|Written by Bryce McGlothlin|
|Friday, 18 February 2011 10:52|
MINUTES OF REGULAR MEETING OF SCHOOL BOARD
OF BLOOMFIELD SCHOOL DISTRICT
August 23, 2001
The Board of School Trustees of the Bloomfield School District, of Greene County, Indiana, met in regular session on August 23, 2001, at approximately 7:00 p.m. in the jr./sr. high school conference room in Bloomfield School District, 501 West Spring Street, Bloomfield, Indiana. The following school board members were present: Randall Burcham, Nancy Canty, Steve Dowden, Keith Hanauer, Marvin Helms, and Jack Terrell. Richard Richeson was absent. President Terrell called the meeting to order at approximately 7:00 p.m. The following order of business was transacted with the President presiding:
1. Recognitions. Jr./sr. high school principal Jerry Snapp recognized the boys cross country team for winning the Greene County Invitational and the girls cross country team for coming in 3rd place.
2. Approval of Minutes. Upon motion duly made by Marvin Helms to approve the minutes of the regular meeting held on July 26, 2001, a executive session held on July 31, 2001, and special session held on August 8, 2001, and seconded by Nancy Canty, the Board, by a vote of 6-0, adopted said minutes.
3. Treasurer’s Report. The Board had been provided with the Treasurer’s Report consisting of the Appropriation Report and Claims Listing Report. Upon motion duly made by Nancy Canty and seconded by Steve Dowden, the Board, by a 6-0 vote, approved the Treasurer’s Report.
4. Public Hearing Held on 2002 Budget, Capital Projects Plan, and School Bus Replacement Plan. President Terrell read Superintendent Hasler’s explanation that said Indiana law required the Board to conduct a public hearing on the 2002 Budget, the Capital Projects Fund Plan, and the School Bus Replacement Plan. On August 8, 2001, the Board authorized the Superintendent to advertise the 2002 Budget. The notices were published on August 10, 2001 and August 17, 2001 in The Evening World and August 13, 2001 and August 20, 2001 in the Linton Daily Citizen. The budget is scheduled for adoption at the September 13, 2001 meeting of the Board. No public comments were made. President Terrell continued with the remainder of the meeting.
5. Parents Supplemental Transportation Contract Approved. Superintendent Hasler recommended that the Board approve a Parents Supplemental Transportation Contract between the ABC Daycare owned by Larry and Debbie Baird and Matt O’Neall who is a contracted bus driver for the school district. (See attached contract) Randall Burcham made a motion to approve the contract as provided. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion, which was approved by a 6-0 vote.
6. 2001-2002 ECA Recommendations Approved. Board members were provided with ECA recommendations for the 2001-2002 school year from athletic director Jason Skomp and jr./sr. high school principal Jerry Snapp. Mr. Skomp and Mr. Snapp recommended Stephanie Arthur as 7th, 8th, and 9th grade cheerleader sponsor, Scott Yoho as boys’ 5th and 6th grade basketball coach, Josh Thompson as boys’ 7th and 8th grade basketball coach, David Burkett as boys’ 9th grade basketball coach, Misty Norris as girls’ junior varsity basketball coach, Brad O’Neall as girls’ 6th and 8th grade basketball coach, Melissa Cochrane as girls’ 7th grade basketball coach, Nicole Schantz Cook as pom pom sponsor for grades 9-12, and Michael Hayes as girls’ 5th grade basketball coach. Mr. Skomp was present and withdrew his recommendation to hire Misty Norris as girls’ junior varsity basketball coach because he had not yet been able to contact her or head coach Amy Amstutz about the position. Superintendent Hasler included his approval of the recommendations. Randall Burcham made a motion to approve the recommendations as presented with the exception of the recommendation for Misty Norris as girls’ junior varsity basketball coach, which was withdrawn. Marvin Helms seconded the motion. The motion passed by a 6-0 vote.
7. Elementary School Aides Hired. Elementary principal Mary Jane Vandeventer asked the Board to approve Stacey Helms as a fifth grade aide and extend Kathy Uebel from 0.5 fte to full-time aide at Bloomfield Elementary effective August 27, 2001. Superintendent Hasler stated that enrollment numbers in the elementary warranted the hiring of these two aides. Marvin Helms made a motion to hire Mrs. Helms and Mrs. Uebel as requested. Nancy Canty seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
8. Authority Granted to Pay for Additional Hours. Superintendent Hasler asked the Board to allow high school guidance counselor Margaret Osmon 4 days of additional compensation, at her regular hourly rate, for training for the new computer student management software. He stated that Mrs. Osmon was the only certified staff member who required this training. Randall Burcham made a motion to pay Mrs. Osmon for 4 days at her regular hourly rate of pay. Steve Dowden seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
9. Delegate to ISBA Fall Conference Named. Keith Hanauer was named to serve as the Board Delegate for the Indiana School Boards Association Fall Conference to be held in Indianapolis on September 24 & 25, 2001.
10. Preliminary Enrollment Numbers. Superintendent Hasler had given the Board preliminary enrollment figures for the 2001-2002 school year as of Wednesday, August 15th. He explained that comparing enrollment from last year to this year’s enrollment on about the same date shows an increase of enrollment of 29.5 students, counting kindergarten students as 0.5 fte. Mr. Hasler said he would have another update at the next board meeting.
11. Collective Bargaining Update. Superintendent Hasler stated that August 16, 2001 had been the first bargaining session with IEERB mediator Vicky Martin present. The bargaining teams will be meeting again with Ms. Martin on October 23, 2001.
12. Adjournment. There being no further business, Marvin Helms made a motion to adjourn. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion. The meeting was then adjourned by a 6-0 vote.