|Written by Bryce McGlothlin|
|Tuesday, 22 February 2011 10:06|
MINUTES OF REGULAR MEETING OF SCHOOL BOARD
OF BLOOMFIELD SCHOOL DISTRICT
January 27, 2005
The Board of School Trustees of the Bloomfield School District, of Greene County, Indiana, met in regular session on January 27, 2005, at 7:10 p.m. in the junior high school conference room in Bloomfield School District, 501 West Spring Street, Bloomfield, Indiana. The following school board members were present: Nancy Canty, Steve Dowden, Keith Hanauer, Marvin Helms, Robert Kirk and Eric Moody. Peggi Blakley was absent. President Hanauer called the meeting to order at approximately 7:10 p.m. The following order of business was transacted with the President presiding:
1. Recognitions. Jr/sr high school principal Mr. Greg Parsley announced that the teacher of the month was art teacher Deb Johnson for her work with the Santa house and the various decorating around the school at Christmas time. Mr. Parsley also recognized the ROTC group for their recent inspection. Mr. Parsley’s last recognition was for the Jr. High Student Council who recently attended a leadership training at DePauw University. Elementary principal Mary Jane Vandeventer celebrated the entire elementary staff and students for raising $1300.00 to send to victims of the recent tsunami. Board member Marvin Helms mentioned the recent article in the Bloomfield Evening World announcing that the Jr/Sr High School was selected to receive one of Indiana’s Best Buys for 2004 awards from the Indiana Chamber of Commerce.
2. Approval of Minutes. The Board had been provided with minutes of the regular school board meeting held on December 23, 2004, which had been prepared by corporation recording secretary Kelli Vandeventer. Robert Kirk moved to approve the minutes as presented. Marvin Helms seconded the motion. The minutes were approved by a 4-0-2 vote. Steve Dowden and Eric Moody abstained from voting because they were not in attendance at the December 23, 2005 meeting of the Board.
3. Treasurer’s Report. The Board had been provided with the Treasurer’s Report, prepared by corporation treasurer Sue Pritts, consisting of the Appropriation Report and Claims Listing Report. Upon motion duly made by Marvin Helms and seconded by Nancy Canty, the Board by a 6-0 vote approved the Treasurer’s Report.
4. Transfer of Appropriations 2004 Budget. The Board was presented with a report from the School District Treasurer showing transfers within and among both minor and major categories in all funds in order to allow for expenditures to close out the 2004 budget. (See attached) Superintendent Hasler recommended acceptance of the report. Steve Dowden moved to accept the report as presented. Eric Moody seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
5. Resolution Adopted to Transfer Funds From Debt Service to Transportation Fund. It was recommended that the Board adopt a resolution to transfer $117,642 from the 2005 Debt Service Fund to the 2005 Transportation Fund. (See attached) Superintendent Hasler told the Board that state statute authorizes the governing body of a school corporation to adopt a resolution to transfer funds from the 2005 Debt Service Fund to the 2005 Transportation Fund. He said the legislature adopted the change to allow school districts to make this type of transfer of funds equal to the amount of reduction in the state distribution to the 2004 Transportation Fund times two (2) by June 30, 2005. Robert Kirk moved to adopt the resolution per Mr. Hasler’s recommendation. Steve Dowden seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
6. Approval for Creating Specifications for Interior Remodeling. It was recommended that the Board of School Trustees authorize the administration to have Interior Remodeling Specifications from STR Building Resources, LLC (STRBR) of Chicago, IL prepare for advertising bids for remodeling the interior areas affected by the proposed roofing replacement. Superintendent Hasler reminded the Board that they had approved the creation of roofing specifications for roofing areas 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 10, 11, 12, 15, & 20 at the August 12, 2004 board meeting. He said that since those roofing specifications include the elimination of the skylights in the jr/sr high school, additional interior remodeling is required. Mr. Hasler said that this action would authorize the creation of the specifications for that work and would also include assisting with the bid process and follow-up during the construction process. He said STRBR’s quote for this work is $19,000, payable in installments as the project proceeds and would be funded from the Construction Fund established by the Public Works Note approved by the Board at the August 12, 2004 meeting. Nancy Canty moved to approve the recommendation. Steve Dowden seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
7. Preliminary Survey of Jr/Sr High School Office Move Approved. Superintendent Hasler recommended that the Board authorize the administration to have preliminary sketches and cost estimates for moving the jr/sr high school office prepared by Veasey, Parrott, Durkin, & Shoulders. Mr. Hasler would also have them explore several options for securing the entire school building and then bring proposals back to the Board for consideration. He said that at an earlier meeting some building security issues were raised by a board member and since then the administration has been investigating alternatives that would improve security in the entire building. Nancy Canty moved to approve the recommendation. Eric Moody seconded the motion. Mr. Hasler said he had spoken to George Link who is an architect with the firm mentioned and Mr. Link said he would do the preliminary sketches for $40.00 per hour not to exceed $6,000.00. He said Mr. Link said if the Board decided to go ahead with the project they would take the cost of the preliminary drawings off the total cost of the project. After much discussion, the motion was passed by a 6-0 vote.
8. Energy Management Performance Report Heard. The Board received a performance report from Johnson Controls, Inc. for the period of May 2004 through November 2004. (See attached) Mr. Hasler said that the report covers the first seven (7) months of year ten (10) of our original ten (10) year energy management contract. He said that during the period above a net cost avoidance of $13,994 was realized by the school district. He told them that so far the Bloomfield School District had exceeded the original savings goal by 36%.
9. Fire Protection Services Contract Awarded. It was recommended that fire protection services for the school district consisting of servicing fire extinguishers, kitchen hood fire protection system, sensitivity testing, and monitoring and testing the fire alarm system be awarded to Siemens. Mr. Hasler said this award would be for twenty-four (24) months at an initial annual rate of $2028.00. Steve Dowden moved to approve the recommendation. Marvin Helms seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
10. Substitute for Assistant Principal Maternity Leave Approved. Jr/Sr High School principal Mr. Greg Parsley asked the Board to approve Charles Roach as a substitute assistant principal for Stella Royal’s maternity leave from her delivery date until the last day of the 2004-2005 school year. Mr. Roach would receive 102% of his regular teacher pay plus the benefits of his current teacher’s contract. Mr. Hasler told the Board that Mr. Roach had the necessary license for the position. He also said that he believes that Mr. Roach could provide effective leadership within the junior-senior high school because of his experience, his relationship with staff members, and his community knowledge and support. Mr. Hasler included his support of Mr. Parsley’s request and recommended approval. Marvin Helms moved to approve the request. Eric Moody seconded the motion. Mr. Roach was hired by a 6-0 vote.
11. Long-Term Substitute for Jr/Sr High School Social Studies Position Approved. Jr/Sr High School principal Mr. Gregg Parsley asked the Board to approve Amanda Metheny as a long-term substitute social students teacher for Mr. Charles Roach while he is serving as assistant principal. She will receive regular teacher pay for B.S. 0 education and experience. Mr. Hasler told the Board that Ms. Metheny has met the requirements for licensure and is waiting for the license from the Indiana Professional Standards Board. He supported Mr. Parsley’s request and recommended approval. Nancy Canty moved to approve the recommendation. Marvin Helms seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
12. ECA Recommendations Approved. Board members were provided with ECA recommendations for the 2004-2005 school year from Mr. Skomp. Michael Hayes was recommended as Girls Varsity Softball Coach, and Zachary Crane as Junior Varsity Baseball Coach. Superintendent Hasler included his support of these recommendations. Marvin Helms moved to approve the recommendations as presented. Eric Moody seconded the motion. The motion passed by a 5-0-1 vote. Nancy Canty abstained from voting.
13. Out of State Field Trip for Greene-Sullivan Automotive Service Tech Class Approved. It was recommended that the Board approve an out of state field trip for six Bloomfield students in the Greene-Sullivan Automotive Service Tech Class. Mr. Hasler said the class would also like permission to use a Bloomfield School District Activity Bus. He said this class is a part of our Twin Rivers Careers Program and recommended approval. Robert Kirk moved to approve the recommendation. Nancy Canty seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
14. Other Items of Business That May Need Action Prior to the Next Board Meeting. Mr. Hasler told the Board that after looking over monthly calendars he said setting the last Thursday of each month through June 2005 for school board meetings would be best for paying monthly claims. He recommended setting board meetings to be held on the last Thursday of each month through June 2005. Marvin Helms moved to approve the recommendation. Robert Kirk seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
15. Adjournment. There being no further business Marvin Helms moved to adjourn. Eric Moody seconded the motion. The meeting was then adjourned by a 6-0 vote.