|Written by Bryce McGlothlin|
|Monday, 21 February 2011 10:51|
MINUTES OF SPECIAL MEETING OF SCHOOL BOARD
OF BLOOMFIELD SCHOOL DISTRICT
September 2, 2004
The Board of School Trustees of the Bloomfield School District, of Greene County, Indiana, met in special session on September 2, 2004, at 7:00 p.m. in the junior high school conference room in Bloomfield Jr-Sr High School, 501 West Spring Street, Bloomfield, Indiana. The following school board members were present: Peggi Blakley, Nancy Canty, Steve Dowden, Keith Hanauer, Marvin Helms, Robert Kirk and Eric Moody. President Hanauer called the meeting to order at approximately 7:00 p.m. The following order of business was transacted with the President presiding:
1. Recognitions. Jr/Sr High School principal Greg Parsley thanked Mrs. Royal and Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School students who helped move the Family Life Center to its new location. Mr. Parsley also thanked Bloomfield teachers for their attendance at the recent open house at school. Superintendent Hasler commented on a good and quiet start to the new school year. Nancy Canty gave an update on the “Home of the Cardinals” sign project and said that so far $1900.00 had been collected to help pay for the sign. Mrs. Canty said the sign should be up soon. Robert Kirk said he was very impressed at the recent school open house. He congratulated everyone for a good job.
2. Public Hearing on the 2004 Budget, Capital Projects Plan, and School Bus Replacement Plan. There being no comments made concerning the 2005 budget President Hanauer continued with the remainder of the meeting.
3. Energy Management Performance Report Heard. The Board received a performance report from Johnson Controls, Inc. for the period of May through June 2004. (See attached) Mr. Hasler said that the report covered the first two months of year ten (10) of our original ten (10) year energy management contract. He said that during the period above a net cost avoidance of $1,622 was realized by the school district. He told them that so far the Bloomfield School District had exceeded the original savings goal by 34.8%.
4. Roof Specifications, Bid Procedure, and Administrative Services Proposal Approved. It was recommended that the Board of School Trustees accept the proposal for Roof Specifications, Bid Procedure, and Administrative Services from STR Building Resources, LLC (STRBR) of Carmel at a cost of $42,200 (including structural analysis) plus reimbursable expenses. (See attached) Marvin Helms moved to approve the proposal as presented. Steve Dowden seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
5. Change Order for Roofing Area 21/22 Accepted. It was recommended that the Board accept an emergency change order from Nu-Tec Roofing for $5,173.20. (See attached.) Superintendent Hasler explained the reason for the change order and recommended acceptance. Peggi Blakley moved to accept the change order per Mr. Hasler’s recommendation. Nancy Canty seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
6. Jr./Sr. High School Media Assistant Hired. Mr. Parsley asked the Board to hire Mrs. Cindy Riggins as a media assistant at Bloomfield Jr/Sr. High School effective August 17, 2004. He said this was a result of Mrs. Becky Neeley’s transfer to the jr/sr high school secretary position. Mr. Hasler included his approval of the request. Marvin Helms moved to hire Mrs. Riggins effective August 17, 2004. Nancy Canty seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
7. Part Time Instructional Aide Hired. Superintendent Hasler told the Board that due to the new shortened school day for students we often have students who are waiting for practice. He said that Mrs. Tracy Hughes works for the Greene- Sullivan Special Education Co-op in our building and he recommended hiring her as a part-time after school aide effective September 6, 2004. Mr. Hasler said Mrs. Hughes would work from 3:00 to 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Peggi Blakley moved to hire Mrs. Hughes per Mr. Hasler’s recommendation. Robert Kirk seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
8. Instructional Aides’ Resignations Accepted. Elementary instructional aides Beth Goad and Jayne Scott had submitted their letters of resignation effective August 13, 2004. Mr. Hasler recommended acceptance. Steve Dowden moved to accept the resignations of both Mrs. Goad and Mrs. Scott. Peggi Blakley seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote. Superintendent Hasler said that both ladies had found other suitable employment over the summer and wished to continue with their new jobs. He wished Mrs. Goad and Mrs. Scott well and thanked them for their years of service to the school district.
9. Elementary Instructional Aides Hired. To fill two instructional aide positions created by the resignation of Beth Goad and Jayne Scott elementary principal Mary Jane Vandeventer asked the Board to hire Mrs. Annette Baker effective August 17th and Mrs. Jeannie Cantrell effective August 23rd. Superintendent Hasler recommended approval. Nancy Canty moved to hire Mrs. Baker and Mrs. Cantrell per the recommendation. Peggi Blakley seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
10. NJROTC Naval Instructor Contracts Approved. Superintendent Hasler told the Board that the Area 9 Manager from the Department of the Navy was now requiring that Naval Science Instructors have a separate contract. Mr. Hasler presented the Board with contract which had been reviewed by Mr. Todd Corn. (See attached) He recommended approval. Marvin Helms moved to approve the contracts. Steve Dowden seconded the motion, Mr. Hasler told the Board that the contracts also included a .03 stipend for extra curricular activities associated with the NJROTC. The motion passed by a 7-0 vote.
11. Jr./Sr. High School Science Teacher Hired. Mr. Parsley recommended that the Board hire Ms. Sarah Bright, effective August 16, 2004, as the Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School Chemistry, Biology, Environmental Science, and Physics teacher pending successful procurement of an Indiana Emergency Permit to teach those subjects. He said this position was created as a result of the resignation of Mr. Jim Brinson. Superintendent Hasler recommended approval. Ms. Bright was hired by a 6-1 vote. Robert Kirk cast the nay vote.
12. 2004-2005 ECA Recommendations. Mr. Hasler presented the Board with a list of ECA recommendations from Mr. Parsley (See attached list) Marvin Helms moved to approve the list as presented. Robert Kirk seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
13. School Improvement Committee Stipends Approved. It was recommended that the Board approve 2004-2005 stipends for the Jr./Sr. High School P. L. 221 School Improvement Committee. (See attached) Steve Dowden moved to approve the list as recommended. Marvin Helms seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
14. INDOT Request for I-69 Committee Participation. Mr. Hasler told the Board that his office was contacted August 23rd with a request to have a representative of the school serve on a I-69 Community Committee. He said that the representative mentioned another I-69 committee that would look at the technical aspects of the anticipated construction of the roadway. Mr. Hasler said that this I-69 Technical Committee would be made up with members of fire departments, emergency services, etc. He said they would like someone involved with transportation to represent the school on this committee. Mr. Hasler made no recommendation and said he wanted direction from the Board on how they felt about someone from the school serving on this committee. He told the Board they could contact him if they were interested in serving on this committee.
15. Enrollment Numbers Announced. Board members were given enrollment numbers for the start of school. Mr. Hasler said that as of August 26th there were 584 students enrolled in the elementary and 522 students in the jr-sr high school. He said that the ADM (Average Daily Membership) count day will be September 17th.
16. Adjournment. There being no further business, Marvin Helms moved to adjourn. Nancy Canty seconded the motion. The meeting was then adjourned by a 7-0 vote.