|Written by Bryce McGlothlin|
|Tuesday, 22 February 2011 10:33|
MINUTES OF REGULAR MEETING OF SCHOOL BOARD
OF BLOOMFIELD SCHOOL DISTRICT
August 30, 2007
The Board of School Trustees of the Bloomfield School District, of Greene County, Indiana, met in regular session on August 30, 2007, in the jr/sr high school conference room in Bloomfield Junior/Senior High School, 501 West Spring Street, Bloomfield, Indiana. The following school board members were present: Steve Dowden, Doug Frye, Keith Hanauer, Marvin Helms, Robert Kirk, Sandra Parkes May and Eric Moody. President Moody called the meeting to order at approximately 7:00 p.m. The following order of business was transacted with the President presiding:
1. Board Votes to Amend Agenda. President Moody asked that item #7-A, Hire Athletic Director, be removed from the agenda. The President also asked the Board to move item #10-B, Performance Services Presentation, up to the beginning of the meeting. Keith Hanauer moved to approve the changes to the agenda as requested. Marvin Helms seconded the motion. During discussion time Mr. Kirk stated he felt his vote wasn’t going to be heard and voiced his disagreement with removing item #7-A from the evening’s agenda. The motion passed by a 5-2 vote. Robert Kirk and Doug Frye cast the nay votes. After the presentation from Performance Services, Keith Hanauer made a motion to amend the previous motion to add item #7-I, Interim Athletic Director Recommendation, and item #7-D, Hire Long-Term Substitute Teacher (2). Steve Dowden seconded the motion, which passed by a 5-2 vote. Robert Kirk and Doug Frye cast the nay votes.
2. Board Hears Presentation From Performance Services. Superintendent Sichting asked Mr. Steve Thoman, spokesman for Performance Services, to speak to the Board on details of the process of upcoming renovations to Bloomfield Elementary scheduled for the summer of 2008. Board members were allowed to ask specific questions of Mr. Thoman, who was able to answer and also help to make clear any concerns the Board had. President Moody thanked Mr. Thoman for his time.
3. Recognitions. Bob Kirk recognized Superintendent Sichting and his staff for doing an outstanding job during the bomb threat. Mr. Parsley thanked his teachers for a smooth start to the school year. He also recognized Mrs. Joyce Thomas who was retiring. Mary Jane Vandeventer also praised her elementary teachers for an excellent start to the school year. Mrs. Vandeventer also announced that the elementary had received an Early Intervention Grant, stated that ISTEP testing would begin soon, and recognized Mrs. Susie Goodman for being selected to attend and give a presentation at a National conference in Denver soon. Superintendent Sichting praised administrators, teaching staff, parents, students and community members for the smooth evacuation of the building during the recent bomb threat and for conducting a “normal” school day the next day after the bomb threat. He also recognized Mr. Parsley, Mrs. Royal, Mrs. Vandeventer, Allen Toon, Harold Holtsclaw, Roger Kennedy, Michael Hayes, Jeff Emery, and Susan Street for their actions during the bomb threat. Mr. Sichting recognized Mrs. Susie Goodman for successfully receiving funds through the Early Intervention Grant. He shared that because of Mrs. Goodman’s efforts more students are going to know how to read. Mr. Sichting made other recognitions to Kelli Vandeventer for her efforts on balancing busloads, Harold Holtsclaw along with his custodian staff, and Allen Toon and his maintenance staff for getting the buildings ready for the start of school. He also recognized Michelle Mattox, Allen Toon and Roger Doane for their hard work in getting new computer labs up and running for the beginning of school. Mr. Sichting also acknowledged Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School art teacher, Deb Johnson, for the beautiful murals painted on the walls on the east side of Bloomfield. He also praised Mr. Parsley, Mrs. Royal and Mrs. Vandeventer for creating a smooth start of school for students and staff. Lastly, Mr. Sichting applauded the Bloomfield Volunteer Fire Department and the Richland Taylor Volunteer Fire Department along with the Indiana State Police, Greene County Sheriff Department, and Bloomfield Town Police for their efforts during the bomb threat. He said that sometimes we take the protection our community receives from our fire fighters and policemen for granted and he commended them for their actions.
4. Approval of Minutes. The Board had been provided with minutes of the regular school board and special meeting both held on July 26, 2007, and the special meeting and executive session both held on August 9, 2007, and the special meeting and executive session both held on August 22, 2007, which had been prepared by corporation recording secretary Kelli Vandeventer. Robert Kirk moved to approve the minutes as presented. Marvin Helms seconded the motion. The minutes were approved by a 6-0-1 vote. Keith Hanauer abstained from voting because he was not in attendance at all of the meetings presented for board approval.
5. Treasurer’s Report. The Board had been provided with the Treasurer’s Report, prepared by corporation treasurer Sue Pritts, consisting of the Appropriation Report and Claims Listing Report. Upon motion duly made by Marvin Helms and seconded by Keith Hanauer, the Board by a 7-0 vote approved the Treasurer’s Report. Mr. Kirk said he appreciated the explanation Mr. Sichting had prepared for the Board on the claims.
6. Public Hearing on the 2008 Budget, Capital Projects Plan, and School Bus Replacement Plan. A public hearing was conducted on the 2008 Budget. There were no comments made concerning the 2008 Budget.
7. Board Hears Information on Property Tax Revenue and Excise Tax Revenue for 2007 Budget. Superintendent Sichting told the Board that the District received the first installment of property tax revenue and excise tax revenue for the 2007 budget. He said that no shortfall of revenue had been identified. (See Attached Information)
8. Indiana Early Intervention Grant Executed. It was recommended the Board authorize the Superintendent to execute the agreement with the Indiana Department of Education for the Indiana Early Intervention Grant in the amount of $48,821. (See Attached) Steve Dowden moved to authorize the Superintendent to execute the agreement per the recommendation. Sandy May seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
9. Adult Education Grant Received. Superintendent Sichting told the Board that on June 11, 2007 he had been notified by the Indiana Department of Education that the adult education allocation for the district during the 2007 Summer/Fall term is $8,801.99. (See Attached) He said that the adult education money is flow through grant money provided to Turning Point Educational Center to provide adult basic education services for Bloomfield students.
10. Part-Time Maintenance Employee Approved. It was recommended the Board approve the employment of Kenny Hinkle for a period not to exceed fifty (50) hours at $6.50 per hour. Superintendent Sichting explained that Mr. Hinkle, a Bloomfield jr/sr high school student, worked as a summer employee for the district. Mr. Toon would like to use Mr. Hinkle to finish some projects this fall needing attention. Steve Dowden moved to approve the recommendation. Marvin Helms seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
11. Bloomfield Administrators Receive Contracts Extensions. It was recommended that the Board approve contract extensions for administrators for the 2008-2009 school year. The recommended extensions should be listed as: Greg Parsley, July 1, 2008-June 30, 2009 for 230 days; Stella Turner Royal, August 1, 2008-July 31, 2009 for 200 days; Mary Jane Vandeventer, August 1, 2008-July 31, 2009 for 200 days; and Dan Sichting, July 1, 2009-June 30, 2010 for 260 days. (See Attached) Keith Hanauer made a motion to approve the recommendation. Sandy May seconded the motion. Doug Frye stated he thought Mr. Sichting’s extension should wait until after his evaluation was completed. Mr. Hanauer amended his motion to exclude Mr. Sichting’s extension until after his evaluation was completed. Mrs. May seconded the amended motion. All administrators contract extensions with the exception of Mr. Sichting’s were passed by a 7-0 vote.
12. Long-Term Substitute Teacher Hired at Bloomfield Elementary. It was recommended the Board hire Mrs. Cassie Collins as a long-term substitute teacher at Bloomfield Elementary School effective August 20, 2007 until Fall Break. (See attached) Mr. Sichting said that Mrs. Collins would be filling in for a maternity leave for Mrs. Jan Abrams, a Bloomfield Elementary School Special Education teacher. Marvin Helms moved to approve the recommendation. Steve Dowden seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
13. Board Approves Hiring Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School Long-Term Substitute Teacher. It was recommended the Board hire Ms. Rachel Kearney for a long-term substitute teaching position for English/Language Arts at Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School effective August 27, 2007. (See Attached) Mr. Sichting said that Ms. Kearney would be substitute teaching for a member of the jr/sr high school English department who is having health complications. Robert Kirk moved to approve the recommendation. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote. Superintendent Sichting wished the best for the ailing teacher and a speedy recovery.
14. Board Accepts Resignation of PL 221 Member/Chairman. Superintendent Sichting recommended the Board accept the resignation request of Mr. Chris Mattox as the PL 221 School Improvement Committee Member/Chairman. (See Attached) Mr. Sichting told the Board this request was made due to family obligations with Mr. Mattox’s terminally ill father-in-law. Marvin Helms moved to approve the recommendation. Sandy May seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
15. School Improvement Committee Appointment Named. Superintendent Sichting told the Board that the Bloomfield Teacher’s Association had appointed Mrs. Lori Burch to fill the vacancy on the Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School Improvement Committee. (See Attached)
16. 2007-2008 ECA Recommendations Approved. Board members were provided with ECA recommendations for the 2007-2008 school year from Mr. Parsley. Superintendent Sichting included his support of these recommendations. Kayla Hale was recommended to serve as Spanish Club Sponsor, Lauren Bohnert as Jr. Class Sponsor, Julie Evans as Jr. High Student Council Sponsor, Christina Crane as Jr. Class Sponsor, Sally Neill as 7th/8th& 9th Grade Cheerleader Sponsor, and Laura McIntosh as 5th & 6th Grade Girls’ Basketball Coach. Keith Hanauer moved to approve the recommendations. Sandy May seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
17. Board Hires Distance Learning Instructional Aide. It was recommended the Board employ Mrs. Cinda Williams as a Distance Learning Aide at Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School effective August 20, 2007. Sandy May moved to approve the recommendation. Steve Dowden seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote. Mr. Sichting told the Board that this position is part-time involving less than twenty-five (25) hours per week with no benefits. He said that Mrs. Williams’ responsibility will be to supervise students in the Distance Learning Lab taking college credit via distance learning from Vincennes University.
18. Board Tables Naming Interim Athletic Director. It was recommended the Board name Greg Parsley as interim Athletics Director at Bloomfield School District for the 2007-2008 school year. Keith Hanauer made a motion to approve the recommendation. Sandy May seconded the motion. Doug Frye voiced his displeasure with the way in which the process of naming an athletic director had proceeded. Steve Dowden read a prepared statement containing his feelings about the process and said he felt that Mr. Sichting had every right to change his recommendation any time before the board meeting. After much discussion, Mr. Hanauer amended his original motion to reflect tabling the recommendation. Sandy May seconded that motion. This item was tabled by the Board with a 7-0 vote.
19. Overnight Student Leadership Academy Field Trip Approved. It was recommended the Board approve an overnight field trip for the Student Leadership Academy on September 13, 2007 and September 14, 2007. (See Attached) Robert Kirk moved to approve the recommendation. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
20. Out-of-State NJROTC Field Trip Approved. It was recommended the Board approve an out-of-state field trip for the Bloomfield NJROTC unit to travel to Wright-Patterson Air Force Base on Saturday, November 17, 2007. (See Attached) Robert Kirk made a motion to approve the field trip as requested. Sandy May seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
21. Out-of-State and Overnight NJROTC Field Trip Approved. It was recommended the Board approve an out-of-state, overnight field trip for the Bloomfield NJROTC unit for October 22-29, 2007, to Panama City, Florida. Keith Hanauer moved to approve the recommendation. Sandy May seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
22. Class Offering Approval for Class Size Policy Accepted. Superintendent Sichting brought a request for approval of class size lists of class offerings for the 2007-2008 school year. (See Attached) Mr. Sichting explained that the school has a policy that establishes class sizes for grades K-6 and for Math, Science, Social Studies, and English at the secondary level. He continued that in March of 2002 the Board added a requirement that classes in the above areas outside the class size range required board approval. Sandy May moved to approve the class offerings lists as presented. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
23. Board Declares Equipment Surplus. The Board was provided with a list of items to declare surplus for the purpose of their disposal. (See Attached) Superintendent Sichting recommended that the Board declare the equipment surplus. Sandy May made a motion to approve the recommendation. Marvin Helms seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
24. Board Approves Executive Agreement With the Town of Bloomfield. It was recommended the Board approve an agreement with the Town of Bloomfield empowering the town to regulate by ordinance the parking of vehicles and the traffic at and upon the real estate owned by the School. Superintendent Sichting said that Todd Corn had revised the document at his direction to include some major concerns voiced by board members. He said this would be in full force and effect for a period of three (3) years. (See Attached) Keith Hanauer moved to approve the Agreement. Steve Dowden seconded the motion. The Agreement was approved by a 5-2 vote. Doug Frye and Robert Kirk cast the nay votes.
25. 2007-2008 Bloomfield School District Preliminary ADM Numbers. Superintendent Sichting shared information on Average Daily Membership (ADM) for Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School and Bloomfield Elementary School. (See attached)
26. Public Comments. Rick Hudson thanked the Board, Mr. Sichting, Administrators, and Screening Committee for the time they had put into the process of naming an athletic director. Mr. Hudson stated that he understood that he was not guaranteed the job until after the Board votes. He offered to meet again with members of the Board if they want to. Mr. Hudson told the Board that he was still very much interested in the athletic director position. President Moody thanked Mr. Hudson for his comments.
27. Adjournment. There being no further business Robert Kirk moved to adjourn. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion. The meeting was then adjourned by a 7-0 vote.