|Written by Kevin Feutz|
|Friday, 28 September 2012 11:42|
MINUTES REGULAR MEETING OF SCHOOL BOARD
OF BLOOMFIELD SCHOOL DISTRICT
May 31, 2012
The Board of School Trustees of the Bloomfield School District, of Greene County, Indiana, met in regular session on May 31, 2012, in the jr/sr high school conference room in Bloomfield Junior/Senior High School, 501 West Spring Street, Bloomfield, Indiana. The following school board members were present: Bill Bond, John Combs, Steve Dowden, Dwayne Hostetter, Sandy May, Matt Miller and Eric Moody. President Hostetter called the meeting to order at approximately 7:00 p.m. The following order of business was transacted with the President presiding:
1. Board Receives Information from Bloomfield Alumni Representative. Bloomfield Alumni representative Jami Corbin spoke to the Board on different aspects of the Alumni Association and shared some hope they have for working together with the school for the good of all.
2. Recognitions. Mrs. Royal announced that graduation had gone well under the leadership of a good Senior class. Mr. Sichting recognized Brad Seymour for having Perfect Attendance all year, Justin Deem for having Outstanding Attendance all year, and Sarah Bovenschen, Sabrina Stantz, and Liz Templeton for Outstanding Attendance during the last semester in their vocational school classes. Mr. Sichting also recognized Bloomfield bus driver Jonas Johnson, Mrs. Royal and Mr. Dean for doing an excellent job during a recent situation when Mr. Johnson’s bus was involved in an accident while delivering kids home after school. Mrs. Royal added praise for Mrs. Carolyn Vandeventer, a Bloomfield cafeteria worker, who stopped at the accident site and served as a familiar face to student, which helped to calm them while they waited to be reunited with their parents. Mr. Sichting also said that ISTEP testing preliminary results look very encouraging and he praised the principals and teachers for their hard work in preparing students for that testing.
3. Approval of Minutes. The Board had been provided with minutes of a regular school board meeting held on April 26, 2012, which had been prepared by corporation recording secretary Kelli Usrey. President Hostetter asked for a motion to approve the proposed board meeting. Bill Bond moved to approve the minutes of the proposed board meeting beginning with the sentence: “The Board of School Trustees of the Bloomfield School District, of Greene County, Indiana met in regular session on April 26, 2012…” and ending with the sentence: “The (April 26, 2012 Regular ) meeting was then adjourned by a 6-0 vote”. Sandy May seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0-1 vote. Steve Dowden abstained because he was not in attendance at the April 26th meeting of the Board.
4. Treasurer’s Report. The Board had been provided with the Treasurer’s Report, prepared by corporation treasurer Sue Pritts. Steve Dowden made a motion to approve the April 6, 2012 claims listing beginning with voucher number 306 to Bloomfield State Bank and ending with voucher number 393 to Diane Wilson and also the April 30, 2012 appropriations report beginning with: Fund 0100 through Fund 7965. Matt Miller seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
5. DOE SA 542 Report for May 2012. Bloomfield School District received the monthly DOE SA 542 payment on May 15, 2012. (See Attached) Bloomfield School District received $493,481.10 in the May Basic Grant payment. The Basic Grant consists of tuition support payment, Academic Honors Grant, Special Education Grant, Vocational Education Grant, and Prime Time Grant. The May Basic Grant payment was $0.03 greater than the April Basic Grant payment. The increase in the May payment was due the averaging of the Special Education Grant, Vocational Grant, and Prime Time Grant. The 2012 Basic Grant payments are estimated to be $287,000 less than the 2011 Basic Grant payments. The 2012 Basic Grant payments are estimated to be $650,000 less than the 2008 Basic Grant payments.
6. May 18th Choice Scholarship Distribution. Bloomfield School District received a special distribution from the Indiana Department of Education from the difference between the normal tuition support payment for a student and the amount received by the student to attend a private school in Indiana. (See Attached) In 2011, the Indiana General Assembly passed I.C. 20-51-4 establishing the Choice Scholarship Program. Students attending a public school for two consecutive years could receive $4,500 dollars to apply for tuition at a private school. The difference between the amount the student would receive in terms of tuition support at a public school and the $4,500 dollar Choice Scholarship would be placed in a fund and divided among public schools in Indiana. On May 18th, Bloomfield School District received $4,034.61 from the proceeds of the Choice Scholarship Program savings.
7. Bloomfield School District Will Participate in 2012 Remediation and Preventive Remediation Grant Application. Superintendent Sichting explained the Remediation and Preventive Remediation Grant program provides money for remediation and preventive remediation and also requires a 50% local match to receive state funding. He said participation in the program is voluntary, but in order to participate, a school corporation must submit a notice of intent to the Department of Education no later than June 13, 2012. (See Attached) Mr. Sichting recommended approval of participation in the 2012 Remediation and Preventive Remediation Grant. Matt Miller made a motion to approve the recommendation. Sandy May seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
8. 2012 Bloomfield School District Circuit Breaker Loss. The Greene County Auditor provided taxing units in Greene County information concerning anticipated losses from Circuit Breaker credits in terms of the 2012 budget. In 2012, Bloomfield School District was estimated to collect $1,950,555 from property taxes for all funds. The estimated Circuit Breaker loss for the 2012 Bloomfield School District budget is estimated to be $27, 393.26. See attached copy of the estimated losses by township or taxing district from Bloomfield School District.
9. 2012 Estimated Summer School Expense Reimbursement. The Indiana Department of Education released the estimate of reimbursement for 2012 Summer School programs on May 10, 2012. Category I Summer School programs are estimated to receive 73.0903% of eligible expenses. Category II and Category III Summer School programs are estimated to receive no funding. For the last two years, summer school expenses have been reimbursed at 105%. Due to mandatory I-READ3 remediation, Mr. Sichting anticipates the reimbursement to fall below the 105% level for 2012.
10. 2012 Bloomfield School District Health Insurance Renewal Approved. It was recommended the Board approve the Health Insurance Renewal with Dunn and Associates for the reinsurance through Companion Life from June 1, 2012 through May 31, 2013. Mr. Sichting said Bloomfield School District has a self-funded health insurance plan for its employees. Bloomfield School District’s self-funded employee health insurance plan utilizes Dunn and Associates as the third party administrator. Bloomfield School District covers all individual claims up to $50,000. A reinsurance policy is purchased for all individual claims exceeding $50,000. The reinsurance for the term of June 1, 2012 through May 31, 2013 is through Companion Life. Eric Moody moved to approve the recommendation. John Combs seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
11. Proposal for 2012 BSD Roof Survey Approved. It was recommended the Board approve a proposal with STR Building Resources LLC for $1,500 to conduct a roof survey update. (See Attached) Bill Bond moved to approve the survey per Mr. Sichting’s recommendation. Steve Dowden seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
12. Staff Assessment Tool and Maintenance Support from Logic Key Approved. Mr. Sichting explained that Logic Key provides student management software for BSD and has developed staff performance evaluation software for the new Rise Evaluation System. He said the administrators had chosen the Harmony software for the Rise system to be used during the 2012-2013 school year. Mr. Sichting recommended the Board approve the Logic Key Quote for staff assessment tool and maintenance support in the amount of $2,800. (See Attached) Matt Miller moved to approve the recommendation. Sandy May seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
13. 2012-2013 Title I Application Approved for Submission. Superintendent Sichting recommended that the Board approve the submission of the Title I grant application for the 2012-2013 school year. (See Attached) Mr. Sichting shard some information on the Title I Grant planning allocation. Bloomfield School District received the 2012-2013 Title I Grant Planning Allocation on May 23, 2012. The 2012-2013 Title I Grant Planning Allocation was for $198,864.06. The planning allocation breakdown was:
The 2012-2013 Title I Planning Allocation was reduced by $1,110.97 for a charter school transfer. The 2011-2012 Title I Planning Allocation was $235,954. It is estimated Bloomfield School District will see a 15% decrease in Title I funding for 2012-2013. The 15% decrease is equivalent to $37,089.74. Steve Dowden made a motion that the Board authorize submission of the 2012-2013 Title I grant application. Eric Moody seconded the motion. The Board approved the motion by a 7-0 vote.
14. Elementary Teacher Retires. Mrs. Cindy Moody submitted her retirement letter effective May 23, 2012. Superintendent Sichting recommended acceptance. (See Attached) Sandy May moved to accept Mrs. Moody’s retirement resignation. Matt Miller seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote. Mr. Sichting thanked Mrs. Moody for her twenty-seven years of service to Bloomfield School District and wished her best of health and wealth in her retirement. The Board wished Mrs. Moody enjoyment in her retirement. Mrs. Vandeventer said Mrs. Moody was dedicated to Bloomfield students during her time in her classroom and served those students well.
15. Elementary Secretary Hired. It was recommended the Board hire Mrs. Kelli Cosgrove as a secretary at Bloomfield Elementary. (See Attached) Sandy May made a motion to approve Mrs. Cosgrove’s hiring. Steve Dowden seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote. Mr. Sichting shared that Mrs. Cosgrove had served as an Instructional Assistant at Bloomfield Elementary School and had received training from retiring secretary Mrs. Sue Sparks.
16. Board Approves 2012 Summer School Personnel. It was recommended the Board approve the following 2012 Summer School staff appointments: Ron McBride-Driver’s Education, Kyle von Almen-Driver’s Education, Brad Ellis-Driver’s Education, Nicole Peter-Health, Cindy Lincicome-Health, Ben Helms-Supervised Agriculture, Julie Evans-Pre-Algebra, Jennifer Bollero-Band, Diane Rodriquez-Credit Recovery, and Jessica Lauderdale-IREAD3. (See Attached Recommendation Details) Matt Miller moved to approve the recommendation. Bob Bond seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote. Superintendent Sichting explained the state of Indiana does not reimburse schools for Driver’s Education expenses and as a result, Driver’s Education is a self-funded program. He continued that approximately forty students are needed in the class for the class to break even. Mr. Sichting said there were fifty students enrolled in 2012 for Driver’s Education.
17. 2012 Summer Camp Instructors Hired. Superintendent Sichting asked the Board to approve 2012 summer camp instructors. Recommended were Matt Britton for Boy’s Basketball Camp (30 hours), Chris Hitchcock for Girl’s Basketball (28 hours), Bailey Maryfield Tennis Camp (48 hours), and Ashlea Dunkerly for Volleyball Camp (16 hours). (See Attached) Mr. Sichting explained that athletic camps are self-supporting with no personnel expenses for camp instructors being paid out of the General Fund. He said all summer camp instructors would be paid $12.00 per hour. Eric Moody moved to approve the recommendation. Steve Dowden seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
18. Elementary Teacher Receives Approval for Upcoming Maternity Leave. Bloomfield Elementary teacher Mrs. Jan Abrams submitted her request to be on maternity leave from on or about August 27, 2012 through on or about January 3, 2013. It was recommended for approval. Sandy May moved to approve the recommendation. John Combs seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
19. Temporary Contract for Jr/Sr High School Math Teacher Approved. Superintendent Sichting stated that in 2011 the General Assembly passed a law that allowed school corporations to hire teachers under temporary contracts. He recommended hiring Mrs. Diane Rodriquez under a temporary contract to teach math at Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School during the 2012-2013 school year. (See Attached) Mr. Sichting shared that Mrs. Rodriquez had been employed by the District as a long-term substitute teacher during the 2010-2011 school year and again under a temporary contract through a grant during the 2011-2012 school year. Eric Moody made a motion to approve the hiring of Mrs. Rodriquez per the recommendation. Sandy May seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
20. Bloomfield Elementary Teacher Voluntary Transfer Announced. Mrs. Vandeventer announced a transfer of Mrs. Kristy Burger from 3rd grade to a Full Day Kindergarten classroom. Mr. Sichting shared that Mrs. Burger had taught Full Day Kindergarten another time that it was offered at Bloomfield Elementary.
21. Retirement Resignation Approved at Bloomfield Elementary School. It was recommended the board approve the retirement resignation of Mrs. Susan Cook effective, June 1, 2012. Sandy May moved to approve the recommendation. Matt Miller seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote. Mr. Sichting shared that Mrs. Cook had done a wonderful job during her twenty-five years of teaching at Bloomfield Elementary School and wished her well. Mrs. Vandeventer said Mrs. Cook was a true professional that loved children and wished her the best in her retirement.
22. Board Approves Overnight Redliner Dance Team Field Trip to Southern Indiana University. It was recommended the Board approve an overnight Field Trip for Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School Redliner Dance Team to attend UDA Camp at Southern Indiana University from July 10th, 2012 through July 13th, 2012. (See Attached) Sandy May made a motion to approve the field trip as requested. Steve Dowden seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
23. Overnight Field Trip to Hanover College for Junior High Boy’s Basketball Team Approved. It was recommended the Board approve an overnight field trip for Bloomfield Junior High Boy’s Basketball team to attend a team camp at Hanover College from June 22nd, 2012 through June 23rd, 2012. (See Attached) Sandy May moved to approve the field trip as requested. Steve Dowden seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
24. Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School Varsity and Junior Varsity Cheerleading Overnight Field Trip Approved. Annually, the Varsity and Junior Varsity cheerleading squads attend a camp for skills and stunt development during the summer. A request was made for the squads to attend this year’s camp at Vincennes University from July 9th, 2012 through July 12th, 2012. Superintendent Sichting recommended approval. Steve Dowden made a motion to approve the recommendation. Sandy May seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
25. Board Approves 2012-2013 Student Handbook Changes for Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School. Mrs. Royal had earlier provided board members with an outline of the 2012-2013 student handbook changes for the jr/sr high school. (See Attached) Mr. Sichting recommended approval of the 2012-2013 student handbook for Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School including the proposed changes. Matt Miller moved to approve the recommendation. Steve Dowden seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
26. Bloomfield Elementary 2012-2013 Student Handbook Approved. Superintendent Sichting explained that traditionally students at the elementary and jr/sr high school shared one handbook. He said it was determined by the administration of both schools to separate the handbooks for the 2012-2013 school year. Mr. Sichting recommended approval of the 2012-2013 Bloomfield Elementary Handbook proposed by Mrs. Vandeventer. (See Attached) Sandy May made motion to approve the handbook as presented. Steve Dowden seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
27. Board Approves 2012 Summer School Textbook Rental and Fees. It was recommended the Board approve class fees, consumable materials fees, and textbook rental fees for Driver’s Training, Health, and Summer Credit Recovery for the 2012 summer school term. (See Attached) Eric Moody made a motion to approve the fees as presented. Bill Bond seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
28. Board Approves Monetary Donations. Superintendent Sichting told board members monetary donations had been made to Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School NJROTC Unit in the amount of $1,500.00 from Peabody Energy, Bloomfield American Legion Post #196 in the amount of $2,000, and from the Linton Elks Lodge #866 in the amount of $500. (See Attached) Mr. Sichting recommended acceptance of the donations in compliance with Board Policy #9510. Sandy May made a motion to accept the donations. John Combs seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote. Mr. Sichting thanked the donors for their generous donations.
29. Board Approves District 2013-2014 Membership in Southern Indiana Educational Service Center. Superintendent Sichting told board members that in the past Bloomfield School District had held membership in the West Central Indiana Educational Service Center. He said that due to the reduced funding provided to Educational Service Centers by the Indiana General Assembly, West Central Indiana Educational Service Center no longer met the needs of BSD. He continued that in April and May a committee, consisting of principals, Title I Coordinator, Librarian, Cafeteria Manager, secretaries, Custodial Supervisor, and Treasurer, looked at benefits of the Southern Indiana Educational Service Center and determined it would best meet the needs of staff and students at BSD. Mr. Sichting said that law mandates that a school district provide an educational service center notice of a change in membership by July 1st with a minimum of twelve (12) months written notification, which BSD would do. Mr. Sichting recommended approval of membership in Southern Indiana Educational Service Center for the 2013-2014 school year. Steve Dowden moved to approve the recommendation. Matt Miller seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
30. Board Policies, Revised and New, 1st Reading. The following board policies were presented to Bloomfield School District Board of School Trustees for 1st Reading. (See Attached):
Superintendent Sichting said he would be bringing these policies back to the Board for 2nd Reading and adoption.
31. Textbook Adoption at Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School. Superintendent Sichting said that under the provisions of IC 20-20-5-1 through 20-20-5-25, it was recommended the Official Report of the 2012-2018 Family and Consumer Science and Agriculture adoption be as listed (See Attached). Matt Miller moved to approve the adoption recommendation. Steve Dowden seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
32. Board Repeals Administrative Salary Scale. The Superintendent recommended the Board repeal the BSD Administrative Salary Scale established in June, 2006 by school board action effective July 1, 2012. Mr. Sichting gave board members the following reasoning behind his recommendation: The Indiana General Assembly passed IC 20-28 in April, 2011. The statue defined teacher as a professional person whose position in a school corporation requires certain educational preparation and licensing and whose primary responsibilities is the instruction of students. For the purposes of IC 20-28, the term includes Superintendent, Principal, Teacher, and Librarian.
“Teachers” as defined above are subject to the performance pay provisions of IC 20-28-11.5 and the due process procedures in IC 20-28-11.5.
The provisions of IC 20-28-11.5 regarding performance pay is triggered on July 1, 2012 or at the expiration of a collective bargained agreement currently in effect. IC 20-28-11.5 mandates any increases or increments in a salary scale cannot account for more than thirty-three (33%) for experience or educational attainment.
The June, 2006 Bloomfield School District Administrative Salary Scale has 100% of the increment based on additional years of experience. As a result, the Administrative Salary Scale will be illegal as it was established on July 1, 2012.
Sandy May made a motion to approve the recommendation. Eric Moody seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
33. July 4th Fireworks to be Held on School Grounds. It was recommended the Board approve a request to hold the Bloomfield Chamber of Commerce’s annual Fourth of July fireworks display on Bloomfield School District’s outdoor athletic facilities. Bill Bond moved to approve the request. Matt Miller seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
34. Indiana Insurance Loss Prevention Report. Superintendent Sichting told board members that a recent visit by an expert from Indiana Insurance conducting a loss prevention inspection showed one (1) critical finding and that was a shower was needed in the Ag Shop in the event that someone who was welding got caught on fire. Mr. Sichting said he was appealing the finding because there was a water hose 5’ from where the shower would be installed. Mr. Sichting said there were two non-critical findings, one was a needed fire blanket for the Chemistry Lab, and the second was to install a GFI ground fault in a receptacle located 1’ from a water fountain in the Ag Shop. Mr. Sichting assured the Board those items would be taken care of.
35. ISBA Superintendent’s Evaluation Training. Mr. Sichting reminded board members of an ISBA Superintendent’s Evaluation Training on June 18th at Jasper, Indiana.
36. Adjournment. There being no further business Eric Moody moved to adjourn. Steve Dowden seconded the motion. The meeting was then adjourned by a 7-0 vote.
BLOOMFIELD SCHOOL DISTRICT – BOARD OF SCHOOL TRUSTEES
Attest: Secretary Superintendent of Schools