|Written by Bryce McGlothlin|
|Tuesday, 22 February 2011 10:14|
MINUTES OF REGULAR MEETING OF SCHOOL BOARD
OF BLOOMFIELD SCHOOL DISTRICT
September 29, 2005
The Board of School Trustees of the Bloomfield School District, of Greene County, Indiana, met in regular session on September 29, 2005, in the jr/sr high school conference room in Bloomfield Junior/Senior High School, 501 West Spring Street, Bloomfield, Indiana. The following school board members were present: Peggi Blakley, Nancy Canty, Steve Dowden, Keith Hanauer, Marvin Helms, Robert Kirk and Eric Moody. President Dowden called the meeting to order at approximately 7:00 p.m. The following order of business was transacted with the President presiding:
1. Recognitions. Jr/Sr High School principal Greg Parsley announced that Mrs. Diane Wilson was Teacher of the Month. Mr. Parsley also announced that there were 37 Bloomfield students honored by the Indiana Chamber of Commerce. He said this was also a good reflection on our teachers.
2. Approval of Minutes. The Board had been provided with minutes of the executive sessions and regular school board meetings held on August 30, 2005, and the special meeting held on September 15, 2005, which had been prepared by corporation recording secretary Kelli Vandeventer. Marvin Helms moved to approve the minutes as presented. Nancy Canty seconded the motion. The minutes were approved by a 7-0 vote.
3. Treasurer’s Report. The Board had been provided with the Treasurer’s Report, prepared by corporation treasurer Sue Pritts, consisting of the Appropriation Report and Claims Listing Report. Upon motion duly made by Robert Kirk and seconded by Eric Moody, the Board by a 7-0 vote approved the Treasurer’s Report.
4. Board Ratifies Memorandum of Agreement for Operation of Thursday and Saturday School. Mr. Hasler told the Board that in an effort to improve disciplinary actions at the Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School the teachers and administration have discussed the creation of a Thursday evening and a Saturday morning school. He recommended that the Board ratify the Memorandum of Agreement with the Bloomfield Teachers’ Association for the operation of Thursday and Saturday School. (See attached) Nancy Canty moved to ratify the agreement per Mr. Hasler’s recommendation. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
5. Board Ratifies Memorandum of Agreement for Additional ECA Position. Mr. Hasler told the Board that the Girls’ Athletic positions in Appendix B of the Collectively Bargained Agreement does not contain a 9th Grade Basketball position as in the Boys’ Athletic positions. He said that the effect of this Memorandum of Agreement is to add a 9th Grade Basketball position to the Girls’ Athletic positions. He continued that the index for this position would be 0.06, the same as the boys’ position. Mr. Hasler recommended ratification by the Board. (See attached) Marvin Helms moved to ratify the agreement per Mr. Hasler’s recommendation. Eric Moody seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0-1 vote. Robert Kirk cast the nay vote.
6. Payment Authorized for Thursday and Saturday School. It was recommended that the Board authorize the Treasurer to pay those faculty members who staff the Thursday evening and Saturday School sessions at their usual hourly rate. Mr. Hasler said the recommendation is to authorize payment for any administrators who staff these sessions and second, to authorize to pay those teachers who have staffed these session prior to ratifying the Memorandum of Agreement. Marvin Helms moved to approve Mr. Hasler’s recommendation. Robert Kirk seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
7. ECA Resignation Accepted. It was recommended that the Board accept the resignation of Mrs. Tracy Hughes as 2005-2006 Girls’ Track Coach (Gr. 7-12). Mr. Hasler told the Board that Mrs. Hughes had returned to college to complete her teaching degree and her schedule would not allow her to complete these duties. He believes Tracy will be an excellent teacher having watched her work with children from the gifted to the ones with special needs. Jason Skomp said Tracy had been a real asset to the Bloomfield Athletic program and she would be missed. The Board thanked Mrs. Hughes for her years of service in this capacity. Peggi Blakley moved to accept Mrs. Hughes’ resignation. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
8. ECA Recommendations Approved. Board members were provided with ECA recommendations for the 2005-2006 school year from Mr. Parsley and/or Mr. Skomp. (See Attached) Superintendent Hasler included his support of these recommendations. Eric Moody moved to approve the recommendations as presented. Nancy Canty seconded the motion. The motion passed by a 5-2 vote. Steve Dowden, Nancy Canty, Eric Moody, Marvin Helms, and Robert Kirk voted in favor of the motion. Keith Hanauer and Peggi Blakley cast the nay votes.
9. Student Athletic Handbook Adopted. The Board was presented with a revised Student Athletic Handbook that had been prepared by Athletic Director Jason Skomp with assistance from Mr. Parsley. (See attached) Mr. Hasler said Mr. Skomp had taken the previous handbook and aligned it with current school policies. Mr. Hasler recommended approval. Nancy Canty moved to approve the handbook as presented. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion. After much discussion, the handbook was approved by a 6-1 vote. Mr. Kirk voted against approving the handbook.
10. Report of 2005-2006 ADM Count. Superintendent Hasler reported on the Average Daily Membership (ADM) for the 2005-2006 school year. (See attached) He said the ADM for this year is 1,081.5 students compared to 1,063.38 last year.
11. Review of Safe Schools and Emergency Preparedness Plan Completed. Superintendent Hasler said that Title 511 IAC 6.1-2-2.5(b) states, “Within sixty (60) days after the beginning date of each school year, the superintendent shall certify to the department of education that the emergency preparedness plans for the school corporation and each school in the school corporation have been reviewed and revised if necessary…” He said that Bloomfield School District’s School Safety Specialist, Mrs. Mary Jane Vandeventer, has reviewed the Safe Schools and Emergency Preparedness Plan. Although it is a state requirement to do this review annually, our school continuously reviews and addresses potential problems as the need arises.
12. Adjournment. There being no further business Robert Kirk moved to adjourn. Peggi Blakley seconded the motion. The meeting was then adjourned by a 7-0 vote.