|Written by Bryce McGlothlin|
|Friday, 18 February 2011 10:52|
MINUTES OF REGULAR MEETING OF SCHOOL BOARD
OF BLOOMFIELD SCHOOL DISTRICT
September 13, 2001
The Board of School Trustees of the Bloomfield School District, of Greene County, Indiana, met in regular session on September 13, 2001, at approximately 7:00 p.m. in the jr./sr. high school conference room in Bloomfield School District, 501 West Spring Street, Bloomfield, Indiana. The following school board members were present: Randall Burcham, Nancy Canty, Steve Dowden, Keith Hanauer, Marvin Helms, Richard Richeson, and Jack Terrell. President Terrell called the meeting to order at approximately 7:00 p.m. The following order of business was transacted with the President presiding:
1. Moments of Silence Observed. President Terrell asked for a few moments of silence remembering the victims and their families after the disaster at the hands of terrorist during the past week.
2. Recognitions. Jr./sr. high school principal Stella Royal shared that in light of the crisis that happen the past week she felt that the students had been very respectful, interested, and concerned. Mrs. Royal stated that on Friday right after breakfast there would be a brief convocation, presentation of the colors by the ROTC, the pledge, God Bless America, The Star Spangled Banner, and one of the school music groups would sing. The entire school will observe a Red, White, and Blue day on Friday also. She said that several students had, on their own, conducted prayer service in front of the high school before school began for any students or staff that wanted to attend. Student Council would be conducting a Cardinal Change, collecting money for the people of New York through the Red Cross. Athletic director Jason Skomp recognized the boys’ cross country team for winning the SWIAC.
3. Approval of Minutes. The Board had been provided with minutes of the regular school board meeting held on August 23, 2001, which had been prepared by corporation recording secretary Kelli Vandeventer. Randall Burcham made a motion to approve the minutes as presented. Marvin Helms seconded the motion. The minutes were approved by a 7-0 vote.
4. Treasurer’s Report. The Board had been provided with the Treasurer’s Report, prepared by corporation treasurer Sue Pritts, consisting of the Appropriation Report and Claims Listing Report. Upon motion duly made by Keith Hanauer and seconded by Steve Dowden, the Board by a 7-0 vote approved the Treasurer’s Report.
5. 2002 Budget Adopted. The Board had been provided with the 2002 Budget for General Fund, Debt Service Fund, Capital Projects Fund, Transportation Fund, Bus Replacement Fund, Special Education Pre-school Fund, Capital Projects Plan, and School Bus Replacement Plan. (See attached) The Budget had been published in accordance with the law and a public hearing on the Budget was held on August 23, 2001 with no public comments being made. Nancy Canty made a motion to adopt the 2002 Budget for General Fund, Debt Service Fund, Capital Projects Fund, Transportation Fund, Bus Replacement Fund, Special Education Pre-school Fund, Capital Projects Plan, and School Bus Replacement Plan as provided. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
6. Approval Given for Creation of Plans for School Property. Superintendent Hasler recommended that the Board approve the creation of plans by Veazey Parrott Durkin & Shoulders to create a Land Lab/Outdoor Classroom/Outdoor Athletic Facility on the “Lundy Property” the Board purchased in 1999. Keith Hanauer made a motion to approve the recommendation as requested. Randall Burcham seconded the motion. Mr. Hasler explained some of the proposed plan. After some discussion, the motion passed by a 6-1 vote. Richard Richeson cast the nay vote.
7. 2001-2002 ECA Recommendations Approved. Board members were provided with ECA recommendations for the 2001-2002 school year from athletic director Jason Skomp. Mr. Skomp recommended Kelly Spelts as elementary cheerleader sponsor, Ed Jackson as girls’ softball coach, Michael Hayes as girls’ assistant softball coach, Roger Gooding as girls’ assistant softball coach, and Brett Munden as a volunteer varsity assistant boys’ basketball coach. Superintendent Hasler and Mr. Snapp included their support of the recommendations. Randall Burcham made a motion to approve the recommendations as presented. Marvin Helms seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-1 vote. Nancy Canty cast the nay vote and stated she did not feel that three softball coaches were needed.
8. Cafeteria II Employment Approved. Cafeteria supervisor Maxine Hayes asked the Board to hire Laura Weddle as a Cafeteria II employee effective September 17, 2001. This would be a 3-hour cafeteria position and is required due to an increase in the number of students participating in the breakfast program. Superintendent Hasler stated that hiring could be accommodated within this year’s food service budget without an increase in breakfast or lunch prices for 2001-2002. Mr. Hasler included his approval of the request. Steve Dowden made a motion to hire Ms. Weddle as requested. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion. Ms. Weddle was hired by a 7-0 vote.
9. Choral Music Department Trips Approved. Choral music director Sheila Jerrels asked the Board to approve two field trips to Chicago Illinois involving Joyful Noise, Cardinalsong, and Center Stage. The Cardinalsong and Center Stage groups would perform in Chicago on May 2, 3, 4, and 5, 2002. Joyful Noise would travel to Chicago on May 9, 10, 11, and 12, 2002. Keith Hanauer made a motion to approve the trips as requested. Randall Burcham seconded the motion, which passed by a 7-0 vote.
10. Administrative Regulation Amended. Discussion was held by the Board on Administrative Regulation #1417 Job Description, Athletic Director. Steve Dowden asked that all coaches be evaluated in writing each year by the athletic director. Athletic director Jason Skomp stated that he did plan to evaluate each coach in writing each year. The administrative regulation was reviewed and it was decided that it met the Boards’ expectations.
11. Enrollment Update. Superintendent Hasler stated that ADM count day would be September 14, 2001. He said that enrollment is up when compared to last year.
12. PTO Carnival Date Announced. Elementary principal Mary Jane Vandeventer announced that the PTO Carnival would be held on September 28, 2001from 6:00 p.m. until 8:30 p.m. at the school. She invited everyone to attend. Athletic director Jason Skomp announced that the Dick Bock Golf Scramble had been rescheduled for October 14, 2001 due to rain.
13. Adjournment. There being no further business, Marvin Helms made a motion to adjourn. Steve Dowden seconded the motion. The meeting was then adjourned by a 7-0 vote.