and Robert Kirk cast the nay votes. Keith Hanauer moved to approve the naming of Karen Wells as a Volunteer Jr. High Boy’s Basketball Trainer. Doug Frye seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
14. Post Prom Trip to Indianapolis Approved. Jr/sr high school principal Greg Parsley asked the Board to allow the Post Prom parents to hold post prom at Great Times in Indianapolis. Mr. Parsley explained that the group would leave from school at the conclusion of the prom and return to Bloomfield around 7:00 a.m. Superintendent Sichting recommended approval. Eric Moody moved to approve the request. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
15. Overnight Field Trip for Bloomfield Student Leadership Academy Approved. It was recommended that the Board approve an overnight field trip by members of the Bloomfield Student Leadership Academy to Spencer, IN on December 7, 2006 and December 8, 2006. (See Attached) Robert Kirk moved to approve the field trip. Sandy May seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
16. Waiver for Latchkey Program Approved. Superintendent Sichting said that IC 20-5-2-1.5 requires that all school corporations in the state make available a school age child-care program to all students in grades K-6 or request a waiver annually from the IDOE. He told the Board that the school had recently been notified by the Indiana Department of Education that the waiver that had been applied for by Bloomfield Schools had been approved. Mr. Sichting said the waiver was granted on the grounds of “financial hardship”. This was an information only item.
17. Information on Civil Rights Compliance Plan. Superintendent Sichting told the Board that on October 19, 2006, and October 20, 2006, a representative from the Indiana Department of Education, Office of Career and Technical Education visited Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School to facilitate an audit of the educational facilities, which focused on reviewing school facilities, programs, and policies to eliminate any discrimination and denial of services on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, and handicapped conditions. He said that on October 23, 2006, he received a letter from IDOE outlining violations involving policies and facilities, giving the district a sixty-day period to respond on those violations. Mr. Sichting said that a voluntary compliance plan had been created and would be submitted to the Office of Career and Technical Education in triplicate as outlined in the instructions by December 20, 2006. He continued that upon successful approval of the compliance plan, Bloomfield School District will have a ninety-day period to make all necessary policy or facility improvements and those that cannot be made within the ninety-day period must be reported to the IDOE every ninety days for three years. This was an information only item.
18. Bloomfield Elementary School English Curriculum Presentation. Elementary principal Mary Jane Vandeventer gave a very informative presentation on the English curriculum at Bloomfield Elementary.
19. Update on Insurance Committee. Superintendent Sichting told the Board that Mr. Doug Cassman, Educational Services representative, met with representatives of all employee groups on November 8, 2006. Mr. Frye was representing the Board at the meeting. Mr. Cassman outlined current trends in the rising cost of employee health insurance in the state of Indiana. He also introduced the Insurance Committee to trends in employee health insurance with school districts in the state of Indiana. Mr. Sichting said a second meeting is scheduled for December 6, 2006. This was an information only item.
20. Update on Feasibility Steering Committee. Superintendent Sichting gave those present an update on the Feasibility Steering Committee. He said that seventeen members of the committee met on Thursday, November 2, 2006 with representatives from Performance Services. Mr. Sichting added that one community member also attended the meeting. Committee members toured the problem areas of the facility identified earlier by the Board and received possible cost analysis from representatives of Performance Services. Mr. Sichting provided the committee with an analysis of current debt obligations. He announced that the next committee meeting was set for Tuesday, January 2, 2007, at 7:00 p.m. and invited interested community members to attend. The superintendent said he felt the meeting was a good one and said the committee would continue down the process that had begun. This was an information only item.
21. Board Policy Amendment Second Readings and Adoption Held. Second readings were held on amendments of two (2) school board policies. #1231 Nondiscrimination and Access to Equal Educational Opportunity, and #4401, Fringe Benefits for Support Staff were presented to the Board for seconded ready and adoption. (See attached) Eric Moody moved to approve the policies as presented. Robert Kirk seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
22. Board Policy Second Readings and Adoption Held. Second readings were held on two (2) school board policies. #4402, Family Medical Leaves of Absence, and #8432, Use of Automated External Defibrillators were presented to the Board for seconded ready and adoption. (See attached) Keith Hanauer moved to approve the policies as presented. Marvin Helms seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
23. Comments and Information From the Public. Bloomfield bus driver Jonas Johnson admitted that he made a mistake on his original bid and therefore the Board considered it too high for him to receive a route. But, he continued, on his new bid, which the Board had rejected earlier in this meeting, he felt that he had been fair in the way he had figured it and felt that he had “gotten slapped again”. President Dowden thanked Mr. Johnson for his comments.
24. Adjournment. There being no further business Keith Hanauer moved to adjourn. Robert Kirk seconded the motion. The meeting was then adjourned by a 7-0 vote.