|Written by Bryce McGlothlin|
|Monday, 21 February 2011 10:08|
MINUTES OF REGULAR MEETING OF SCHOOL BOARD
OF BLOOMFIELD SCHOOL DISTRICT
February 28, 2002
The Board of School Trustees of the Bloomfield School District, of Greene County, Indiana, met in regular session on February 28, 2002, at approximately 7:10 p.m. in the jr./sr. high school conference room in Bloomfield School District, 501 West Spring Street, Bloomfield, Indiana. The following school board members were present: Randall Burcham, Nancy Canty, Steve Dowden, Keith Hanauer, Marvin Helms, Richard Richeson and Jack Terrell. President Terrell called the meeting to order at approximately 7:10 p.m. The following order of business was transacted with the President presiding:
1. Recognitions. Superintendent Hasler recognized Jr./sr. high school assistant principal Mrs. Stella Royal for recently being named as president of the Indiana Middle Level Education Association. He stated that taking leadership positions at the state level requires a lot of work and he appreciated Mrs. Royal taking that step which also gives our school recognition. Athletic director Jason Skomp recognized the boys’ freshman, Jr. varsity and varsity basketball teams for being SWIAC champs this year. Also, Mr. Skomp shared that three girls from the girls’ basketball team were named to the All Conference team. Ashley Thombleson, Mandy Combs, and Kelly Gillespie were the three receiving that honor.
2. Approval of Minutes. The Board had been provided with minutes of the executive session, special session and regular school board meeting all held on January 24, 2002 and the executive session held on January 31, 2002, which had been prepared by corporation recording secretary Kelli Vandeventer. Nancy Canty made a motion to approve the minutes as presented. Marvin Helms seconded the motion. The minutes were approved by a 7-0 vote.
3. Treasurer’s Report. The Board had been provided with the Treasurer’s Report, prepared by corporation treasurer Sue Pritts, consisting of the Appropriation Report and Claims Listing Report. Upon motion duly made by Richard Richeson and seconded by Randall Burcham, the Board by a 7-0 vote approved the Treasurer’s Report.
4. 2002 Tax Rates Announced. Superintendent Hasler prepared a comparison of the tax rates from 2000, 2001, and 2002. (See attached)
5. 2002 ISTEP+ Remediation and Preventive Remediation Grant Program Participation Approved. Mr. Hasler explained that this grant provides the District with money to be used for remediation of all students who did not meet the minimum required scores when they took the ISTEP+ test. In order to participate, a school must submit application papers to the Indiana Department of Education no later than March 15, 2002. Superintendent Hasler recommended participation in the 2002 ISTEP+ Remediation and Preventive Remediation Grant Program. Randall Burcham made a motion to approve participation in the grant program per Mr. Hasler’s recommendation. Marvin Helms seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote. Mr. Burcham stated that this grant is a matching funds grant, but wanted to share that the Bloomfield School District does more than just match the grant money.
6. Update on Athletic Facilities Given. Superintendent Hasler introduced George Link with the architectural firm of Veasey Parrott Durkin and Shoulders and Bill Riggert of the civil engineering firm of Bledsoe Tapp and Riggert, Inc. to share plans and ideas for the new athletic facility with the Board. After suggestions were made and discussed President Terrell thanked the gentlemen for their update. Mr. Link and Mr. Riggert will continue their plans for the property where the proposed athletic facilities will be located.
7. 3-Hour Cafeteria II Worker Hired. Cafeteria supervisor Maxine Hayes asked the Board to hire Cheryl Parker as a Cafeteria II employee to fill the position created by Joyce Carmichael’s resignation at the December Board meeting. Mr. Hasler recommended approval. Steve Dowden made a motion to hire Ms. Parker as requested. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion. Ms. Parker was hired by a 7-0 vote.
8. 2001-2002 ECA Recommendations Approved. Board members were provided with ECA recommendations for the 2001-2002 school year from athletic director Jason Skomp. Mr. Skomp recommended Mike Canty as Girls’ Tennis Coach, Lucas Calhoun as a Volunteer Girls’ Assistant Tennis Coach, Tracy Hughes as Girls’ Track Coach, Loren Hadley as Girls’ Assistant Track Coach, Bret Munden as Boys’ Track Coach, and Josh Thompson as Boys’ Assistant Track Coach. Superintendent Hasler included his support of the recommendations. Randall Burcham made a motion to approve the recommendations as presented. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
9. Sick Leave Transfer Request Approved. Superintendent Hasler told the Board that Mrs. Joyce Thomas, a high school secretary, had asked to have some of her Sick Leave days transferred to Family Illness days so she would not lose pay while taking care of her husband who had had surgery. Mrs. Thomas had used all of her Family Illness and Personal Leave previously. Mr. Hasler recommended the Board approve up to 10 days be transferred for Mrs. Thomas. Marvin Helms made a motion to transfer up to 10 days of Mrs. Thomas’ Sick Leave to Family Illness. Nancy Canty seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
10. Intent to Offer Adult Education Programs, 2002-2003. It was recommended by Mr. Hasler that the Board continue to authorize adult education programs through Greene County Youth Alternatives (GCYA). He explained that part of the agreement with GCYA is to offer Adult Education programs for students over 16 years of age. The money for this program comes from the Indiana Department of Education to our school and is passed on to the GCYA. Keith Hanauer made a motion for the Board to sign the Notification of Intent to Offer State Reimbursable Adult Education Programs. Steve Dowden seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
11. 2002-2003 School Calendar Approved. Superintendent Hasler provided Board members with a proposed 2002-2003 school calendar that had been through the discussion process with the Bloomfield Teachers’ Association. (See attached) Randall Burcham made a motion to approve the calendar as presented. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion. Board member Richard Richeson commented that he did not agree with early release days that are included on the calendar. Mr. Richeson felt that instructional time should not be taken away from the students. The motion then passed by a 7-0 vote.
12. 2002 Summer School Program Approved. The proposal to move summer school away from the beginning of summer to mid-summer was brought to the Board for their information at an earlier Board meeting. The program referred to as “Jump Start” had also been shared with the Bloomfield Teachers’ Association. Superintendent Hasler now asked the Board to approve moving the summer school programs to the mid-summer start. He recommended that summer school for the elementary and junior high students begin on July 17, 2002 and end on August 6, 2002 with the high school summer classes starting on July 8, 2002 and ending on August 9, 2002. Keith Hanauer made a motion to approve the 2002 Summer School Program, Jump Start, as recommended. Nancy Canty seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote. Mr. Hasler stated that Driver’s Education courses are not included in the summer school program and a schedule for those courses will be announced at a later time.
13. Board Policy First Reading Held. First reading was held on one (1) school board policy.
#2705 Class Size Policy was presented to the Board for first reading. (See attached) Discussion
was held. This policy will be brought to a later meeting for consideration.
14. Fire Marshall Re-inspection Shows Full Compliance. Mr. Hasler stated that the State Fire Marshall had completed a re-inspection of the elementary and jr./sr. high school and found both to be in full compliance.
15. Re-Keying/Security Update. The superintendent stated that a representative of IntelliKey (computerized locks) had been in the building and helped resolve the problems that had been experienced recently with the new outside door key system. He also stated that the wiring is currently being installed for the security cameras.
16. School Improvement P. L. 221 Update. Jr./sr. high school principal Jerry Snapp presented Superintendent Hasler with the School Improvement Plan for the jr./sr. high school for his review. Mr. Snapp stated that this would have to be updated constantly. Mr. Snapp stated that the committees had worked hard on the plan wanting what is best for Bloomfield students. Elementary principal Mary Jane Vandeventer provided a packet of information for Board members concerning the elementary School Improvement plan. Mr. Hasler commended the principals for their effort in meeting deadlines with the School Improvement plans.
17. Collective Bargaining Update. Superintendent Hasler read a prepared Collect Bargaining Update to the Board and public. (See attached)
18. Adjournment. There being no further business, Marvin Helms made a motion to adjourn. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion. The meeting was then adjourned by a 7-0 vote.