|Written by Bryce McGlothlin|
|Tuesday, 22 February 2011 10:51|
MINUTES OF REGULAR MEETING OF SCHOOL BOARD
OF BLOOMFIELD SCHOOL DISTRICT
June 25, 2009
The Board of School Trustees of the Bloomfield School District, of Greene County, Indiana, met in regular session on June 25, 2009, in the jr/sr high school conference room in Bloomfield Junior/Senior High School, 501 West Spring Street, Bloomfield, Indiana. The following school board members were present: John Combs, Steve Dowden, Doug Frye, Keith Hanauer, Marvin Helms, Dwayne Hostetter and Sandy May. President Helms called the meeting to order at approximately 7:00 p.m. The following order of business was transacted with the President presiding:
2. Approval of Minutes. The Board had been provided with minutes of the regular school board meeting held on May 28, 2009. Sandy May moved to approve the minutes of the regular board meetings held on May 28, 2009 beginning with the sentence: “The Board of School Trustees of the Bloomfield School District, of Greene County, Indiana, met in regular session on May 28, 2009, in the junior high school conference room in Bloomfield Junior/Senior High School, 501 West Spring Street, Bloomfield, Indiana” and ending with the sentence: “The meeting was then adjourned by a 6-0 vote”. Doug Frye seconded the motion. The motion passed by a 6-0-1 vote. John Combs abstained from voting because he was not in attendance at that board meeting.
3. Treasurer’s Report. The Board had been provided with the Treasurer’s Report, prepared by corporation treasurer Sue Pritts. Dwayne Hostetter moved to approve the May 31, 2009 Appropriation Report, beginning with Fund 0100 Program 11050.00 and Object 110.00 for Full Day Kindergarten Services through Fund 0600 Program 60100.00 and Object 910 for Special Education Preschool Fund Transfers and also the May 28, 2009 claims report beginning with voucher number 490 to Bloomfield State Bank and ending with voucher number 578 to 1st Security Insurance Agency. Steve Dowden seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
4. Board Hears Information on Wind Power and Wind Farms. A representative from Performance Services was present to give board members information on the advantages of wind power and wind farms.
5. DOE 54 Report for June 2009. Superintendent Sichting told the Board the state of Indiana did not provide a tuition support payment for any school district in the state of Indiana for the month of June. He said instead the federal stimulus funds from the state stabilization fund were released to school districts on June 8, 2009. He continued the school was instructed to deposit the funds in a separate Fiscal Stabilization Fund (7950) and these funds could not be transferred into the General Fund. He said funds would be spent in a manner to eliminate the need to duplicate all the expenditure accounts contained within the General Fund. Mr. Sichting provided board members with information from the IDOE concerning these stabilization funds. (See Attached)
6. Board Approves Resolution for Short-Term Transfer of Funds. It was recommended the Board approve a resolution authorizing a short-term transfer of funds from the Rainy Day Fund to the Debt Service and Retirement/Severance Bond Debt Service Funds. (See Attached) Steve Dowden moved to approve the recommendation. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion. Superintendent Sichting explained that this short-term transfer of funds is necessary due to a delay in receiving a June property tax settlement and having a bond debt payment due on June 30, 2009. He said the Rainy Day Fund would be paid back after receiving a property tax settlement in July or August.
7. School Receives Advanced Draw from Commercial Vehicle Excise Tax Receipts. Superintendent Sichting stated the District has received an advanced draw for Commercial Vehicle Excise Tax receipts. He provided the Board with a table illustrating the total receipts per fund received from the 2009 budget. (See Attached)
8. Tech Assistant Gets More Work Days. It was recommended the Board approve ten additional working days for Roger Doane, Tech Assistant for Bloomfield School District at a cost of $827.94. Mr. Sichting said the additional money would be paid out of the Capital Funds Budget. Keith Hanauer made a motion to approve the recommendation. Steve Dowden seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote. Mr. Sichting explained the District had purchased approximately thirty-one whiteboards to be installed in classrooms. He said the additional days for Mr. Doane would be for him to install and network the whiteboards.
9. Superintendent Gets Authorization to Use Educational Service Center Bus Bid Program. Superintendent Sichting asked the Board to allow him to utilize bids from the Wilson Educational Service Center to purchase a mini-bus for Bloomfield School District. (See Attached) Sandy May moved to approve the request. Dwayne Hostetter seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
10. Wayman Named Part-Time Band Teacher and Approved to Conduct Summer Band. It was recommended the Board approve Alissa Wayman as a part-time band teacher at Bloomfield School District effective June 22, 2009. The recommendation also included the employment of Mrs. Wayman for the Summer Band position at Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School. (See Attached) Sandy May moved to hire Mrs. Wayman for both positions as recommended. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
11. Abernathy Resigns as Athletic Director. Miss Monica Abernathy submitted her letter of resignation effective June 30, 2009. (See Attached) Steve Dowden moved to accept the resignation. Doug Frye seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote. The Board wished Miss Abernathy the best of luck in her future endeavors. Principal David Dean praised Miss Abernathy’s efforts and said she would be missed.
12. Special Education Teacher Resigns. It was recommended the Board accept the resignation of Mrs. Savilla Jones as a Mild Disabilities Special Education teacher at Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School. (Seer Attached) Mr. David Dean stated Mrs. Jones was a high quality teacher and would be missed. Doug Frye made a motion to accept the resignation. Sandy May seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
13. 2009-2010 ECA Recommendations Approved. Board members were provided with ECA recommendations for the 2009-2010 school year from Mrs. Vandeventer and/or Mr. Dean. (See Attached) Superintendent Sichting included his support of these recommendations. The recommendations were as follows:
Other School Sponsored Clubs (Elementary Math Bowl)
Fall Elementary Musical Assistant
Fall Elementary Musical Director
High School Vocal Music
High School Major Musical/Play Director
Junior High Musical Director
Strut & Fret Sponsor
Girl’s Tennis Coach
Booster Club Sponsor
Business Professionals of America (B.P.A.)
Boy’s Track (Grades 7-8)
Boy’s Cross Country (Grades 7-12)
Golf (Grades 9-12)
Senior Class Sponsor
Boy’s Track (Grades 7-12)
Junior High Musical Lights
Elementary Musical Lights (2 Productions)
Chess Club Sponsor
Junior High Art Club
Cultural Cooking Club (Other School Sponsored Clubs)
Keith Hanauer made a motion to approve the recommendations. Dwayne Hostetter seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0-1 vote. Mr. Combs abstained from voting on this item.
14. 2009-2010 Bloomfield Elementary School Improvement Committee Appointments Confirmed. Mrs. Vandeventer provided the Board with appointments to the School Improvement Committee for the Bloomfield Elementary School, which had been approved by the teacher’s association. She named Susan Riggs, Kathy Neill, Mandy McIntosh, Susie Goodman, Claudia Crane, and Mary Stalcup to serve on that committee for the 2009-2010 school year.
15. 2009-2010 Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School Improvement Committee Appointments Confirmed. Mr. Dean provided the Board with appointments to the School Improvement Committee for the Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School, which had been approved by the teacher’s association. He named Kyle von Almen to serve as chairman of the committee and Loren Hadley, Nancy Hudson, Kristie Bladen, Lori Burch, and Christina Crane to serve as committee members for the 2009-2010 school year.
16. Board Hires Coordinator of Health Services. It was recommended the Board hire Mrs. Stormie Robinette to fill the position of Coordinator of Health Services in Bloomfield School District. (See Attached) Keith Hanauer made a motion to hire Mrs. Robinette per Mr. Sichting’s recommendation. Sandy May seconded the motion. Mr. Sichting explained that the state of Indiana requires school corporations to employ one registered nurse with an Associate’s Degree as the Coordinator of Health Services per district. He said Mrs. Robinette has a Bachelor of Science degree and is a registered nurse in the state of Indiana. Mrs. Robinette was present to receive the Board’s welcome.
17. Jr/Sr High School Counselor Hired. It was recommended the Board hire Mrs. Tiffany Raidy as the counselor of Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School. (See Attached) Dwayne Hostetter moved to hire Mrs. Raidy per the recommendation. John Combs seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote. Mr. Sichting said Mrs. Raidy is a licensed school counselor in the state of Indiana.
18. Cheerleaders Approved for Overnight Field Trip. It was recommended the Board approve an overnight field trip for the Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School Varsity and Junior Varsity Cheerleaders to Vincennes University for the period of July 7th through July 10, 2009 to attend cheer champ. Doug Frye made a motion to approve the field trip as recommended. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
19. 2009-2010 Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School Improvement Plan and Professional Development Grant Application Presentation Made. Mr. Dean gave each board member a copy of the Jr/Sr High School Improvement Plan as well as the Jr/Sr High School Professional Development Grant Application. Mr. Dean gave a brief explanation about each one.
20. 2008-2009 Bloomfield Elementary Dibels and Aquity Assessments. Elementary principal Mary Jane Vandeventer presented information and results of the 2008-2009 Dibels and Aquity assessments for Bloomfield Elementary School. (See Attached)
21. July 4th Fireworks to be Held on School Grounds. It was recommended the Board approve a request to hold the Bloomfield Chamber of Commerce’s annual Fourth of July fireworks display on Bloomfield School District’s outdoor athletic facilities. Steve Dowden moved to approve the request. Sandy May seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
22. Board Votes to Accept Loan of Chemical Fume Hood from Educational Loan Program from NSW Crane. It was recommended the Board authorize Superintendent Dan Sichting to accept an educational loan from NSW Crane for a Chemical Fume Hood to be used in the Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School Chemistry Lab. Mr. Sichting explained that NSW Crane has a program allowing loan of unused equipment to educational agencies. He said the equipment remains the property of NSW Crane, but will be on loan in the Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School Chemistry Lab. Sandy May moved to approve the recommendation. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
23. 2009-2010 Bloomfield Elementary School Improvement Plan and Professional Development Grant Application Presentation Made. Ms. Vandeventer gave each board member a copy of the Bloomfield Elementary School Improvement Plan as well as the Elementary School Professional Development Grant Application. (See Attached) Ms. Vandeventer gave a brief explanation about each one.
24. Junior High Cheerleader Overnight Camp Approved. It was recommended the Board approve an overnight lock-in of the Junior High Cheerleaders on June 19th in the upstairs balcony of the Glover Gymnasium. (See Attached) Steve Dowden made a motion to approve the field trip as requested. Doug Frye seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
25. Superintendent Provides Information on New Laws Affecting the District. Superintendent Dan Sichting explained to board members news laws passed by the Indiana General Assembly that impact school districts. (See Attached) He said House Enrolled Act 1462 had been updated to include a requirement for expanded criminal history checks to be completed on all applicants for school employment, effective July 1, 2009. Mr. Sichting informed the Board of House Enrolled Act 1339 which was updated to include requiring any driver of a special purpose bus of 15 and fewer capacity to have a physical examination on file with the District.
26. Superintendent Speaks on Proposed Budget Changes by Governor Daniels. Mr. Sichting said that in the Senate version of the budget proposed by Governor Daniels Bloomfield School District, over two years, would lose $243,187 worth of revenue from what was received in revenue in 2008. He said if that happens costs would have to be cut. Mr. Sichting said the House version was a one year budget that would give the District an increase in revenue money. He said the message the state is putting out is that they do not have the money to support what has been funded in the past. Mr. Sichting reminded board members that cuts would more than likely have to be made.
27. More Recognitions. David Dean recognized the FFA program for recently attending the State Convention at Purdue and also FFA camp in Trafalgar Indiana. He also announced that athletic summer camps were well attended. Superintendent Sichting reminded board members he would need to know if they plan to attend the ISBA Summer Board Academy as soon as possible.
28. Adjournment. There being no further business Doug Frye moved to adjourn. Sandy May seconded the motion. The meeting was then adjourned by a 7-0 vote.