|Written by Bryce McGlothlin|
|Tuesday, 22 February 2011 10:27|
MINUTES OF REGULAR MEETING OF SCHOOL BOARD
OF BLOOMFIELD SCHOOL DISTRICT
January 25, 2007
The Board of School Trustees of the Bloomfield School District, of Greene County, Indiana, met in regular session on January 25, 2007, in the jr/sr high school conference room in Bloomfield Junior/Senior High School, 501 West Spring Street, Bloomfield, Indiana. The following school board members were present: Steve Dowden, Doug Frye, Keith Hanauer, Marvin Helms, Robert Kirk, Sandra Parkes May and Eric Moody. President Dowden called the meeting to order at approximately 7:00 p.m. The following order of business was transacted with the President presiding:
1. Recognitions. Mary Jane Vandeventer recognized Mrs. Jenny Medina’s 6th grade Math classes for undertaking a fitness program in which they walk and collect pledges to donate to local agencies including the Family Life Center. Mrs. Vandeventer said that to date they have collected close to $2,000. Mrs. Vandeventer also invited everyone to attend Grandparents Day sponsored by the Bloomfield PTO on February 3rd in the elementary cafeteria. Mr. Parsley thanked Rich Walls for his donation of lumber for a new shed being built by students in the new construction technology class. He also recognized Ben Helms and his agriculture students for work they had recently completed repairing bleachers at the North Side Softball Diamonds. Mr. Parsley also announced that Mrs. Margaret Osmon was the January Teacher of the Month. He shared that Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School’s 94.4% Graduation Rate is due largely in part to the work of Mrs. Osmon. Mr. Parsley invited everyone to attend the upcoming NJROTC Inspection on February 1st. Mr. Parsley also announced that senior night for the girls’ basketball program was soon to be held and praised the girls for a great season. Athletic director Andy Ross echoed Mr. Parsley’s praise of the girl’s basketball season and added that their recent win against North Daviess made them 7-0 SWIAC champions.
2. Approval of Minutes. The Board had been provided with minutes of the regular school board meeting held on December 28, 2006, which had been prepared by corporation recording secretary Kelli Vandeventer. Doug Frye moved to approve the minutes as presented. Robert Kirk seconded the motion. The minutes were approved by a 5-0-2 vote. Keith Hanauer and Marvin Helms abstained from voting since they were not present at the meeting.
3. Treasurer’s Report. The Board had been provided with the Treasurer’s Report, prepared by corporation treasurer Sue Pritts, consisting of the Appropriation Report and Claims Listing Report. Upon motion duly made by Eric Moody and seconded by Marvin Helms, the Board by a 7-0 vote approved the Treasurer’s Report.
4. Transfer of Appropriations for 2006 Budget Approved. Superintendent Sichting provided the Board with a report from the district treasurer showing transfers within and among both minor and major categories in all funds in order to allow for expenditures to close out the 2006 budget. It was recommended that the Board of School Trustees accept the report as presented. (See attached) Marvin Helms moved to approve the report. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
5. Board Authorizes Negotiations on Insurance Renewal Premiums. It was recommended that the school board authorize the Superintendent to direct Educational Services to negotiate a renewal rate for health insurance premiums with Dunn and Associates. Superintendent Sichting explained that during the October 26, 2006 regular school board meeting, the board authorized the Superintendent to contract Educational Services to facilitate a forum with employee groups concerning trends and changes within health insurance programs across the state of Indiana. He continued that the insurance committee has requested pricing concerning minimal changes to our health insurance coverage. Educational Services would negotiate a renewal premium rate with Dunn and Associates. This renewal and changes associated with the renewal are subject to the laws associated with collective bargaining in the state of Indiana. Superintendent Sichting said the Board would have final approval of pricing and all changes associated with changes to health coverage. Eric Moody moved to approve the recommendation. Robert Kirk seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
6. Cafeteria I Worker Approved for Maternity Leave. Superintendent Sichting recommended that the Board approve a maternity leave for April Ranard, who is a full-time Cafeteria I worker, retroactive to January 19th. Eric Moody moved to approve the leave. Sandy May seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
7. Cafeteria II Worker Approved for Maternity Leave. Superintendent Sichting recommended that the Board approve a maternity leave for Marie Hasler, who is a part-time Cafeteria II worker. Mrs. Hasler’s leave will start approximately on February 18, 2007 and extend 6 weeks beyond the date of the birth. Robert Kirk moved to approve the recommendation. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
8. 2006-2007 ECA Recommendations Considered. Board members were provided with a list of ECA recommendations for the 2006-2007 school year. (See attached) Eric Moody moved to approve the hiring of Amy Gilmore as Girls’ Track (Grades 7-8) Coach, Loren Hadley as Girls’ Track (Grades 7-12) Coach, Lauren Bohnert as Assistant Softball Coach, and Larry Zschiedrich as a Volunteer Assistant Softball Coach. Sandy May seconded the motion. The motion was approved by a 7-0 vote.
9. Student Leadership Academy Overnight Field Trip Approved. It was recommended that the Board approve Mr. Parsley’s request for an overnight field trip for the Bloomfield High School’s student Leadership Academy (TSLA) students to Bloomington, Indiana on February 8, 2007. Sandy May moved to approve the trip. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
10. NJROTC Overnight Field Trip Approved. It was recommended that the Board approve Mr. Parsley’s request for an overnight field trip for Bloomfield High School’s NJROTC to Indianapolis, Indiana for February 16, 2007 and February 17, 2007. Robert Kirk moved to approve the trip as requested. Eric Moody seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
11. Information Given in Accordance with the Indiana Open Door Law. Superintendent Sichting asked that the minutes reflect receipt of requests for all notices of meetings of the Board, including executive sessions, for the calendar year 2007 from WTWO, Fox 38 WFXW, and The Herald-Times. Mr. Sichting stated that in accordance with the Indiana Open Door Law, Bloomfield School District would provide notice of all meetings to the above listed media along with the local Daily World and The Free Press.
12. Presentation Given on 2006-2007 ISTEP+ Test Results. Elementary principal Mary Jane Vandeventer gave an informative power point presentation on the 2006-2007 ISTEP+ test results for Bloomfield Elementary. Jr/Sr High School Principal Greg Parsley gave an update of the 2006-2007 ISTEP+ test results for Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School.
13. Board Hears Report on Facility Feasibility Steering Committee. Randall Burcham gave an informative report from the Facility Feasibility Steering Committee.
14. Adjournment. There being no further business Keith Hanauer moved to adjourn. Robert Kirk seconded the motion. The meeting was then adjourned by a 7-0 vote.