|Written by Bryce McGlothlin|
|Monday, 21 February 2011 10:13|
MINUTES OF REGULAR MEETING OF SCHOOL BOARD
OF BLOOMFIELD SCHOOL DISTRICT
August 29, 2002
The Board of School Trustees of the Bloomfield School District, of Greene County, Indiana, met in regular session on August 29, 2002, at approximately 7:00 p.m. in the jr./sr. high school conference room in Bloomfield School District, 501 West Spring Street, Bloomfield, Indiana. The following school board members were present: Randall Burcham, Nancy Canty, Steve Dowden, Keith Hanauer, Marvin Helms, and Richard Richeson. Peggi Blakley was absent. President Helms called the meeting to order at approximately 7:00 p.m. The following order of business was transacted with the President presiding:
1. Recognitions. Nancy Canty mentioned the newly painted hallway walls and wall posters in the elementary school. She complemented elementary principal Mary Jane Vandeventer for making the elementary school such a beautiful and happy place for children to learn. Marvin Helms shared that board member Peggi Blakley had lost her home to fire this evening and sent condolences to her and her family from the Board.
2. Public Comment. PTO president Kristine Sears told the Board that the PTO would be hosting a “Meet Your Board Members” night Monday, September 9, 2002 to give PTO members a chance to meet members of the School Board. The Board thanked Ms. Sears.
3. Approval of Minutes. The Board had been provided with minutes of the regular school board meeting held on July 25, 2002, executive session held on July 31, 2002, special meeting held on August 13, 2002 and executive session held on August 20, 2002, which had been prepared by corporation recording secretary Kelli Vandeventer. Nancy Canty made a motion to approve the minutes as presented. Randall Burcham seconded the motion. The minutes were approved by a 5-0-1 vote. Keith Hanauer abstained from voting because he was not in attendance at all of the meetings.
4. Treasurer’s Report. The Board had been provided with the Treasurer’s Report, prepared by corporation treasurer Sue Pritts, consisting of the Appropriation Report and Claims Listing Report. Upon motion duly made by Richard Richeson and seconded by Steve Dowden, the Board by a 6-0 vote approved the Treasurer’s Report.
5. Public Hearing Held on 2003 Budget, Capital Projects Fund Plan, and School Bus Replacement Plan. The Board conducted a public hearing on the 2003 budget, the Capital Projects Fund Plan, and the School Bus Replacement Plan as required under Indiana law. The purpose of the hearing is to give the public an opportunity to express themselves regarding the various budgets and plans that have been advertised before the Board adopts them. Superintendent Hasler said that budgets and plan are scheduled for adoption at the September 12, 2002 meeting of the Board. No public comments were made. President Helms closed the public hearing.
6. Parents Supplemental Transportation Contract Approved. Superintendent Hasler
recommended that the Board approve a Parents Supplemental Transportation Contract between the ABC
Daycare owned by Larry and Debbie Baird and Matt O’Neall who is a contracted bus driver for the school
district. (See attached contract) Steve Dowden made a motion to approve the contract as provided.
Richard Richeson seconded the motion, which was approved by a 6-0 vote.
7. At-Risk Counselor Hired. Elementary principal Mary Jane Vandeventer asked the Board to employ Mrs. Susan Street as an at-risk counselor for the Bloomfield School District, effective September 30, 2002. Mrs. Street would fill a position created as a result of CAPE Grant funds. Superintendent Hasler said that Mrs. Street has extensive work experience with at-risk populations and will be working with students in grades K-8. Mr. Hasler concurred with Mrs. Vandeventer’s recommendation. Richard Richeson made a motion to hire Mrs. Susan Street effective September 30, 2002. Nancy Canty seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
8. 2002-2003 ECA Recommendations Approved. Board members were provided with ECA recommendations for the 2002-2003 school year from athletic director Jason Skomp. Mr. Skomp recommended Scott Yoho for Girls’ 6th Grade Basketball Coach, Brad O’Neall for Girls’ 7th and 8th Grade Basketball Coach, Michael Hayes for Girls’ 7th Grade Volleyball Coach, Melissa Dyal for Girls’ 8th Grade Volleyball Coach, Sue McIntosh to be a “Volunteer” Assistant Jr. High Golf Coach, and Doug Bolin to be a “Volunteer” Assistant Boys’ Elementary Basketball Coach. Superintendent Hasler included his support of the recommendations. Richard Richeson made a motion to approve the recommendations as presented. Steve Dowden seconded the motion. The motion passed by a 6-0 vote.
9. INCOLSA Board Appointment Made. Superintendent Hasler recommended that the Board appoint Kristie Bladen to serve on the Indiana Cooperative Library Services Authority (INCOLSA) Board with her term ending June 30, 2005. Keith Hanauer made a motion to appoint Kristie Bladen to the INCOLSA Board, term ending June 30, 2005. Randall Burcham seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
10. Homebound Instructor Hired. Jr./sr. high school principal Jerry Snapp told the Board that a
tenth grade student at Bloomfield High School is under medical attention due to an automobile accident and
requires homebound instruction. Mr. Snapp recommended hiring Deborah Harshman to be that homebound
teacher. Superintendent Hasler said that Mrs. Harshman is a Bloomfield High School teacher and is willing
to assume these additional duties up to 5 hours per week for the equivalent of her regular compensation for
teaching. The effective date would be August 19, 2002 and continue until the student is released by the attending
physician. Nancy Canty made a motion to approve the recommendation. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion,
which passed by a 6-0 vote.
11. Board Policy Second Reading and Adoption Held. Second reading was held on one (1) school board policy. #4400, Extra-Curricular Activity Wage Provisions policy was presented to the Board for second reading and consideration for adoption. (See attached) Randall Burcham made a motion to approve the policy as presented. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion. The policy passed by a 6-0 vote.
12. Excused Absence Request Granted. Jr./sr. high school assistant principal Stella Royal told the Board that the mother of Bloomfield students Danielle and Susannah Julian requests that the Board approve excused absence of school days during the period of September 12, 2002 and September 18, 2002 for the girls to go on a family trip. Mrs. Royal said that due to the educational nature of the family trip she recommended approval. Mr. Hasler concurred. Richard Richeson made a motion to approve the excused absence for both girls. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0.
13. Excused Absence Request Granted. Jr./sr. high school assistant principal Stella Royal told the Board that the mother of Bloomfield student Jamie Herr requests that the Board approve excused absence of school days during the period of September 23, 2002 and October 8, 2002 to go with a family member to Germany. Mrs. Royal said that due to the educational nature of the family trip she recommended approval. Mr. Hasler concurred. Steve Dowden made a motion to approve the excused absence as requested. Randall Burcham seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
14. Collective Bargaining Update. Superintendent Hasler read a prepared Collective Bargaining Update to the Board and public. (See attached)
15. 2003-2007 Transportation Specifications. Superintendent Hasler told the Board that he wanted to get the specifications in the Board’s hands and is hoping they will authorize him to advertise for bids at the September 12, 2002 Board meeting. If that happens, he would like to have the bid information in the hands of interested parties from September 15, 2002 until October 15, 2002 with bids due in by October 15th. Mr. Hasler said that he would like to grant routes at the October 24, 2002 regular school board meeting.
16. Adjournment. There being no further business, Randall Burcham made a motion to adjourn. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion. The meeting was then adjourned by a 6-0 vote.