|Written by Bryce McGlothlin|
|Friday, 18 February 2011 10:51|
MINUTES OF REGULAR MEETING OF SCHOOL BOARD
OF BLOOMFIELD SCHOOL DISTRICT
July 26, 2001
The Board of School Trustees of the Bloomfield School District, of Greene County, Indiana, met in regular session on July 26, 2001, at approximately 7:00 p.m. in the jr./sr. high school conference room in Bloomfield School District, 501 West Spring Street, Bloomfield, Indiana. The following school board members were present: Nancy Canty, Steve Dowden, Keith Hanauer, Marvin Helms, Richard Richeson and Jack Terrell. Randall Burcham was absent. President Terrell called the meeting to order at approximately 7:00 p.m. The following order of business was transacted with the President presiding:
1. Brief Comments & Information from the Public on Agenda Items. Bloomfield Teachers Association president Steve Wikle read a prepared statement asking the Board to not vote to change health insurance carriers at this board meeting. Mr. Wikle stated that by law health insurance is a bargainable item between the BTA and the Board. President Terrell thanked Mr. Wikle for his comments.
2. Approval of Minutes. Upon motion duly made by Keith Hanauer to approve the minutes of the regular meeting and executive session held on June 28, 2001, a special meeting held on July 5, 2001, and an executive session held on July 19, 2001,and seconded by Nancy Canty, the Board, by a vote of 6-0, adopted said minutes.
3. Treasurer’s Report. The Board had been provided with the Treasurer’s Report consisting of the Appropriation Report and Claims Listing Report. Upon motion duly made by Marvin Helms and seconded by Richard Richeson, the Board, by a 6-0 vote, approved the Treasurer’s Report.
4. Request Approved for Reduced Administrator Contract. Superintendent Hasler presented the Board with a request from jr./sr. high school principal Stella Royal asking that the Board permit her to reduce her contract to 120 days per year for the 2001-2002 school year. This would be 3/5th’s of her present contract at a salary of $32,400.00. Superintendent Hasler stated that Mrs. Royal would receive full benefits and leave time for this period of time. He included his recommendation to approve Mrs. Royal’s request. Richard Richeson made a motion to allow Mrs. Royal to return to the 2001-2002 school year with contract terms as described above. Nancy Canty seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
5. Elementary Music Teacher Hired. Elementary principal Mary Jane Vandeventer asked the Board to employ Mrs. Andrea Hagemeier as the elementary music teacher assigned to Bloomfield Elementary School for the 2001-2002 school year. If hired, Mrs. Hagemeier would begin teaching on August 13, 2001 under a 6/7th contract. Superintendent Hasler included his approval. Keith Hanauer made a motion to hire Mrs. Andrea Hagemeier to teach elementary music under a 6/7th contract for the Bloomfield Elementary School for the 2001-2002 school year. Steve Dowden seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote. Mrs. Hagameier was in attendance at the meeting and was welcomed by the Board.
6. Resource Teacher Hired for 7th and 8th Grade. Jr.-sr. high school assistant principal Stella Royal asked the Board to hire Mrs. Stephanie Arthur to be the 7th and 8th grade resource teacher for students with special needs for the 2001-2002 school year. Superintendent Hasler approved of Mrs. Royal’s recommendation. Nancy Canty made a motion to hire Mrs. Stephanie Arthur to be the 7th and 8th grade resource teacher effective August 13, 2001 as recommended. Marvin Helms seconded the motion. Mrs. Arthur was hired by a 6-0 vote.
7. Approval to Pay Additional Hours to Technology Coordinator. Superintendent Hasler explained to the Board that technology coordinator Michelle Mattox has had to work extra hours this summer to convert data currently in the Komputrol System to a format that can be imported to the new Student Information Records System (Sirs). Mr. Hasler recommended paying Mrs. Mattox for 40 additional hours, which according to the negotiated agreement with the Bloomfield Teachers Association must be paid at her hourly contract rate. Nancy Canty made a motion to pay Mrs. Mattox an additional 40 hours at her hourly contract rate. Keith Hanauer seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
8. Elementary Teacher Hired for Maternity Leave. Elementary principal Mary Jane Vandeventer recommended that the Board hire Mrs. Janis Shaw to cover Ericka Hostetter’s maternity leave the first semester of the 2001-2002 school year. Superintendent Hasler concurred with Mrs. Vandeventer’s recommendation. Keith Hanauer made a motion to hire Mrs. Shaw per Mrs. Vandeventer’s request. Steve Dowden seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
9. Authority to Hire ECA Positions Granted. Superintendent Hasler asked the Board to grant him authority to hire any necessary ECA position that would begin prior to the next board meeting. Richard Richeson made a motion to authorize the superintendent to fill any necessary ECA position prior to the next board meeting. Marvin Helms seconded the motion, which passed by a 6-0 vote.
10. Board Approves Change in Health Insurance Carrier. Superintendent Hasler recommended that the Board change from Anthem to Dunn and Associates as the employees’ health insurance carrier. Mr. Hasler’s recommendation stated that Anthem Insurance Companies, Inc. had notified the school that they would be changing the health insurance plan as of the July 1, 2001, renewal date. The proposed plan did not meet the benefits outlined in Appendix E of the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the Board and the Bloomfield Teachers Association. Two other companies were invited to present a plan that met the specifications of the Collectively Bargained Agreement, Indiana State Teachers Association Insurance Trust (ISTAIT) and Dunn and Associates of Columbus. The ISTAIT plan did not match the benefits in Appendix E. The plan from Dunn and Associates is a self-insured plan, so it can meet the benefits in Appendix E. Keith Hanauer made a motion to change health insurance carrier for Bloomfield School employees from Anthem to Dunn and Associates. Richard Richeson seconded the motion. Mr. Hasler stated that this situation put the school between a rock and a hard spot. He said that this change is not effecting the health insurance presently being bargained, but is trying to keep health insurance benefits in the current agreement in place. He said that he had a letter from Anthem stating that they would not continue the present coverage and would cancel the employee health insurance. Mr. Hasler felt that having no health insurance coverage would be a disaster for everyone involved. The Board then voted to change the health insurance carrier from Anthem to Dunn and Associates by a 6-0 vote.
11. Elementary Receives Project 4 Rs Technology Grant. Mr. Hasler shared that in May a team of primary elementary teachers wrote a grant for additional technology equipment for grades K-1. The proposal was awarded $27,000 for the July 1, 2001 – June 30, 2002 period and will be used to purchase computers and related equipment for the kindergarten and 1st grade classrooms. Mr. Hasler stated that several teachers had stayed and worked numerous hours preparing the grant and commended them for their efforts.
12. Collective Bargaining Update. Superintendent Hasler explained that the Board’s and the Teacher’s Bargaining teams have met four times, two times to discuss the current health insurance and two times to discuss contract proposals. Mr. Hasler said that the Board’s team has decided that the teams have reached impasse and are requesting that the Indiana Education Employment Relations Board (IEERB) appoint a mediator to help facilitate the settlement. He continued that the Board felt that with the bleak school funding projections for the next two years the two groups would need the assistance of IEERB to reach an equitable settlement.
13. Adjournment. There being no further business, Keith Hanauer made a motion to adjourn. Marvin Helms seconded the motion. The meeting was then adjourned by a 6-0 vote.