|Written by Bryce McGlothlin|
|Monday, 21 February 2011 10:50|
MINUTES OF REGULAR MEETING OF SCHOOL BOARD
OF BLOOMFIELD SCHOOL DISTRICT
June 24, 2004
The Board of School Trustees of the Bloomfield School District, of Greene County, Indiana, met in regular session on June 24, 2004, at 7:00 p.m. in the junior high school conference room in Bloomfield School District, 501 West Spring Street, Bloomfield, Indiana. The following school board members were present: Peggi Blakley, Randall Burcham, Nancy Canty, Steve Dowden, Keith Hanauer, Marvin Helms and Richard Richeson. President Hanauer called the meeting to order at approximately 7:00 p.m. The following order of business was transacted with the President presiding:
1. Recognitions. Future Farmers of America (FFA) sponsor Ben Helms recognized several FFA members for recently receiving State FFA degrees. Those receiving honors were Keith Bennett, Sawyer Sparks, Jodie Myers, and Doug Everett. Mr. Helms also recognized Sawyer Sparks for being elected to serve as FFA President for District 7. Superintendent Hasler recognized outgoing board members, Richard Richeson and Randall Burcham. Mr. Hasler thanked the men for their leadership and service on the Board. Mr. Hasler also introduced Harry Huber who is the administrator for the Cape Grant and was present to answer questions concerning agenda item #6 (B).
2. Approval of Minutes. The Board had been provided with minutes of the executive session and regular school board meeting both held on May 20, 2004, which had been prepared by corporation recording secretary Kelli Vandeventer. Marvin Helms moved to approve the minutes as presented. Peggi Blakley seconded the motion. The minutes were approved by a 6-0-1 vote. Randall Burcham abstained from voting because he was absent from the May 20, 2004 meetings.
3. Treasurer’s Report. The Board had been provided with the Treasurer’s Report, prepared by corporation treasurer Sue Pritts, consisting of the Appropriation Report and Claims Listing Report. Upon motion duly made by Randall Burcham and seconded by Nancy Canty, the Board by a 7-0 vote approved the Treasurer’s Report.
4. 2004-2005 Book Rental/Course Fees/Supply Charges Approved. The Board had been provided with lists of book rental charges, course fees, and supply charges for the 2004-2005 school year for Bloomfield Elementary and Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School, which had been prepared by the building principals. (See attached) Steve Dowden moved to approve the lists as presented. Randall Burcham seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
5. Resolution to Join Consortium Agreement for Use of Grant Funds Approved. Superintendent Hasler recommended that the Board adopt a resolution to enter into a Consortium Agreement for Use of Grant Funds with other county schools and non-profit entities. (See attached agreement) He told the Board that this agreement would allow Bloomfield School District to participate with the other consortium members in school improvement activities and to secure funds through grant writing to finance these activities. This is a two-year plan where the consortium will employ two people to direct this process. He said these two employees would work with all consortium members. Mr. Hasler told the Board that the school district would commit $12,000 per year for two years to the consortium. Nancy Canty moved to approve signing the consortium agreement per Mr. Hasler’s recommendation. Peggi Blakley seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
6. Letter of Agreement to Renew School Nutrition Programs Approved. Mr. Hasler told the Board that a Letter of Agreement is required by the Indiana Department of Education to operate our school lunch program and he recommended approval. (See attached) The agreement would renew the School Nutrition Program for July 1, 2004 through June 30, 2005. Randall Burcham moved to approve Mr. Hasler’s recommendation. Steve Dowden seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
7. Contract with Health Insurance Carrier Renewed. Superintendent Hasler told the Board that the Bloomfield Teachers’ Association had requested that the health insurance plan be reviewed and placed out for quotes from various carriers. He said that seven carriers were invited to quote the proposed plan and that Dunn and Associates was the only carrier who responded with a quote. Mr. Hasler recommended continuing with Dunn and Associates. Marvin Helms moved to continue with Dunn and Associates for the employee health insurance. Peggi Blakley seconded Mr. Helms’ motion. The motion passed by a 7-0 vote.
8. 2004-2005 Title I Grant Application Approved for Submission. Superintendent Hasler recommended that the Board approve the submission of the Title I grant application for the 2004-2005 school year. (See attached) Randall Burcham moved that the Board authorize submission of the Title I grant application. Marvin Helms seconded the motion. The Board approved the motion by a 7-0 vote.
9. Teacher Resignation Accepted. Superintendent Hasler told the Board that Kris Perry had submitted her resignation as elementary teacher at Bloomfield Elementary School. He said Ms. Perry had accepted a teaching position at a school in New Mexico. Nancy Canty moved to accept Ms. Perry’s resignation. Peggi Blakley seconded the motion. Mr. Hasler wished Ms. Perry well and thanked her for her years of service to the school district. He said she was an excellent teacher and would be missed. Ms. Perry’s resignation was accepted by a 7-0 vote.
10. Transfer Request Approved. It was recommended that the Board approve a transfer request of Mrs. Jennifer Medina from her current second grade position to the first grade for the 2004-2005 school year. (See attached) Mr. Hasler told the Board that due to fluctuations in class size numbers it is necessary to add an additional teacher to the first grade for the 2004-2005 school year. Steve Dowden moved to approve Mrs. Medina’s transfer request. Randall Burcham seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
11. ECA Recommendations Approved. Board members were provided with ECA recommendations for the 2004-2005 school year from elementary principal Mary Jane Vandeventer. (See attached) Superintendent Hasler included his support of these recommendations. Nancy Canty moved to approve the recommendations as presented. Randall Burcham seconded the motion. The motion passed by a 7-0 vote.
12. Authority to Eliminate Temporary Position Granted. Superintendent Hasler explained that the School Social Worker position was created as a result of the Greene County C.A.P.E. Grant and that it was a three-year position. He said that during the past two years two employees had been in this position and since it is only funded for one more year, many candidates are not interested in a one-year position. Mr. Hasler recommended that the position be eliminated and the remaining funds be utilized to continue the At-Risk position. Marvin Helms moved to approve Mr. Hasler’s recommendation. Peggi Blakley seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
13. Jr/Sr High School Secretary Hired. It was recommended that the Board hire Mrs. Becky Neeley as the
Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School secretary for Bloomfield Jr/Sr High School. Mr. Hasler told the Board that Mrs. Neeley has secretarial experience from the Jr/Sr High School Assistant Principals’ office and has served as the interim Jr/Sr High School Secretary since April 2004. He said if approved Mrs. Neeley would be compensated at the High School Principal Secretary rate with her years’ experience. Her effective date would be July 1, 2004. Peggi Blakley moved to approve Mr. Hasler’s recommendation. Steve Dowden seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
14. Teacher Resignation Accepted. It was recommended that the Board accept the resignation of Mr. David Dean as an employee of the Bloomfield School District effective June 30, 2004. Nancy Canty moved to accept Mr. Dean’s recommendation. Steve Dowden seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote. Mr. Hasler told the Board that Mr. Dean was earlier hired as the math summer school teacher and was resigning that position also.
15. Zoo Field Trip Approved. Elementary principal Mary Jane Vandeventer asked the Board to approve the annual overnight field trip to the Indianapolis Zoo on May 4 and 5, 2005, for the second grade students. Mr. Hasler recommended approval. Peggi Blakley moved to approve the field trip as requested. Nancy Canty seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
16. 2004-2005 Student Handbook Approved. Jr/sr high school principal Mrs. Stella Royal presented the Board with a revised student handbook for the 2004-2005 school year. (See attached) Mr. Hasler recommended approval. Randall Burcham moved to approve the handbook as presented. Marvin Helms seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
17. Board Member Comments. Nancy Canty commented that she would like to see an account set up by the school district to take in contributions for a “Bloomfield Home of the Cardinals” sign to be put up on the outside wall of the west side of the Glover Gym. Superintendent Hasler said he would check into it and report back to the Board with his findings.
18. Bloomfield Elementary Preliminary Enrollment Figures Announced. Board members were provided with preliminary elementary school enrollment figures for the 2004-2005 school year by Mrs. Vandeventer. (See attached) Total enrollment is 589, which is down approximately 30 students from the ending enrollment for the 2003-2004 school year. Mrs. Vandeventer said it was not unusual to have late enrollments immediately before school starts.
19. Collective Bargaining Update. Superintendent Hasler said that the BTA bargaining team and the Board’s bargaining team met on June 16, 2004. He said that the new ISTA Uniserv Director, Ms. Rochell Bechtel was introduced and acted as the spokesperson for the BTA. The teams have scheduled another session for June 30, 2004, at 3:00 p.m.
20. Comments and Information From the Public. Mary DeVault thanked whoever was responsible for having Eva Kor do the convocation for the students recently. Ms. Kor lived in a concentration camp during the Holocaust and her museum in Terre Haute was recently destroyed by fire. Mrs. DeVault said she also wished that parents would have known about the convocation so they could have sent money to donate to the fundraiser that Ms. Kor does by selling candles. Title I Administrator Susan Goodman told the Board that next week there would be twelve teachers attending a one-week long 4 Blocks Academy. Bob Kirk told the Board that Joe Hart had contacted him concerning the Home of the Cardinal’s sign and said the cost would be in the $2,000.00 range.
21. Adjournment. There being no further business, Peggi Blakley moved to adjourn. Richard Richeson seconded the motion. The meeting was then adjourned by a 7-0 vote.