|Written by Kelli Usrey|
|Monday, 25 February 2013 13:05|
MINUTES REGULAR MEETING OF SCHOOL BOARD
OF BLOOMFIELD SCHOOL DISTRICT
November 27, 2012
The Board of School Trustees of the Bloomfield School District, of Greene County, Indiana, met in regular session on November 27, 2012, in the high school cafeteria in Bloomfield Junior/Senior High School, 501 West Spring Street, Bloomfield, Indiana. The following school board members were present: Bill Bond, John Combs, Steve Dowden, Dwayne Hostetter, Sandy May, and Matt Miller. Eric Moody was absent. President Hostetter called the meeting to order at approximately 7:00 p.m. The following order of business was transacted with the President presiding:
1. Recognitions. Mr. Dean praised his teachers for working hard and gearing up for end of semester student testing. He also spoke of a wonderful Veteran's Day program and great chili supper to kick off the winter sports season. Mrs. Royal provided information on a recent Body Safety program at the jr/sr high school. Mr. Sichting congratulated Laura Helms and her strut n fret students on their recent performance and also to the NJROTC group on their latest inspection. He also praised Mr. Dean on a wonderful Veteran's Day program along with giving a shout out to Lieutenant Commander Frank Starr for stepping in and speaking when the scheduled speaker had to cancel at the last minute. Mr. Sichting also congratulated Mr. McBride for hosting a fantastic basketball classic tournament recently.
2. Comments and Information from the Public on Agenda Item #11 (A). Superintendent Sichting made an opening statement to the people gathered for information concerning the adding of football to the Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School sports roster. He said Mr. Starr had contacted him about making this presentation to the Board and explained how the interaction from those present would be handled. He told those present that no decision would be made after the presentation. Mr. Sichting that the school was in the process of purchasing property, but due to debt the school has, no construction would be started on that piece of property until that debt is paid and maintenance on the current building is kept up. He continued that it was possible that outdoor athletic facilities could be included in a building project no earlier than 2018. At that time, Mr. Frank Starr provided information on forming a school sponsored football league on behalf of the Bloomfield community. (See Attached Handout) At the end of the presentation, board members thanked Mr. Starr for the information he provided them.
3. Approval of Minutes. The Board had been provided with minutes of a special school board meeting held on July 12, 2012, along with a regular school board meeting held on October 25, 2012, which had been prepared by corporation recording secretary Kelli Usrey. President Hostetter asked for a motion to approve the proposed minutes from the July 12, 2012 special meeting. Bill Bond moved to approve the minutes of the July 12, 2012 special board meeting beginning with the sentence: "The Board of School Trustees of the Bloomfield School District, of Greene County, Indiana held a special reorganization meeting..." and ending with the sentence: "The (July 12th special) meeting was then adjourned by a 4-0 vote". Steve Dowden seconded the motion, which passed by a 4-0-2 vote. Steve Dowden and Matt Miller abstained because they were not in attendance at the July 12, 2012 meeting. Next, Steve Dowden made a motion to approve the minutes of the regular meeting held on October 25, 2012 beginning with the sentence: "The Board of School Trustees of the Bloomfield School District, of Greene County, Indiana met in regular session on October 25, 2012..." and ending with the sentence: "The (October 25th regular) meeting was then adjourned by a 6-0 vote". Bill Bond seconded the motion, which passed by a 5-0-1 vote. Sandy May abstained because she was not in attendance at the October 25, 2012 meeting.
4. Treasurer's Report. The Board had been provided with the Treasurer's Report, prepared by corporation treasurer Sue Pritts. Bill Bond made a motion to approve the October 29, 2012 claims listing beginning with voucher number 817 to Public Employee's Retirement Fund and ending with voucher number 901 to Vision Service Plan and also the October 31, 2012 appropriation report beginning with: Fund 0100 through Fund 7965. Steve Dowden seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
5. DOE SA 542 Report for November 2012. Bloomfield School District received the monthly tuition support payment from the Indiana Department of Education on November 15, 2012 in the amount of $493,812.65. (See Attached) The September payment was $0.03 greater than the October payment amount due to the averaging of the Special Education Grant and the Prime Time Grant over the twelve-month budget cycle. The 2012 Basic Grant payments are estimated to be $617,884 less than the 2009 Basic Grant payments.
6. Impact Aid Payment Notification Received. Bloomfield School District received an Impact Aid payment from the United States Department of Defense on October 24, 2012 in the amount of $13,311.94. Impact Aid is reimbursement for federal property located within the boundaries of the local school district declared tax-exempt and receiving no reimbursement for property taxes. All Impact Aid payments are receipted into the General Fund.
7. Information on Reimbursement for 2012 Summer School Programs. Bloomfield School District received notification of reimbursement for 2012 summer school expenses from the Indiana Department of Education on Thursday, November 1, 2012. (See Attached) Summer school reimbursement is a flat line appropriation in the state of Indiana's budget. This means the reimbursement received is contingent upon the number of claims received for reimbursement of summer school expenses. If the numbers of summer school claims exceed the total appropriation for summer school, the reimbursement is then prorated per school. For the second straight year, the expense reimbursement for Category #1 was 105%. Bloomfield School District submitted a reimbursement claim of $22,094 for Category #1 expenses. Bloomfield School District submitted a reimbursement claim of $751.00 for Category #3 expenses. Category #3 expenses were reimbursed at 100%. The total amount of summer school expenses submitted from Bloomfield School District for Category #1 and Category #3 expenses was $22,845.00. On November 1, 2012, Bloomfield School District received summer school reimbursement of $23,949.70 for eligible 2012 eligible summer school expenses.
8. Board Receives Information on Title I 2012 Carryover Funds. Mr. Sichting told board members the BSD finished the 2012 Title I budget cycle with unexpected funds of $27,573. He said the carryover funds had been applied to the 2013 Title I budget cycle and that an amendment would be submitted authorizing the expenditure of the carry over funds during the 2013 Title I budget cycle.
9. Resolution for Transfer of Appropriations. It was recommended the Board authorize appropriate district personnel to make transfers within minor categories and to transfer among major categories, appropriations necessary to allow for expenditures in the 2012 budget, when necessary. (See Attached) Mr. Sichting stated this resolution would cover all funds, if necessary. Matt Miller moved to approve the recommendation. Steve Dowden seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
10. Board Approves Lease Rental for Bloomfield Elementary Digital Imager. It was recommended the Board approve a lease rental agreement with Hudson Office Solution for a Sharp Digital Imager for Bloomfield Elementary School for forty-eight (48) months at $119.88 per month. (See Attached) Mr. Sichting said this digital imager would replace a unit that was leased in 2009. Steve Dowden moved to approve the lease. Sandy May seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
11. Board Awards Bus Route #8 for the 2013-2019 Transportation Term. It was recommended the Board award bus route #8 to Mr. Charles Bennett at a daily rate dollar amount of $194.75. (See Attached) Mr. Sichting said the contract would be executed with Mr. Bennett upon his successful possession of the items outlined in section 37 of the 2013-2019 Transportation Contract Specifications for BSD. Matt Miller made a motion to approve the recommendation. Sandy May seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
12. Treasurer Authorized to Pay Claim for Purchase of Land. Superintendent Sichting explained that the closing of the sale of real estate located along Highway 231 south of Bloomfield that the Board approved the purchase of is expected to be scheduled prior to the date of the December board meeting. Therefore, he recommended the Board authorize the school treasurer to wire a claim in the amount of three hundred ninety thousand one hundred eighty nine dollars and ninety-seven cents ($390,189.97) to the Bunger and Robertson Trust account for purchase of 120 acres in Taylor Township. Steve Dowden made a motion to approve the recommendation. John Combs seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
13. Long-Term Substitute Teacher Hired at Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School. It was recommended the Board approve the hiring of Mrs. Nicole Peter as a long-term substitute teacher at Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School from on or about October 31, 2012 through on or about December 21, 2012. (See Attached) Mrs. Peter will be teaching Business classes for Mrs. Erika Bault while she is on maternity leave. Sandy May moved to approve the recommendation. Bill Bond seconded the motion. Mrs. Peter was hired by a 6-0 vote.
14. 2012-2013 Bloomfield Elementary School Extra-Curricular Resignation. Superintendent Sichting explained that Mrs. Stephanie Arthur and Mrs. Theresa Barker were previously approved for Elementary Math Bowl and Elementary Science Bowl respectively, but due to changes in assignments, both ladies have submitted their resignations from those extra-curricular positions. Mr. Sichting recommended acceptance of both resignations. (See Attached) Matt Miller moved to accept the resignations. Steve Dowden seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
15. ECA Recommendations Approved for 2012-2013. It was recommended the Board approve a list of ECA recommendations for the 2012-2013 school year. (See Attached) The recommendation listed Theresa Barker for Elementary Math Bowl sponsor, Joanna Fish as Elementary Science Bowl sponsor, and Angie Campbell to serve as a volunteer Junior High Girls Basketball Coach. Sandy May made a motion to approve the list as provided. Matt Miller seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
16. Temporary Title I Instructional Assistant Hired. It was recommended the Board hire Mrs. Constance Riggins as a temporary Title I Instructional Assistant at Bloomfield Elementary School from January 3, 2013 to April 5, 2013. (See Attached) Steve Dowden made a motion to approve the hiring of Mrs. Riggins. Bill Bond seconded the motion. Mrs. Riggins was hired by a 6-0 vote.
17. NJROTC Unit Field Trip Approved to Upper Marlboro, Maryland. It was recommended the Board approve an overnight and out-of-state field trip for Bloomfield NJROTC unit to participate in the National Orienteering Championship from February 14, 2013 through February 20, 2013. (See Attached) Bill Bond moved to approve the field trip as requested. Steve Dowden seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
18. Board Approves National Honor Society Field Trip. It was recommended the Board approve an overnight field trip for Bloomfield Jr/Sr High National Honor Society to the Leadership Experience and Development (LEAD) conference in Lombard, Illinois from February 15, 2013 through February 17, 2013. (See Attached) Matt Miller moved to approve the field trip as requested. Sandy May seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
19. Vocal and Instrumental Music Field Trip to Florida Approved. Superintendent Sichting recommended the Board approve an overnight and out-of-state field trip for Joyful Noise, Cardinal Song, Center Stage, and the Bloomfield Sr. High School Band to participate in the Festival Disney from April 9, 2013 through April 14, 2013. (See Attached) Sandy May moved to approve the field trip as requested. Matt Miller seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
20. Non-Resident Student Application Approved for the 2012-2013 School Year. It was recommended the Board approve five non-resident student applications for Bloomfield Elementary School for the 2012-2013 school year. (See Attached) Steve Dowden moved to approve the recommendation. Bill Bond seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
21. Board Approves Monetary Donation. It was recommended the Board approve the following monetary donation:
• Bloomfield Apple Festival's donation of $50 to Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School Marching Band
Mr. Sichting said the Board had adopted policies for implementation for the school district. He said Policy #9510 requires all gifts, bequests, or donations to be approved by the Bloomfield School District Board of School Trustees. Mr. Sichting said the funds would be deposited in the Bloomfield Jr.-Sr. High School Extra-Curricular account. Matt Miller moved to approve the donations. Sandy May seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
22. Innovation Planning Grants Information. Superintendent Sichting told board members that Bloomfield School District submitted an application for the Innovative Planning Grant through the Indiana Department of Education. The Indiana Department of Education contacted Bloomfield School District on October 31, 2012 informing the grant application was not successful. White River Valley was the only school district in Greene County to receive the grant. The Indiana Department of Education hasn't released rubric and grant scoring as of November 19, 2012. In their correspondence, the Department of Education announced the rubric scoring wouldn't be sent out until mid-December.
23. Status of Compliance for Federal Fiscal Year 2011 (School Year 11-12). Bloomfield School District received a report concerning the district's status in being compliant with Special Education standards associated with the receipt of federal dollars for school year 2011-2012 corresponding with federal fiscal year 2011. (See Attached) Superintendent Sichting updated the board on compliance issues associated with Special Education.
24. Excellence in Performance Awards for Teachers Grant. The Indiana Department of Education released the grant application for the "Excellence in Performance Awards for Teachers" grant on November 13, 0212. (See Attached) For this grant cycle, a $9 million dollar grant pool was established in the 2011 state budget. The application deadline is December 17, 2012. Superintendent Dan Sichting updated board members on the grant application process.
25. Emergency School Closing Procedures for 2012-2013 Announced. Board members
and members of the media were provided with Emergency School Closing Procedures for the 2012-2013 school year as prepared by recording secretary Kelli Usrey. (See Attached.)
26. Adjournment. There being no further business Steve Dowden moved to adjourn. Sandy May seconded the motion. The meeting was then adjourned by a 6-0 vote.
BLOOMFIELD SCHOOL DISTRICT – BOARD OF SCHOOL TRUSTEES
Attest: Secretary Superintendent of Schools