|Written by Bryce McGlothlin|
|Monday, 21 February 2011 10:45|
MINUTES OF REGULAR MEETING OF SCHOOL BOARD
OF BLOOMFIELD SCHOOL DISTRICT
December 18, 2003
The Board of School Trustees of the Bloomfield School District, of Greene County, Indiana, met in regular session on December 18, 2003, at 7:00 p.m. in the junior high school conference room in Bloomfield School District, 501 West Spring Street, Bloomfield, Indiana. The following school board members were present: Peggi Blakley, Randall Burcham, Nancy Canty, Steve Dowden, Keith Hanauer, Marvin Helms, and Richard Richeson. President Hanauer called the meeting to order at approximately 7:00 p.m. The following order of business was transacted with the President presiding:
1. Recognitions. Lori Lund recognized school students and staff who helped with the coat drive for the needy. She said 316 coats were donated to the Family Life Center. Mr. Hasler recognized Nancy Hudson, BTA President, for putting together a very nice retirement party for Mr. Jim McBride, Mrs. Jeannine McBride, and Mrs. Patty Riddle.
2. Board Hears Results of ISTEP & GQE. School district test coordinator Lori Lund provided the Board with information regarding recent ISTEP and GQE test results. Mrs. Lund told the Board that the Bloomfield students did very well. The Board thanked Mrs. Lund for the information.
3. Approval of Minutes. The Board had been provided with minutes of the regular school board meeting held on November 20, 2003, which had been prepared by corporation recording secretary Kelli Vandeventer. Steve Dowden moved to approve the minutes as presented. Randall Burcham seconded the motion. The minutes were approved by a 7-0 vote.
4. Treasurer’s Report. The Board had been provided with the Treasurer’s Report, prepared by corporation treasurer Sue Pritts, consisting of the Appropriation Report and Claims Listing Report. Upon motion duly made by Richard Richeson and seconded by Peggi Blakley, the Board by a 7-0 vote approved the Treasurer’s Report.
5. Board Accepts Proposal for Roofing Survey-Specifications. Superintendent Hasler recommended that the Board accept the proposal for Roofing Survey-Specifications from STR Building Resources, LLC (STRBR) of Chicago, IL at a cost of $12,500 plus reimbursable expenses. (See attached) He explained that a comprehensive roof replacement plan was completed by Mr. John Dorrer of Industrial Roofing Services in March of 2002 and that 5 roof areas were identified for replacement. Mr. Hasler said if approved the proposal will prepare the necessary documents for bidding and the follow through for replacing roof areas 21 (Kitchen) and 22 (Upper Elementary Wing) during the summer of 2004. Richard Richeson moved to accept the survey-specifications proposal from STR per the Superintendent’s recommendation. Randall Burcham seconded the motion, which was approved by a 7-0 vote.
6. Energy Management Performance Report Heard. The Board received a performance report from Johnson Controls, Inc. for the period of May 2003 through October 2003. (See attached) Mr. Hasler said that the report covers the first half of year nine (9) of our original ten (10) year energy management contract. He told them that so far the Bloomfield School District had exceeded the original savings goal by 31.5%.
7. Board Accepts Roofing Change Order. The superintendent asked the Board to accept an emergency change order for roofing area 7 (NJROTC Rooms) for HRC Roofing and Sheet Metal Company, Inc. for $7,354.00. He told the Board that this change order saved the district $7,046.00. Randall Burcham moved to accept the change order per Superintendent Hasler’s request. Nancy Canty seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
8. Authority Granted to Advertise for a Temporary Operating Loan. It was recommended that the Board of School Trustees authorize the administration to advertise for a temporary operating loan (Tax Anticipation Warrant) for $2,500,000 to be repaid December 31, 2004. The distribution of the loan shall be General Fund $925,000, Debt Service $825,000, Capital Projects $425,000, and Transportation $325,000. Mr. Hasler explained that due to delays in tuition support payments to the General Fund from the state, delays in the county tax reassessment, and further delays in other monies coming from the state the school district finds it necessary to borrow operating money to meet its monetary obligations in a timely manner. Richard Richeson moved to approve the recommendation. Peggi Blakley seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
9. Amendments to Valic Support Staff Retirement Savings Plan Approved. Superintendent Hasler told the Board that he had been notified that two amendments needed to be submitted to bring the Valic support staff retirement plan into compliance with federal and state regulations. (See attached) He said after having Todd Corn review the amendments he recommends that the Board sign and submit the two amendments to the 403(B) Non-Certified Savings Plan for the support staff. Marvin Helms moved to approve the amendments per Mr. Hasler’s recommendation. Steve Dowden seconded the motion, which was approved by a 7-0 vote.
10. Jr/Sr High School Principal Resigns. Jr/sr high school principal Jerry Snapp had submitted his resignation to the superintendent, effective at the end of his 2003-2004 contract (205 days by July 31, 2004). (See attached) Mr. Snapp stated that his intent is to retire at that time. Mr. Hasler recommended that the Board accept Mr. Snapp’s resignation. Steve Dowden moved to accept Mr. Snapp’s resignation. Peggi Blakley seconded the motion. Mr. Hasler thanked Mr. Snapp for his 8 years of service to the district. President Hanauer said he knew that a lot of teachers and students thought well of Mr. Snapp and he wished him well in his future. Mr. Snapp’s resignation was accepted by a 7-0 vote.
11. Board Policy First Reading Held. First reading was held on one (1) school board policy.
Policy #4401 Fringe Benefits For Support Staff policy was presented to the Board for first reading.
(See attached) Superintendent Hasler said that the only change is found under Section 15. Other.
This policy will be brought to a later meeting for consideration.
12. Board Accepts Donation of Automatic External Defibrillator. It was recommended that the Board accept an Automatic External Defibrillator from the Greene County Health Department’s Tobacco funds. Superintendent Hasler said that earlier the Board had adopted a recommendation to designate the “Committed to Education” license plate funds to purchasing an AED for the school district. He stated that if the health department donates only one defibrillator to the school, funds would continue to accumulate from license plate sales to purchase a second one. The health department is arranging for training and would like to train 2 or 3 people at the school. Nancy Canty moved to accept the AED. Peggi Blakley seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
13. Class Enrollment Numbers Not Meeting Policy #2705, Class Size Policy. It was recommended that the Board approve a class size list (see attached) for the second semester of the 2003-2004 school year. Richard Richeson moved to approve the list as provided. Randall Burcham seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
14. Collective Bargaining Update. Superintendent Hasler read a prepared Collective Bargaining Update to the Board and public. (See attached)
15. Adjournment. There being no further business, Nancy Canty moved to adjourn. Peggi Blakley seconded the motion. The meeting was then adjourned by a 7-0 vote.