|Written by Bryce McGlothlin|
|Friday, 18 February 2011 10:54|
MINUTES OF REGULAR MEETING OF SCHOOL BOARD
OF BLOOMFIELD SCHOOL DISTRICT
December 20, 2001
The Board of School Trustees of the Bloomfield School District, of Greene County, Indiana, met in regular session on December 20, 2001, at approximately 7:00 p.m. in the jr./sr. high school conference room in Bloomfield School District, 501 West Spring Street, Bloomfield, Indiana. The following school board members were present: Randall Burcham, Nancy Canty, Steve Dowden, Keith Hanauer, Richard Richeson, and Jack Terrell. Marvin Helms was absent. President Terrell called the meeting to order at approximately 7:00 p.m. The following order of business was transacted with the President presiding:
1. Recognitions. Jr./sr. high school assistant principal Stella Royal recognized Caleb Hestand for placing 1st in the American Mathematics Competition recently. Mrs. Royal also recognized Sarah Holmes and Sarah Hazelbaker for receiving 2nd place awards and Shantel Fink for bringing in a 3rd place in that same competition. These students will also receive recognition in the spring at the Awards Program. Board member Nancy Canty mentioned the Elementary Student Council and also Mrs. Stephanie Arthur’s class for collecting a great amount of food for the local food panty.
2. Approval of Minutes. The Board had been provided with minutes of the regular school board meeting held on November 15, 2001, and an executive session held on November 26, 2001, which had been prepared by corporation recording secretary Kelli Vandeventer. Keith Hanauer made a motion to approve the minutes as presented. Randall Burcham seconded the motion. The minutes were approved by a 6-0 vote.
3. Treasurer’s Report. The Board had been provided with the Treasurer’s Report, prepared by corporation treasurer Sue Pritts, consisting of the Appropriation Report and Claims Listing Report. Upon motion duly made by Richard Richeson and seconded by Steve Dowden, the Board by a 6-0 vote approved the Treasurer’s Report.
4. Purchase of Activity Bus Approved. Superintendent Hasler asked the Board to accept a quote and approve the purchase from Midwest Transit Equipment, Inc for a 2002 14-passenger handicap accessible activity bus with a Collins body and a Chevrolet chassis in the net amount of $27,675.16 to be paid for from the General Fund. Randall Burcham made a motion to approve Mr. Hasler’s request. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
5. Purchase of School Automobile Approved. The Board, at their November 15, 2001 school board meeting, had authorized Superintendent Hasler to solicit quotes for a school automobile. Mr. Hasler had done so and now asked the Board to approve his recommendation to accept a quote and approve the purchase from Sternberg Chrysler Center, Inc. for a 2002 Dodge Intrepid in the net amount of $13, 836.00 to be paid from the General Fund. Car “A”, a 1996 Cutlass Ciera would be traded in on the new automobile. Randall Burcham made a motion to approve Superintendent Hasler’s recommendation to purchase the 2002 Dodge Intrepid in the amount of $13,836.00. Richard Richeson seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
6. Equipment Declared Surplus. Mr. Hasler recommended that the Board declare one set of risers obsolete and allow for their disposal. He stated that Mr. Tilford, the band director, had looked at the risers and indicated that he would not be interested in using them. Richard Richeson made a motion to declared the old risers surplus and allow for their disposal. Steve Dowden seconded the motion, which was approved by a 6-0 vote.
7. Elementary Desks and Chairs Declared Surplus. Elementary principal Mary Jane Vandeventer asked that the Board declare the desks and chairs in the sixth grade classrooms obsolete and allow for their disposal. New ones had been ordered to arrive over Christmas break. Superintendent Hasler recommended approval. Nancy Canty made a motion to approve Mr. Hasler’s recommendation. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-vote.
8. Purchase of Security Cameras Approved. Superintendent Hasler recommended that the Board accept a quote and approve the purchase from BancEquip, Inc. for a security camera system. Mr. Hasler stated that BancEquip also had a similar system in a local bank and he had spoken with someone from that bank and found them to be very pleased with the equipment and service provided by BancEquip. Randall Burcham made a motion to approve the quote and purchase of the security camera system from BancEquip, Inc. as recommended by Mr. Hasler. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion. The purchase was approved by a 6-0 vote.
9. Elementary Resource Teacher Resigns. President Terrell read a letter of resignation from Mrs. Ericka Hostetter who teaches elementary learning disabled students. Mrs. Hostetter has decided to be a stay-at-home mother to her new daughter. Mrs. Hostetter’s resignation would be effective November 19, 2001. Superintendent Hasler recommended accepting the resignation. Keith Hanauer made a motion to accept Mrs. Hostetter’s resignation, effective November 19, 2001. Steve Dowden seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
10. Cafeteria Worker Resignation Accepted. Cafeteria worker Joyce Carmichael submitted her letter of resignation effective December 14, 2001, to be accepted by the Board. Nancy Canty made a motion to accept Mrs. Carmichael’s resignation effective December 14, 2001. Steve Dowden seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
11. High School Aide Resigns. High School Aide Angel Raper informed the Board that she wished to resign her position effective December 21, 2001. Mrs. Raper stated in her letter of resignation that she wanted to continue her college education and needed to resign her position at school in order to do that. Nancy Canty made a motion to accept Mrs. Raper’s resignation. Randall Burcham seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
12. Elementary L. D. Resource Teacher Hired. Elementary principal Mary Jane Vandeventer asked the Board to hire Mrs. Janis Shaw as elementary resource teacher assigned to Bloomfield Elementary School for the balance of the 2001-2002 school year. If hired, Mrs. Shaw’s effective date would be January 7, 2002. This position was made open due to the resignation of Ericka Hostetter. Superintendent Hasler recommended approval. Richard Richeson made a motion to hire Mrs. Shaw per Mr. Hasler’s recommendation. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion. Mrs. Shaw was hired by a 6-0 vote.
13. High School Aide Hired. Jr./sr. high school principal Jerry Snapp recommended that the Board hire Mrs. Doris Stout as the high school media aide for the balance of the 2001-2002 school year, effective December 17, 2001. Mrs. Stout would fill the position created as a result of Angela Raper’s resignation. Superintendent Hasler concurred with Mr. Snapp’s recommendation. Steve Dowden made a motion to hire Mrs. Stout as recommended. Nancy Canty seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
14. Project EXCEL Participation Approved. Superintendent Hasler recommended that the Board authorize himself and jr./sr. high school principal Jerry Snapp to sign a Memorandum of Understanding with Vincennes University for Project EXCEL participation. (See attached) Mr. Hasler explained that Project EXCEL provides opportunities for Bloomfield students to earn Vincennes University credit in certain courses. Keith Hanauer made a motion to approve Mr. Hasler’s recommendation as requested. Steve Dowden seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
15. Board Policy First Readings Held. First reading was held on three (3) school board policies. #2431 Interscholastic Athletics, #4162 Alcohol and Controlled Substance Testing for Commercial Drivers’ License (CDL) Employees Policy, and #9151 Civility Policy were presented to the Board for first reading. (See attached) Some
discussion was held and suggestions made. These policies will be brought to a later meeting for consideration and
16. Bloomfield-Eastern Greene County Public Library Board Appointment Made. Superintendent Hasler asked the Board to appoint Bloomfield School Media Specialist Kristie Bladen to the Bloomfield-Eastern Greene County Public Library Board. (See attached) Mrs. Bladen was recommended for the four-year appointment by Carolyn Konnert, director of the public library. Nancy Canty made a motion to appoint Kristie Bladen to the Bloomfield-Eastern Greene County Public Library Board for a four-year term to expire December 1, 2005. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion, which passed by a 5-0-1 vote. Randall Burcham abstained from voting on this item.
17. Collective Bargaining Update. Superintendent Hasler read a prepared Collect Bargaining Update to the Board and public. (See attached)
18. Security Personnel Report. At an earlier board meeting the Board had asked Superintendent Hasler to research the cost of hiring a night watchman compared to hiring that service done. Mr. Hasler told the Board that he had attempted to contact three different firms to get a quote for that service, but was only able to get one quote. Burns/Pinkerton Security of Terre Haute reported that they would supply a night watchman for 5 hours per night Monday through Friday and 8 hours on Saturday and 8 hours Sunday for a total of 41 hours per week for $12.25 per hour. He explained that hiring a night watchman at the current custodian pay rate plus benefits for 41 hours per week would total more than the quote from Burns/Pinkerton. This report was for information only with no action by the Board required.
19. School Improvement – P. L. 221 Update. Jr./sr. high school principal Jerry Snapp stated that the profile committee for the jr./sr. high school would be meeting soon and finalizing the data they had compiled. He stated that goals set forth by North Central Association had been met. Elementary principal Mary Jane Vandeventer provided the Board with a packet with information on what the elementary school is doing concerning P. L. 221. She stated that the elementary is now in the intervention and action planning stage.
20. ISTEP Scores, Preliminary Report. Superintendent Hasler stated that the school had received the summarized data on ISTEP scores, but had not received the actual tests. After receiving the actual tests a complete report will be made by ISTEP test coordinator Lori Lund. Mr. Hasler provided the Board with a comparison sheet reflecting the percent of students meeting the state standard of proficiency in grades 3, 6, 8, 10 in English/Language Arts and Math. (See Attached)
21. Comments and Information from the Public. Tim and Janie Barker appeared before the Board concerning a transfer tuition issue. They presented the Board with a letter explaining their position. The Barker’s live outside the Bloomfield School District boundaries and had received a bill for transfer tuition for their daughter to continue attending the school. It was explained to Mr. and Mrs. Barker that by law if a family does not live in the district they must pay tuition. President Terrell thanked the Barker’s for their comments.
22. Adjournment. There being no further business, Richard Richeson made a motion to adjourn. Steve Dowden seconded the motion. The meeting was then adjourned by a 6-0 vote.