|Written by Bryce McGlothlin|
|Tuesday, 22 February 2011 10:30|
MINUTES OF REGULAR MEETING OF SCHOOL BOARD
OF BLOOMFIELD SCHOOL DISTRICT
March 22, 2007
The Board of School Trustees of the Bloomfield School District, of Greene County, Indiana, met in regular session on March 22, 2007, in the jr/sr high school conference room in Bloomfield Junior/Senior High School, 501 West Spring Street, Bloomfield, Indiana. The following school board members were present: Steve Dowden, Doug Frye, Keith Hanauer, Marvin Helms, Robert Kirk, Sandra Parkes May and Eric Moody. President Dowden called the meeting to order at approximately 7:00 p.m. The following order of business was transacted with the President presiding:
1. Recognitions. Athletic Director Andy Ross recognized five Bloomfield basketball athletes that were selected to be on the SWIAC All Conference teams. Those chosen were Tyler Nickels, Jessica Stout, Abie Gilliland, Brooke Myers, and Siera Fuller. NJROTC instructor Senior Chief Tom Tippery shared recent awards earned by NJROTC students in various categories. Elementary principal Mary Jane Vandeventer told the Board that elementary teachers recently held over 140 parent teacher conferences. Mrs. Vandeventer informed the Board on several student activities in the elementary including being chosen by the Indiana Governor as a Governor Fitness School, an upcoming visit from Indiana Fever and jump-a-thon. Jr/sr high school principal Greg Parsley recognized the NJROTC program, SADD, Choral Groups and Jump-a-thon. Mr. Parsley also recognized student David Hestand for an outstanding job competing in the Herald Times Spelling Bee recently. He also shared that David Hestand and Michelle Holtz recently competed in the Reader’s Digest Word Power Challenge held in Whiteland. Principal Parsley also announced that Ben Helms was Teacher of the Month.
2. Approval of Minutes. The Board had been provided with minutes of the executive session, and regular school board meeting both held on February 22, 2007, which had been prepared by corporation recording secretary Kelli Vandeventer. Keith Hanauer moved to approve the minutes as presented. Robert Kirk seconded the motion. The minutes were approved by a 7-0 vote.
3. Treasurer’s Report. The Board had been provided with the Treasurer’s Report, prepared by corporation treasurer Sue Pritts, consisting of the Appropriation Report and Claims Listing Report. Upon motion duly made by Eric Moody and seconded by Keith Hanauer, the Board by a 7-0 vote approved the Treasurer’s Report.
4. Board Hears Update on 2007 Budget Order and Certified Tax Rates. Superintendent Sichting prepared an update for the Board on the 2007 Budget Order and Certified Tax Rates. He said that Greene County had yet to finalize trended property values for 2007. Mr. Sichting said on Wednesday, March 21st he had spoken with Bob Harris of the Indiana Department of Local Government Finance and was told that Mr. Harris was going to approve the TIF Neutralization Study that same day and return it to Greene County officials which would allow them to certify the property values. He continued that after the property values are certified then a budget order can be forth coming. Mr. Harris indicated to Mr. Sichting that the time lapse between when the property values are certified and the budget order being completed would be approximately five weeks.
5. Board Authorizes Receipt of Indiana Technology Grant. It was recommended that the Board authorize the receipt of an Indiana Technology Planning Grant in the amount of $66,838.00. Superintendent Sichting said that his office had recently been notified of the school district’s eligibility to receive a technology planning grant in the amount of $66,838.00. He said that as a result of the grant, Bloomfield School District would install an average of 28 computers in three high school English/Language Arts classrooms. Mr. Sichting shared that installation of computers in two high school classrooms would begin this summer with the third classroom receiving their computer installation possibly over the 2007 Winter Vacation or the 2008 summer recess. Keith Hanauer moved to approve the recommendation. Sandy May seconded the motion. Superintendent Sichting commended Mr. Chris Mattox and his wife Michelle for traveling to Bloomington North to see these types of computers in operation to make sure they would be a good thing for Bloomfield Schools. The motion passed by a 7-0 vote.
6. 2007 Summer School Program Approved. Board members were provided with the 2007 Summer School Estimated Instructional Cost Report and List of Courses by Mr. Parsley. (See attached) Superintendent Sichting recommended approval. Marvin Helms moved to approve the recommendation. Eric Moody seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
7. Short Term Security Officers Hired. Superintendent Sichting recommended that the Board hire off duty Bloomfield town police officers for the last month of school at the rate of $11.62 per hour, which is a .12-cent increase over last year. Mr. Sichting told the Board that for the past several years the district had employed off duty police officers to provide additional security during the last month of school. Keith Hanauer moved to approve the recommendation. Eric Moody seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-1 vote. Mr. Frye cast the nay vote.
8. NJROTC Instructor Annual Certification and Contract Approved. It was recommended that the Board authorize the administration to sign the JROTC INSTRUCTOR ANNUAL CERTIFICATION OF PAY AND DATA FORM (See attached) and Contract for the 2007-2008 school year. Mr. Sichting’s recommendation said that Bloomfield’s NJROTC program had been an asset to the Bloomfield School District and brings pride to the students, school and community. He said it is well received by our students and the student participation remains high. This group has been recognized at all levels for their achievement in physical training, academics, and military drill teams. Marvin Helms moved to approve the recommendation. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
9. ECA Recommendations Approved. Board members were provided with ECA recommendations for the 2006-2007 school year from Mr. Parsley and/or Mr. Ross. Superintendent Sichting included his support of these recommendations. The recommendations were to name Joe Pegg as Junior Varsity Baseball Coach, and Tucker Evans as Assistant Baseball Coach. Sandy May moved to approve the recommendations as presented. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
10. Long Term Substitute Teacher Hired. It was recommended that the Board employ Melinda Ellis to fill a maternity leave at Bloomfield Elementary School. Mr. Sichting said that Miss Ellis would fill a maternity leave for Grade 6 and would be paid teacher rate of pay after successfully completing fifteen (15) consecutive days at substitute rate of pay. Marvin Helms moved to approve the recommendation. Doug Frye seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
11. Long Term Substitute Teacher Hired. It was recommended that the Board employ Brittany Nicholson to fill a maternity leave at Bloomfield Elementary School. Mr. Sichting said that Mrs. Nicholson would fill a maternity leave for Grade 2 and would be paid teacher rate of pay after successfully completing fifteen (15) consecutive days at substitute rate of pay. Marvin Helms moved to approve the recommendation. Robert Kirk seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
12. Board Approves NJROTC Summer Field Trips. It was recommended that the Board approve Mr. Parsley’s request for summer overnight field trips for Bloomfield High School’s NJROTC to Civilian Marksmanship Program; June 25-29, 2007 at Western Kentucky University in Bowling Green, Kentucky, to Basic Leadership Training; June 24-30, 2007 in Marseilles, Illinois, and to Leadership Academy; June 17-23, 2007 in Great Lakes, Illinois. Eric Moody moved to approve the trips as requested. Robert Kirk seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
13. Board Policy Second Reading and Adoption Held. Second reading was held on one (1) school board policy. #5410, Promotion, Placement, and Retention was presented to the Board for second reading and adoption. (See attached) Keith Hanauer moved to approve the policy as presented. Sandy May seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
14. 2007-2008 School Calendar Approved. Superintendent Sichting presented board members with a proposed 2007-2008 school calendar for their consideration. (See attached) Mr. Sichting told the Board that the calendar had been through the discussion process with the Bloomfield Teachers Association. He recommended approval. Robert Kirk moved to approve the 2007-2008 school calendar as presented. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
15. Elementary Textbook Adoption Approved. Elementary principal Mary Jane Vandeventer presented the Board with her recommendation for the Elementary Reading and Handwriting Textbook Adoption for 2006-2013. (See attached) Mr. Sichting included his approval. Sandy May moved to approve the elementary textbook adoption as recommended. Eric Moody seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote. The superintendent thanked all involved with the adoption process.
16. Insurance Committee Update. Superintendent Sichting gave the Board an informative update on the activities of the insurance committee. He said that since November the committee had been monitoring the school’s loss ratio of the health insurance. He shared that the school is looking at a rate premium increase due to the loss ratio going up in recent months. Mr. Sichting said that the committee had been given several ideas of ways to maintain a rate hold on the present health insurance premium. Mr. Doug Cassman suggested reducing the reinsurance amount from 125% to 120% and also to increase the cost of co-pays for prescription drugs. Mr. Sichting said the committee would be looking at these options to try to keep the cost of the health insurance plan at the present rate.
17. Board Hears Feasibility Steering Committee Update. Bloomfield School District Feasibility Steering Committee member Rick Hudson gave the Board an update on the committee’s most recent work. Mr. Hudson summarized the committee’s progress in four steps. Step one was when Mr. Sichting and staff began looking at the heating, cooling, and electrical issues that needed to be addressed. During step two Performance Services was called in to do an extensive site survey of the school facilities. After that Mr. Steve Thoman, Business Development Manager, and Chris Rainey, Engineering Manager gave the feasibility committee members an overview of the problems uncovered during the site survey along with proposed solutions and preliminary cost estimates. Step three included reviewing the firm’s report and recommending that the Board pursue remodeling the current school facilities while maintaining a stable tax rate. During step four bids would be submitted for the work. Mr. Hudson concluded by thanking Mr. Sichting and the school board for allowing the committee to serve the board and the Bloomfield community. President Dowden thanked Mr. Hudson for his update. (See attached)
18. Bloomfield School District Cafeteria Audit and Inspection Report. Superintendent Sichting told the Board that a representative from the Indiana Department of Education’s Division of School and Community Nutrition Programs recently conducted a site visit for the Bloomfield Elementary cafeteria and Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School cafeteria. He congratulated Mrs. Jana McIntosh, Cafeteria Supervisor, and her staff for being found in compliance in all evaluated areas. (See attached)
19. Adjournment. There being no further business Robert Kirk moved to adjourn. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion. The meeting was then adjourned by a 7-0 vote.