|Written by Kevin Feutz|
|Friday, 28 September 2012 12:01|
MINUTES REGULAR MEETING OF SCHOOL BOARD
OF BLOOMFIELD SCHOOL DISTRICT
September 27, 2012
The Board of School Trustees of the Bloomfield School District, of Greene County, Indiana, met in regular session on September 27, 2012, in the jr/sr high school conference room in Bloomfield Junior/Senior High School, 501 West Spring Street, Bloomfield, Indiana. The following school board members were present: Bill Bond, Steve Dowden, Dwayne Hostetter, Matt Miller and Eric Moody. John Combs and Sandy May were absent. President Hostetter called the meeting to order at approximately 7:00 p.m. The following order of business was transacted with the President presiding:
1. Recognitions. Mr. Dean announced that for the past three years the jr/sr high school staff and students had participated in a 5k run/walk and this year the elementary school staff and students were invited to participate. He said this year the Olweus committee has joined in and "Bully Free" tee shirt had been ordered for participants to wear for the run/walk.
2. 2013-2019 Transportation Contracts Awarded. Superintendent Sichting recommended that the Board approve the following list of bidders for the 2013-2019 transportation contracts:
Route Bidder Daily Rate Length of Route Cost per Mile
#1 Jonas Johnson $247.49 72.0 $3.44
#2 Jim VanDeventer $189.50 55.0 $3.45
#3 Jim Abrams $240.00 61.0 $3.98
#4 Brad O'Neall $199.99 40.0 $4.80
#6 Don Goad $192.90 42.0 $4.80
#7 Laddie Moore $172.38 35.4 $4.87
#9 Helen Goad $195.34 49.0 $4.00
#10 Wendy Bastin $198.00 59.4 $3.33
#11 Linda Moore $172.38 65.0 $2.65
#12 Keith Bennett $197.99 52.0 $3.81
#13 Kevin Gott $199.60 59.4 $3.36
#14 Lana Pinnick $199.00 50.2 $3.96
Total $2,405.07 640.40 $3.75
It was also recommended the following routes not be awarded at this time:
Bus Route Length of Route Current Bid Cost per Mile
#5 42.0 $217.98 $5.19
#8 33.6 $220.00 $6.55
Matt Miller moved to approve the recommendation. Steve Dowden seconded the motion, which passed by a 5-0 vote. Mr. Sichting reminded board members that for 2013 the transportation levy would be approximately $544,182.00. He said with that levy the school has to run fourteen (14) regular routes and two (2) special education routes. Mr. Sichting said if the board had accepted all 14 of the bids, it would have totaled $513,000.00 and that amount would have stressed the district in terms of the levy. He said he and the board felt like the bids received for routes #5 and #8 were higher than the district could pay with the levy.
3. Greene County MAPP Professional Development Presentation. Mrs. Jennifer Lee, Greene County Mathematics Advancement Partnership Project Coach, made a very informative presentation to the Board on professional development given to math teachers in Greene County.
4. Approval of Minutes. The Board had been provided with minutes of a special school board meeting held on July 12, 2012, along with a regular school board meeting held on August 30, 2012, which had been prepared by corporation recording secretary Kelli Usrey. President Hostetter stated that there was not a quorum of board members present who were also at the July 12, 2012 board meeting so those proposed minutes would be brought back to another meeting for consideration. President Hostetter asked for a motion to approve the proposed minutes from the August 30, 2012 meeting. Eric Moody moved to approve the minutes of the August 30, 2012 board meeting beginning with the sentence: "The Board of School Trustees of the Bloomfield School District, of Greene County, Indiana met in regular session on August 30, 2012..." and ending with the sentence: "The (August 30, 2012 Regular) meeting was then adjourned by a 6-0 vote". Bill Bond seconded the motion, which passed by a 5-0 vote.
5. Treasurer's Report. The Board had been provided with the Treasurer's Report, prepared by corporation treasurer Sue Pritts. Steve Dowden made a motion to approve the September 6, 2012 claims listing beginning with voucher number 635 to Bloomfield State Bank and ending with voucher number 735 to Walmart Community and also the August 31, 2012 appropriations report beginning with: Fund 0100 through Fund 7965. Bill Bond seconded the motion, which passed by a 5-0 vote.
6. Conduct Public Hearing for 2013 Budget, Capital Projects Plan, and School Bus Replacement Plan. It was recommended the Board conduct a public hearing on the 2013 Budget, 2013 Capital Projects Fund Plan, 2013 School Bus Replacement Plan. Superintendent Sichting stated that on September 7, 2012 and September 14, 2012 the Budget was published in the Greene County Daily World. He then asked if there were any public comments on the Budget as it was published. Mr. Sichting said the government is supposed to subsidize the interest on Qualified School Construction Bonds, but when advertising the budget he had to consider that the government might default on paying the interest on those bonds. He said that the advertised levy is approximately $100,000.00 higher than the actual adopted levy would be. President Hostetter stated that there were no public comments made concerning the 2013 Budget.
7. Board Adopts Expenditure Goals for 2013 Budget. Superintendent Sichting explained that the General Assembly passed legislation establishing that school corporations establish expenditure goals unique to their school corporation as mandated by I.C. 21-10-3-4. Mr. Sichting recommended approval. (See Attached) Steve Dowden moved to approve the recommendation. Eric Moody seconded the motion, which passed by a 5-0 vote.
8. Resolution to Shift a Portion of Contracted Bus Service to the Bus Replacement Plan. It was recommended the Board approve a resolution to shift a portion of the cost of contracted bus service to the Bus Replacement Plan for the 2013 Budget. (See Attached) Mr. Sichting explained that school districts in Indiana were given the flexibility to begin raising a portion of contracted transportation costs from the Bus Replacement Fund with the 2007 budget. He said the Transportation Fund was a levy driven fund with increases in fuel costs outpacing the normal annual adjustment to the transportation levy. Prior to the availability of this flexibility, Mr. Sichting continued, Bloomfield School District was transferring money from other funds to make-up the shortfall in the Transportation Fund. He said the ability to pay transportation costs directly from the Bus Replacement Fund has eliminated a drain on the Bloomfield School District Transportation Fund and fuel costs tend to be very unstable and can change rapidly due to world events or weather events. Matt Miller moved to approve the resolution, as recommended. Steve Dowden seconded the motion, which passed by a 5-0 vote.
9. 2013 General Fund Revenue Estimate from IDOE. Superintendent Sichting stated that annually the Indiana Department of Education is required by law to provide Indiana school districts an estimate of revenues. He said that on August 1, 2012, Bloomfield School District received an estimate of General Fund Revenue pursuant to Indiana Code 20-26-6-12.5(a) for 2013. Mr. Sichting shared the estimates of revenue, but stated they were a little high:
• Basic Tuition Support-$5,430,091
• Honors Grant-$18,900
• Special Education-$330,802
• Career and Technical Education-$118,250
• Prime Time-$101,880
On Friday, September 14, 2012, Bloomfield School District's Average Daily Membership was determined and the revenue amounts set for Basic Tuition Support, Career and Technical Education, and Prime Time. The estimated revenue amounts are listed below:
• Basic Tuition Support-$5,180,058
• Honors Grant-$21,600
• Prime Time-$100,843
• Career and Technical Education-$102,325
Special Education funding will be set as the Special Education enrollment is determined on December 1, 2012. The approximate funding amount for Special Education is estimated to be:
• Estimated Special Education Funding-$271,040
• Estimated Total 2013 Funding-$5,675,866
In 2012, Bloomfield School District is estimated to receive $6,003,664 in state funding. In comparison, Bloomfield School District is estimated to receive $5,675,866 in state funding for 2013. The loss of funding from 2012 to 2013 is estimated to be $327,798.
Due to the anticipated 2013 revenue loss, Bloomfield School District will have lost approximately $945,682 in state revenue dating back to 2009.
10. 2012-2013 Full Day Kindergarten Estimate from Indiana Department of Education. On July 6, 2012, Bloomfield School District received an estimate of revenue to be generated through the 2012-2013 Full Day Kindergarten Grant. Bloomfield School District had estimated 100 students would enroll in Full Day Kindergarten classes for 2012-2013. The estimate was exaggerated to make sure all available revenue was captured. The 2012-2013 Full Day Kindergarten Grant revenue was estimated to be $240,000. Bloomfield School District has 75 Full Day Kindergarten students and one (1) half-day kindergarten student. The estimated revenue created by 75 Full Day Kindergarten students is approximately $180,000. (See Attached)
11. DOE SA 542 Report for September 2012. Bloomfield School District received the monthly tuition support payment from the Indiana Department of Education on September 17, 2012 in the amount of $493,812.63. (See Attached) The September payment was $0.02 greater than the August payment amount due to the averaging of the Special Education Grant and the Prime Time Grant. The 2012 Basic Grant payments are estimated to be $617,884 less than the 2009 Basic Grant payments.
12. Cafeteria II Employee Hired. It was recommended the Board hire Lisa Horning as a cafeteria II employee of the Bloomfield School District effective October 1, 2012. (See Attached) Bill Bond moved to approve the employment of Mrs. Horning per the recommendation. Eric Moody seconded the motion. Mr. Sichting said BSD Cafeteria II employees work three hours per day for 181 days. He said Mrs. Jana McIntosh, Cafeteria Manager, made the recommendation and he concurs with that request. The Board voted 5-0 to hire Mrs. Horning.
13. Title I Instructional Assistant Hired for Bloomfield Elementary. It was recommended the Board hire Mrs. Julie Sherrard as a Title I Instructional Assistant at Bloomfield Elementary for the 2012-2013 school year effective September 10, 2012. (See Attached) Mr. Sichting explained that Instructional Assistants are "at-will" employees and that Mrs. Sherrard's position would be funded through carry-over Title I grant funding. He stressed that if Title I funding is cut then Title I positions are cut as well. Matt Miller moved to approve the recommendation. Steve Dowden seconded the motion, which passed by a 5-0 vote.
14. Board Hires Long-Term Substitute for Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School. Mr. Dean requested the Board hire Mrs. Ashlea Dunkerly as a long-term substitute teacher in 7th and 8th grade English/Language Arts at Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School from on or about September 10, 2012 through on or about October 12, 2012. (See Attached) Superintendent Sichting explained that this position became available due to a classroom teacher experiencing health issues. He said Mrs. Dunkerly was employed as a Title I Instructional Assistant at Bloomfield Elementary School and would be taking leave without pay to fill the position at Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School. Mr. Sichting stated that Mrs. Dunkerly holds an elementary intermediate generalist teaching license and would be using an Indiana Emergency Permit for the areas of English/Language Arts and Social Studies to fill the current position that she is being recommended for. Mr. Sichting recommended approval of the request to hire Mrs. Dunkerly. Steve Dowden made a motion to approve the recommendation. Matt Miller seconded the motion, which passed by a 5-0 vote.
15. ECA Recommendations Approved for 2012-2013. It was recommended the Board approve a list of ECA recommendations for the 2012-2013 school year. (See Attached) Steve Dowden made a motion to approve the entire list as provided. Eric Moody seconded the motion, which passed by a 5-0 vote.
16. Overnight Field Trip for High School Student Council Approved. It was recommended the Board approve an overnight field trip for High School Student Council to participate in a leadership conference in Bloomington, Indiana from October 9, 2012 to October 10, 2012. (See Attached) Bill Bond moved to approve the field trip as requested. Matt Miller seconded the motion, which passed by a 5-0 vote.
17. NJROTC Unit Field Trip Approved to Camp Perry, Ohio. It was recommended the Board approve an overnight and out-of-state field trip for Bloomfield NJROTC unit to participate in an air rifle competition in Camp Perry, Ohio from December 7, 2012 through December 8, 2012. (See Attached) Matt Miller moved to approve the field trip as requested. Steve Dowden seconded the motion, which passed by a 5-0 vote.
18. Non-Resident Student Application Approved for the 2012-2013 School Year. It was recommended the Board approve one non-resident student application for Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School for the 2012-2013 school year. (See Attached) Eric Moody moved to approve the recommendation. Bill Bond seconded the motion, which passed by a 5-0 vote.
19. Board Policies, New, 2nd Reading and Adoption. The following board policies were presented to Bloomfield School District Board of School Trustees for 2nd Reading and Adoption. (See Attached):
• 7416, Chemical Management
• 8200, Animals in Classrooms
• 8601, Vehicle Idling
• 3432, Family and Medical Leaves of Absence
Steve Dowden made a motion to approve the policies as presented. Eric Moody seconded the motion, which passed by a 5-0 vote.
20. Board Approves Donation to Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School Athletic Department. It was recommended the Board approve a monetary donation to the Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School Athletic Department for $150.00 from Crane Federal Credit Union. Bill Bond made a motion to approve the donation. Matt Miller seconded the motion, which passed by a 5-0 vote. Mr. Sichting thanked Crane Credit Union for their donation.
21. Bloomfield Elementary Extra-Curricular Account Purchase Approved. It was recommended the Board approve a purchase from the Bloomfield Elementary Extra-Curricular Account for three thousand five hundred seventy ($3,570) dollars for technical support for "Successmaker". Eric Moody moved to approve the purchase. Matt Miller seconded the motion, which passed by a 5-0 vote.
22. Use of School Facilities for Apple Festival Approved. It was recommended the Board approve the use of district facilities for the Apple Festival Committee for the Bloomfield Apple Festival on October 5, 2012, October 6, 2012, and October 7, 2012. (See Attached) Eric Moody moved to approve the recommendation. Bill Bond seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote. Mr. Sichting stated the Bloomfield Apple Festival Committee utilizes school facilities during the Apple Festival Celebration each year. He said the amusement company sets up a midway in the tennis court parking lot and vendors set up booths in the baseball field gravel parking lot. He continued the Committee would use the tennis courts parking lot and bus parking lot on Sunday, October 7, 2012 for lining up parade participants. Mr. Sichting included a copy of the Certificate of Insurance provided by Jessop Amusement Company.
23. 2012-2013 Bloomfield School District Average Daily Membership. Superintendent Sichting announced Average Daily Membership (ADM) for 2012-2013 for the Bloomfield School District to be 952.5 students. Mr. Sichting reminded board members that this time last year the ADM was 1000. He provided members with a mobility chart showing where students moved. (See Attached) He said that some families moved out of state for career changes while some students some students are now being home schooled. He reminded the Board that funding is determined by the number of students enrolled.
24. 2012 ACT College Readiness Report. Mr. Sichting provided board members with the ACT College Readiness Report for Bloomfield School District. (See Attached)
25. Board Hears 2012 ISTEP+ Testing Results and School Accountability Grades. Bloomfield Elementary principal Mary Jane Vandeventer and Jr/Sr High School principal David Dean gave presentations to board members on 2012 Spring ISTEP+ results and expected accountability results.
26. Adjournment. There being no further business Eric Moody moved to adjourn. Bill Bond seconded the motion. The meeting was then adjourned by a 5-0 vote.
BLOOMFIELD SCHOOL DISTRICT – BOARD OF SCHOOL TRUSTEES
Attest: Secretary Superintendent of Schools
|Last Updated on Thursday, 31 January 2013 15:08|