|Written by Kevin Feutz|
|Thursday, 27 September 2012 12:34|
MINUTES OF REGULAR MEETING OF SCHOOL BOARD
OF BLOOMFIELD SCHOOL DISTRICT
December 29, 2011
The Board of School Trustees of the Bloomfield School District, of Greene County, Indiana, met in regular session on December 29, 2011, in the jr/sr high school conference room in Bloomfield Junior/Senior High School, 501 West Spring Street, Bloomfield, Indiana. The following school board members were present: Bill Bond, John Combs, Steve Dowden, Dwayne Hostetter, Sandy May, Matt Miller, and Eric Moody. President Hostetter called the meeting to order at approximately 7:00 p.m. The following order of business was transacted with the President presiding:
1. Recognitions. David Dean said that the Advanced Food and Nutrition class recently held their annual Holiday Dinner and that it was received well by all who attended. Mr. Dean also shared information concerning recent NJROTC competitions as well as their formal inspection, boy’s basketball tournament play, Band and Choral Christmas Concert and said that Algebra I and English 10 ECA retakes had been completed and that test results are expected to be back by the first week of December. Mr. Dean commended staff and students on a great first semester. Mr. Sichting added that the food for the holiday dinner, put on by Mrs. Bent and her Family and Consumer Science classes, was all donated by Bloomfield School staff members, which he felt spoke highly of those who work at the School. The Superintendent also recognized Twin Rivers students who were honored for having perfect attendance.
2. Approval of Minutes. The Board had been provided with minutes of an executive session school board meeting and a regular school board meeting both held on November 29, 2011, which had been prepared by corporation recording secretary Kelli Usrey. President Hostetter asked for a motion to approve the proposed board meetings. Bill Bond moved to approve the minutes of both of the November 29, 2011 board meetings beginning with the sentence: “The Board of School Trustees of the Bloomfield School District, of Greene County, Indiana met in executive session on November 29, 2011.…” and ending with the sentence: “The meeting was then adjourned by a 7-0 vote”. Steve Dowden seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
3. Treasurer’s Report. The Board had been provided with the Treasurer’s Report, prepared by corporation treasurer Sue Pritts. Steve Dowden made a motion to approve the November 30, 2011 appropriations report beginning with: Fund 0100 through Fund 7965 and also the December 7, 2011 claims report beginning with voucher number 957 to Bloomfield State Bank and ending with voucher number 1052 to Indiana HRA Contributions. Matt Miller seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
4. DOESA 541 Report for December 2011. Bloomfield School District received the December DOE SA 541 payment on Thursday, December 15, 2011. The December DOE SA 541 payment was $517,603.51. The December payment was $86.33 greater than the November DOE SA 541 payment. The reason for the increase in the December DOE SA 541 payment was a decrease in the monthly reduction ordered by Governor Daniels in January, 2010 due to shortages in tax collections. At the conclusion of the budget year, the reduction ordered is recalculated in terms of the annual reduction. The annual reduction for the Budget of 2011 resulted in the monthly reduction declining from $27,476.64 to $27,390.24. This change occurred due to the annual reduction for Bloomfield School District declining from $329,403.36 to $329,316.97.
5. December 2011 Settlement of Financial Institutions Tax Receipts. Bloomfield School District received the second distribution of Financial Institution tax receipts for the 2011 budget on December 14, 2011. The breakdown of the Financial Institutions tax receipts per fund were as follows:
Retirement/Severance Bond Debt Service-$801.47
School Bus Replacement-$560.35
The table below compares the 2011 semi-annual payment with the total payment received from Financial Institutions Tax receipts for the previous four budget years:
*-Overall budget increased by $111,000 over 2010 level
**-2010 Budget was reduced by $501,588.32 from 2009 level
6. December Settlement of Commercial Vehicle Excise Tax for 2011. Bloomfield School District received the settlement distribution of Commercial Vehicle Excise tax receipts for the 2011 budget on December 14, 2011. The breakdown of the Commercial Vehicle Excise tax receipts per fund were as follows:
Retirement/Severance Bond Debt Service-$1,253.65
School Bus Replacement-$876.83
The table below compares the 2011 semi-annual payment with the total payment received from Commercial Vehicle Excise tax receipts for the previous four budget years:
*-Levy increased by $111,000 from 2010 to 2011
**-2010 Budget was reduced by $1,022.54 from 2009 Certified Budget
***-2010 Budget was reduced by $501,588.32 from 2009 Certified Budget
7. December Settlement of Excise Tax for 2011. Bloomfield School District received the December settlement of Excise Tax for the 2011 budget on Thursday, December 22, 2011. Mr. Sichting prepared a table of a comparison of the 2011 Excise Tax settlement with the 2009 and 2010 budget totals. (See Attached)
8. December Settlement of Property Tax for 2011. On Thursday, December 22, 2011 Bloomfield School District received the December settlement of Property Tax for the 2011 budget. A table showing comparisons of the 2011 Property Tax settlement with the certified 2011 Tax levy was provided by the Superintendent. (See Attached)
9. Software for Classroom Instruction Data Approved for Purchase. It was recommended the Board approve a recommendation to purchase an annual license from Teachscape in the amount of eight hundred dollars ($800) for the Teachscape Classroom Walkthrough Data Collection Tool. (See Attached) Matt Miller moved to approve the recommendation. Bill Bond seconded the motion. Mr. Sichting explained the SEA 1 and SEA 575 mandate the use of data in the annual evaluation of teachers. He stated the money to make this purchase would be grant money so it would not be coming from the general fund. Mr. Sichting said that the Teachscape Tool allows the building principals and assistant principal to collect data on Bloomfield School District teachers in the following areas:
The software purchase was approved by a 7-0 vote.
10. Excellence in Teaching Performance Grant Application. It was recommended the Board approve the Excellence in Teaching Performance Grant for Bloomfield School District. (See Attached) Eric Moody moved to approve the recommendation as provided. Steve Dowden seconded the motion. Mr. Sichting explained that during the spring 2011 legislative session, the Indiana General Assembly established the “Excellence in Teacher Performance Grant” with an appropriation of six million ($6.0) dollars being established for the grant in 2011. An appropriation of nine million five hundred thousand ($9.5) was established for the grant in 2012. Due to the current contract between the Bloomfield School District and the Bloomfield Teacher’s Association expiring in June, 2013, Bloomfield School District is eligible to apply for grant proceeds from the 2011 grant. If Bloomfield School District is successful in receiving the grant, the grant proceeds would be utilized to provide cash awards to teachers receiving a “highly effective” or “effective” designation on a performance evaluation. Mr. Sichting said the “Excellence in Teacher Performance Grant” awards would not be made until the current collective bargaining agreement expires in June, 2013. If Bloomfield School District is successful receiving the grant, all “Excellence in Teaching Performance” cash awards are subject to the collective bargaining statutes. The motion passed by a 7-0 vote.
11. 2012 Special Education Funding Information. Superintendent Sichting shared with the Board that the monthly DOE SA 541 payment receives funding from multiple sources. He said the sources making up the monthly DOE SA 541 payment are:
Mr. Sichting gave more information on the 2012 Special Education Funding. (See Attached) The Restoration Grant and Small Schools Grant were eliminated during the 2011 legislative session. The student enrollment count to determine the Special Education component of the DOE SA 541 payment was taken on Friday, December 2, 2011. In the 2011budget, Bloomfield School District received three hundred forty one thousand four hundred twenty ($341,420) dollars in funding. In the 2012 budget, Bloomfield School District will received three hundred thirty thousand two hundred sixty nine ($330,269) dollars in Special Education funding. The difference in Special Education funding is a loss of eleven thousand one hundred fifty one ($11,151) dollars for 2012. The reason for the loss in funding is due to a drop in student enrollment in Special Education. Below is a comparison between student counts for 2011 and 2012:
12. 2011-2012 ECA Recommendations Approved. Board members were provided with ECA recommendations for the 2011-2012 school year from Mr. McBride, and/or Mr. Dean. Superintendent Sichting included his support of these recommendations. (See Attached) Steve Dowden moved to approve the entire list as follows:
Eric Moody seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
13. Board Approves Monetary Donation. Superintendent Sichting told board members a monetary donation had been made to Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School Strut-n-Fret club for lighting and rental equipment for the musical “Honk” from Big Picture Productions in the amount of $1,550.00. (See Attached) Mr. Sichting recommended acceptance of the donation in compliance with Board Policy #9510. Sandy May made a motion to accept the donation. Bill Bond seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
14. Board Approves Monetary Donation. Superintendent Sichting recommended acceptance of a donation made to the Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School Athletic Department in honor of Rob Kirk from the Human Resource Department at NSWC Crane in the amount of $200.00. (See Attached) Mr. Sichting reminded board members that all donations have to be approved by the Board in compliance with Board Policy #9510. Steve Dowden made a motion to accept the donation. Sandy May seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote. Mr. Sichting shared that Mr. Kirk’s mother had worked in the Human Resource Department at Crane. Mr. Dowden reminded those present that Mr. Kirk’s father, Bob Kirk was a past Bloomfield School District board member. Mr. Rob Kirk was a past Bloomfield High School student athletic who passed away recently.
15. Board Approves Exhibits 1 & 2 of the Employee Health Trust. It was recommended the Board approve Exhibit 1, Access Agreement and Exhibit 2, Business Associate Addendum with OptumHealth and Alliance Underwriters, LLC for participation in the Transplant Network. Steve Dowden moved to approve the recommendation. John Combs seconded the motion. Mr. Sichting explained that Bloomfield School District has a self-funded employee health benefit trust. He explained that the Access Agreement would allow the Trust to access the OptumHealth and Alliance Underwriters, LLC Transplant Network and receive transplant services at discounted prices and the Business Associate Addendum outlines acceptable disclosure of “Private Health Information” between the District and the Underwriters. The motion passed by a 7-0 vote.
16. Information on E-Verify System. Superintendent Sichting explained that during the 2011 legislative session, the Indiana General Assembly passed IC. 22-5-1.7 requiring all Indiana employers entering into an employment contract to verify the citizenship of the proposed employee. He said Bloomfield School District had maintained records concerning citizen status previously and that Treasurer Sue Pritts had maintained I-9 documentation and supporting documentation on full-time employees of Bloomfield School District. He explained the provisions of IC 22-5-1.7 would require the following changes for Bloomfield School District:
Bloomfield School District would become compliant with IC 22-5-1.7 at the onset of the beginning of second semester for 2011-2012.
17. Board Hears Reimbursement Level for Full Day Kindergarten Grant. The Indiana Department of Education recently announced the reimbursement level for Full Day Kindergarten for the 2011-2012 school year. The Full Day Kindergarten Reimbursement rate for 2011-2012 was $1,234.48 per student. Bloomfield School District chose not to participate in the grant program for Full Day Kindergarten for 2011-2012. As stated this spring, participation in the Full Day Kindergarten program would have required the employment of two (2) additional certified teachers and one (1) instructional assistant. The lowest calculated cost of the additional personnel was $125,197.91. Bloomfield School District 2011-2012 Kindergarten ADM was 38.5 students. The Full Day Kindergarten Grant would have generated $95,054.96 for Bloomfield School District. A deficit of $30,142.96 would need to have been generated through other sources such as parent fees.
18. Bloomfield School District 2012-2013 Calendar Proposals Reviewed. Superintendent Sichting told board members that administrators and the Teacher’s Association had been discussing the 2012-2013 school calendar. He provided copies of the proposed calendars for their review. (See Attached)
19. Adjournment. There being no further business Eric Moody moved to adjourn. Steve Dowden seconded the motion. The meeting was then adjourned by a 7-0 vote.
BLOOMFIELD SCHOOL DISTRICT – BOARD OF SCHOOL TRUSTEES
Attest: Secretary Superintendent of Schools